Type R or Standard STI ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 08:51 AM
Diablo007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Type R or Not Type R ?

The question is given the choice between a Sti 6 4 door and the 2 door type R which would be the best to go for?

Main differences seen to be obviously the 4-door/2-door difference. The Adjustable central diff on the Type R and therefore the lack of ABS. The type R weighs less and has a slightly shorter ratio in the gears giving a marginal difference in 0-60 times and general performance. Quotes on both cars seem to vary from 4.3 to 5 seconds on 0-60, Do people generally agree with this as being true?

Also with the 4 door having 4 channel ABS and the Type R having none (although having up rated brakes), then as far as braking and general driving is concerned is there a massive difference between having the ABS or not ?

Also as a past UK turbo 200 driver how does the overall feel of an Sti and Sti Type R differ to the UK model, is it just acceleration?

Also does anyone own a V-limited edition and is there anything other than cosmetics that make that standout from a normal Sti ?

Also do all type Rs come with the roof vent or is that just on the v-limited special edition?.

Given the choice between the Type R and a normal Sti both version 6 and for sake of argument the same price which would you chose?

Thank you anyone and all for your comments!

Darren
Old 05 February 2003, 09:30 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

If your a good driver and like to 'drive' go for the Type R
Old 05 February 2003, 09:36 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

If you want the roof vent, quick rack, WI and centre diff and all the other bits and piece then you need the STI Type R V-limited version to make sure they are all on. If you want the 4 door equivalent of that its called an STI Type RA V-limited. The standard STI is probably easier to live with, ie has ABS, normal gearing (manic gearing on the R and RA), bit quieter, than the Type R/RA. I was looking for a Type R but brought an RA purely so I had 4 doors.

[Edited by chrisp - 2/5/2003 9:39:48 AM]
Old 05 February 2003, 10:12 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

I went for the Type R. Gears are marginally shorter but i find them spot on as i dont really do a lot of motorway miles in the thing.
I suppose the Type R could feel different to drive than a 4 door because of the extra rigidity of the 2 door shell, could that lead to the back end being a bit more skittish?
My first Type R was on its standard suspension set up running 17's and i found that to be quite aggresive in terms of the back end suddenly trying to swing out!
My current Type R is running Leda B with 18's and i find it a whole lot better, just grips and grips.
I suppose the ABS issue is down to you and wether your confident to go without.

Either way you choose your going to be delighted with the performance. It boils down to what your going to use the car for ie 4 doors are better for the family thing etc..

XXX
Old 05 February 2003, 10:29 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

agree with triple x.

went from 93wrx to type r. you can feel straight away the car is much more rigid.

seating space in the rear remains the same.

but very quick off the line due to close ratio box. its more like a rear wheel drive car as distribution is roughly 65/35.

had a few scares in the snow but once used to it, a very quick track day car. doesnt need much modification though, kept mine std and it kept up with, if not faster, most heavily modded scooby's on track and runs.
Old 05 February 2003, 11:29 AM
Diablo007
Scooby Regular

Question

Can the rear of the Type R really be called skittish?

All I mean by the is if you compare the grip from a Type R in a wet corner in comparison to say a Honda S2000, BMW M3 or Porsche Boxster. All different cars and all have a fair wedge to the rear wheels but I doubt they would grip as well as the Type R ?? Or would they ?

Or is it just that the Type R could be considered skittish in comparison to a Non-Type R Sti or standard UK model ?

Old 05 February 2003, 11:50 AM
DangerousDave
Scooby Regular

Type R is more stiffly sprung/damped than any UK car, so together with higher rear torque trans bias, it can be more skittish, more prone to oversteer, rather than 'wife friendly' understeer.

Makes car a much better driver's car (better turn in) and Type R experience is much more 'special'...

I've got a V5 V-Ltd Type R and I love it to bits...

Daver
Old 05 February 2003, 12:04 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Obviously the Type R isnt rear wheel drive so would be LESS prone to oversteer than some of the cars mentioned. But they need respect in the wet especially when your getting used to them. Talking from experiance after a couple of spins. In the dry they are truely awesome
Old 05 February 2003, 12:06 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
All you have to do is use the centre diff controller properly in the wet and you have vastly MORE grip than any other Impreza.

Old 05 February 2003, 12:20 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

john,

so how much do we need to adjust, say, in wet conditions?

was told that a max of 2 notches from the bottom would be the best, and not go for the 'lock' position. personally, i have never messed around with the diff coz i drive like a granny. on track i have always used the std rear biased setting.
Old 05 February 2003, 12:27 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

I used the centre diff the other night in the snow. The cars rear end wanted to become the front end! Went up a couple of positions on the diff and bobs ur uncle. Dont really thrash the thing in the wet so always left in normal position.
Old 05 February 2003, 12:54 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well i'm still guna upgrade to a type R, from turbo 2000, in 9 months time but in the mean time can u lot with em stop gloating lol
Si
Old 05 February 2003, 12:55 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

BTW surely type R of same age etc will cost more than STi? Just wondering wot is rough guide to prices as i recall rex's or was it just STi's are around 20% more than UK cars?
Ta
Si
Old 05 February 2003, 12:57 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

type r all the way!..
Old 05 February 2003, 01:11 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

My brother and I purchased our scoobs at the same time and same dealership, only diff was he went for the v6 STi and I had the v6 TypeR....

Once both had been run in we swapped for a while and drove them back to back with each others.

I really could not believe how different they felt, mine just felt much more rigid and a lot more of a race car and his certainly felt easier to live with on a day to day basis. Getting back in my car from his Its hard to explain his never felt bad or poor handling etc just not as well bolted together!!!!.

If your not driving long distances on regular occasions I'd go for the typeR, the short box ratio's seem ideal for the roads round my way coz you dont have to chop down at 60-70 mph to overtake just nail it and away she goes. Had a bit of a blast with a mate and his new M3 other week and thought oh well he's gonna bugger of down the straights but lets have a play anyway. Well lets just say he never made any distance on me at all. Think he was a bit gutted that he never lost me cos aint heard owt from him all week and he did'nt look best pleased at the time that his 46k car was being hounded by my rice rocket as he'd put it.

And using the diff now after reading JF's summary of it makes it handle like bloody go cart. I kept thinking of changing but want another 2door, so come IM sort out another typeR...

how much do you need 4 doors....

dazza
Old 05 February 2003, 01:37 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

A very usefull read

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=143750&Page=1
Old 05 February 2003, 02:00 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

thanks john,

u're a star! makes more sense now, hopefully this will deter/reduce
further slides in snow storm. obvious cant really obliterate all poosibilities of losing control.
Old 05 February 2003, 02:15 PM
Diablo007
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers John, That link was v useful and answers a lot !

Given what everyone says me thinks come July I should be the proud owner of an Sti 6 Type R !

Only small question remaining is that I would prefer the V-limited special edition but how easy are they going to be to get hold of barring in mind they made 1000 of them ? Just curious.

Quoting around about 14-15K too much or what ?
Old 05 February 2003, 02:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

it depends on miles/condition/spec. You can pay anything from £13K-£20K for one it seems. £14K-£16K seems the average sort of figure for a nice non modified version.
Old 05 February 2003, 02:38 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

R those figures for the STi6 type R i presume older versions will be a tad lighter on the wallet
Si
Old 05 February 2003, 02:57 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

for the 5/6 IMHO, they are very similar cars in spec, the 6 will be a little more than a 5, but not a lot.
Old 05 February 2003, 03:07 PM
Diablo007
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was quoted around the 15K for a good condition early 2000 Sti 6 type R.

Seemed good to me.

Looking forward to ripping my bosses Audi S4 to bits !
Old 05 February 2003, 05:33 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Out of interest, i have asked b4 & never got a response, wot is the split in the likes of a standard turbo 2000 or rex? 50:50 or 60:40?
Ta
Si (& his hunger for da type R ting hmm lol)
Old 05 February 2003, 05:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The diferences are major, it's not just the torque split (50/50 on a UK & STi non TypeR/RA car) but it's the type of diffs used. The diff on the UK and normal STi is viscous rear/centre and open front. The diffs on my RA are plated front/rear and electromagnetic mechanical centre. They feel totally diferent.
Old 05 February 2003, 06:18 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

sounds fun Just gota get driving lessons from saxo boy (subsection 32b joke lol)
Si
Old 05 February 2003, 07:13 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

I've just got my STI 4 RA V Limited on the road and its awesome! Friends cannot believe how aggresive the acceleration is, gears 1-4 are very low then 5th is like a bit of an overdrive so it sits at 80 at 4000 rpm so in theary its good for 160 (8k red line)

Being a V limited it has all the bits like Electric diff air con and roof vent. I went for the 4 doors as its less hassle when taking people out.

The RA is also fitted with a quick rack and lightened body shell. I get on with the gears fine but I don't go on motorways alot, but lets face it these are not really meant to be comfy on long runs.
Old 05 February 2003, 07:22 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Had my Version 5 Type R for nearly a year now and still cant wipe the smile off my face when I drive it!!!!!!!!!

I would say though that it isnt a good choise if you have to do a lot of motorway miles etc...............Just remember it basically is a road going rally car!!!!! Nothing subtle about it.........
Old 06 February 2003, 09:52 AM
BKS 6
Scooby Regular

Two years of sti5 type r allways gave me a smile and as said before wicked performance
Old 06 February 2003, 03:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have had my STI 5 Type R for a year now and it is great!!

I do 230 mile trips (115 each way) every other weekend or so and I dont find it too bad, sits about 80mph doing about 4000rpm, 90mph is about 4400rpm. Mine has Group A equal length manifold as well as Scoobysport down pipe, centre & back box so is probably bit more noisy than one with standard exhaust etc. Got some sound mat stuff in boot to cut down noise bit too.

The acceleration is amazing!! scares some of my passengers!!!

Mine cost me £13,500 wiv the above mods already fitted when I got it plus it had uprated breaks/17" prodrives/Link ECU/Knocklink/Lamdalink, to give you some idea.

Go get one!!!

.....forgot to say its a MY99 & had done 37K miles when I got it!

[Edited by stiscooby - 2/6/2003 3:12:27 PM]

[Edited by stiscooby - 2/6/2003 3:14:01 PM]
Old 11 February 2003, 04:30 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

STIscooby;

Did you get yours private, or from a dealer??
If you got it from a dealer, then who and where??? It is just the car that I am after and about the right price too!

Quick Reply: Type R or Standard STI ?