Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI8 test drive... 320 miles later...

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2003, 10:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, blagger that I am, I managed to persuade a truly wonderful chap that lending me his car to go to Milton Keynes and back in from Yorkshire was a great idea, as it'd put more miles on and get it run in... The shock when he said yes almost killed me

So, with no small amount of excitement, I swapped my MY00 turbo with SS downpipe, SS backbox and dawes for an STI 8 with PPP for the day, with a mere 600 miles on the clock.

Unlocking the car gives a four-barrel noise of "double locks" unlocking. Security is improved on this car.

Start up, drive off.
First impression: refinement.

The flat 4 burble is still there, despite concerns that it'd go with the equal length manifold. It's quieter, but still a fantastic noise. Grown up.

Seats are wider across the back. Still supportive, but wider. Not as adjustable as my MY00s though, no adjustment of the front height possible, only the overall height. (If you're a shortarse, you can sit verrry high).

Steering wheel is just right. Silly that such a small thing makes a massive difference, but it's just right. Refinement... They've worked at this.

The stereo is, without doubt, not refined. It's a bag of poo, really. My wife's clio is a shedload better. But I can't criticise too much as the car's soundtrack does the job

Boot's good and big.

Oh, enough spouting, what's it like to drive?

The brakes are, quite simply, fantastic. Superb. Wonderful. Initial bite is all you want (not too much, not too little) and the feel is perfect, progressive and powerful. This is how brakes should be. Better than the Prodrive setup on a P1. I'm not even going to mention my MY00, apart from getting back into it I almost killed myself first time I used them. The brakes alone are almost worth the extra over the WRX. They are that good

The engine is delicious. Torque is there from 2.5k in goodly amounts. From 3k, it's finding its legs seriously ("headbutting the horizon" probably sums it up) and by 4k (sometimes a little higher as the shift light is set at 4.5) I'm changing all too soon. This, when run in, will be a flying machine. Awesome.

Aah, the gearbox. I wasn't a fan of the STI7 gearbox as it felt detached and uninvolving. Dunno if they've improved it for the 8 or the 7 was just a bad example, but this gearbox wants to be used. It's easy, precise, fast, and a good 'un.

Wet (slighly snowy) roundabouts in Milton Keynes are a fun place to find out what these new fangled diffs are like. Awesome sorta sums it up.

I don't class myself as a technically wonderful driver, and I've always thought I sort of understood what "throttle adjustability" was. I even thought I'd demonstrated it sometimes.

Erm, no.

The STI, in 300 miles, has taught me what throttle adjustability is. The diffs are part of what makes this car so bloody fantastic. Set the car up, and plaaaay around a long corner. Brilliant, just brilliant. Feels really refined and involving compared to an MY00.

Steering with the quickrack and smaller steering wheel just finishes it off. I thought the steering was a bit inert, but put a touch of speed on and it communicates.

This car feels so excellently and thoroughly sorted as a package with refinements to appeal to the driver.

Any negatives?

Yes.

The suspension is hard, which I can live with. It's on a par with EVO 6 harshness in my opinion. What really bothered me was that it felt like the car was "bouncing" sometimes, particularly at around 80 on the motorway. Some bumps would be soaked up, yet others would start the car bouncing around.

On the way down, this was making me wonder if I could live with the car. Then we hit the roundabout city

Speaking with the owner, apparently the STI 7 was the same until it had around 3000 miles on it. Whether the springs need some sort of settling in, I don't know, but it felt like a resonant frequency was being found occasionally, and that the dampers weren't controlling the springs' energy.

If I sound like I'm a bit up myself ("throttle adjustability", "communicative steering") then it's because my eyes have been opened... I thought the MY00 turbo was a fantastic car - and I still do - but it's like a machine gun in its subtlety. The STI8 is, in comparison, the finest assasin; everything it does, it finesses (apart from the body control on a bump on the m/way) in a decidedly personal, one-on-one way.

I am truly stunned at how much more fun this car was than my own, and I wasn't giving it large because it's being run in, it isn't mine and the owner is a friend, and I want it to stay that way. Even so, it's mind blowing.

The overwhelming feeling is not of the power, but it's of the exhilerating experience and refinement to thrill the driver. Power is a small but important part of that: it's the way it handles that power that blows you away.

Sounds like I'm gushing, doesn't it? I probably am a bit

Would I have one as my only drive? I'm still working out whether I could live with the suspension...

Thanks again to the owner, it was a great experience.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 30 January 2003, 11:01 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice review

Tim
Old 31 January 2003, 02:40 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scratch another MY00 owner

Nick - whatdya gonna do fer ICE in the new car you are gonna order?

Or are you still stuck in the wagon mode...(in which case get a GT-B or JDM WRX Sports wagon m8)

Cheers
Old 31 January 2003, 02:58 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Actually the STi7 Std stereo is far worse than the STI8 one both are utter cr4p but the STi7 is the worse

Tony
Old 31 January 2003, 04:45 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

No matter for Nick, Tony, I bet the std one won't make it out of the dealer - or if it does, not much firther than his home
Old 31 January 2003, 08:09 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think we can safely say that the stereo won't be there for long if I do go for the STI . It's really up to whether we can live with the ride. As for wagon, the boot seems huuuge so wagon/saloon is less of an issue.

Drive one, as the experience really is that good. Forgot to mention how the diffs worked for me exiting a wet roundabout...

Power on, and rather than washing out, the front actually tightens its line! I really don't claim to understand what's going on, other than to know that I now like it a lot

Thanks again to the owner, you're a star mate
Nick.
Old 31 January 2003, 08:12 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Nice review Nick. Almost perfectly summed up my feelings after my first few days of STi8 ownership.

However, coming from a P1, I'm not sure I'd call the suspension 'harsh'. In fact I find it almost relaxing in comparison.

Can't wait for my PPP.

Josh
Old 31 January 2003, 08:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Perhaps harsh is the wrong word then... It's that "bouncy" feeling that seemed really out of character for the car. Does yours do the same, or am I just being a wuss? I've driven a P1 on the same bit of motorway and didn't feel the problems at all, but then the P1 was well run in at that point so perhaps it is just the springs bedding in.

The PPP will, without doubt, put a grin on your face. Even limited to 4k (well, 4.5k) the car wants to go so much more.

Reading it again, I seem quite keen on an STI, don't I?
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 31 January 2003, 08:28 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Good review Nick.

Jammy git

Just as point, i did not think the UK spec STi8 had equal length headers, thought that was for the twin scroll JDM version.

You WILL drive my car now, as i would like a suitable report

Steven
Old 31 January 2003, 08:41 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

You didn't sound to keen at all Nick You're not commision then?

I loved the P1's suspension, especially at speed. It could be a little harsh at slow speeds though.

I have to admit that the STi's felt quite similar to the P1 on similar, bumpy, roads. However, when I drove Rum's STi7 on the same roads, it felt better. How much of that was down to the 12k he had on the clock, and how much was down to the 18's I don't know.

I'll find out about that next week too.

Josh
Old 31 January 2003, 09:41 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chiark,

Great report ...and always a pleasure

It'll be very interesting to see what the cars like in a couple of thousand miles...or maybe even with a new set of springs??? Tho thats something which I will no doubt discuss with the appropriate dealer and Prodrive

The STI7 did settle down after a few thousand miles...and as I mentioned last night to start with it was certainly a "sickly" bouncy ride...however it soon settled in and by the time I got back from the Cat it was all settled

As for the Stereo, I think that Dr Evil has found a suitable replacement to the standard issue ....tho in order for that to be purchased and installed I think I will have to re-mortgage!!!

Once again, great report and a pleasure

Rum*
Old 31 January 2003, 09:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

aaah, wasn't sure about the manifold. Whatever they've done, even with the PPP exhaust the note has changed for the better in terms of noise. It's quieter by a huuuge margin, and sounds a bit smoother which made me wonder if they'd played with the manifold. It still sounds fantastic, particularly when it's starting to wind up the revs. There'd be no problems with this car on any track, IMHO. (Please let's not open that debate again!!!!!)

It's a load quieter than an STI 7 with PPP, and I wondered if it was due to manifold.

Josh, good point about the 18s - Tom's car has these fitted. Whether the change in unsprung weight means something is well beyond my knowledge...

One thing I forgot to mention: fuel economy. Brimmed on optimax before I left, and brimmed at Woodall service with optimax. 50 litres dead on, 265 miles. That's about 24 to the gallon whilst running in, though it did get a "range" of throttle positions. (Honest Tom, I wasn't caning it ). I even left Tom with half a tank more of petrol. Was going to siphon it out, but I thought that a tad childish not to mention ungrateful!
Old 31 January 2003, 10:45 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice write up Nick (if a little evangellical for my liking ),

The suspension I agree is a little harsh and slighty bouncy sometimes on the 7 also, I think the spring and damper rates are not properly matched perhaps. I am hoping that the PPP Springs will solve this issue whilst also improving body control (and slightly more asthetically pleasing).

Tom, what are your thoughts on the differences between the 7 and the 8?

Ta,

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 1/31/2003 10:48:26 AM]
Old 31 January 2003, 10:49 AM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the 8 PPP is an ECUTEK type or exactly as the 7?

Cheers

RB
Old 31 January 2003, 10:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I did wonder if the springs were too "strong" and the dampers were failing to control them, but as I know nothing about suspension set-up I am utterly unqualified to comment.

Evangelical? Me? I have seen the light!

Yeah, it's very evangelical, but I was honestly blown away by the difference in subtlety of the cars. The MY00 is in comparison very crude, the STI is absolutely honed to delight.

Back in my car today, and my car feels wonderful once more. It really is saying something when a new car comprehensively destroys a car that I've had for three and a half years, and think is the bee's knees.

It really is that good, as well Mutant_matt knows from going from an MY00 to his STI

Next thing you know, I'll be asking John Felstead for tips on mini-novel writing
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 31 January 2003, 11:06 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

From what I've heard, from now on PPP for either the 8 or 7 will be done with Ecutek. I could have misunderstood this, but that's how I interpreted what I was told
Old 31 January 2003, 12:07 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rum - re-mortgage ROFL nah not really - I can get you a good deal!

PPP is defo Ecutek on STi8 / WRX '03.

Rgds, Alex
Old 31 January 2003, 12:27 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting. I had mine done @ prodrive at the start of the year so I guess could be either. Do you know if the piggy back board is external to the ECU on the old skool PPP? - i.e can you tell by looking at it?

Thanks!

RB
Old 31 January 2003, 01:08 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick,

BTW, I warned Josh the other day and I will warn you now. You must remember that the new STi is a big heavy slow thing and it can't possibly be better than the old shape car because on paper, it's slower and the old shape owners say so

Caureful now, we wouldn't want you to get into trouble with your fellow old shape owners

Matt
Old 31 January 2003, 02:26 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

chiark said:
"I thought the MY00 turbo was a fantastic car - and I still do - but it's like a machine gun in its subtlety. The STI8 is, in comparison, the finest assasin; everything it does, it finesses (apart from the body control on a bump on the m/way) in a decidedly personal, one-on-one way."

That's why I LOVE my MY00. Raw and lunatic. Adore her.
I test drove an 02 WRX and it was BORING, I felt. Haven't had an STi7 or STi8 out though, but would be interested in doing so, especially after your review of the new one!
But at the end of the day I've just finished paying off my 2000, so do I really want to debt myself up with a new car or just enjoy this one for a few more years??

Interesting reading... thanks
Old 31 January 2003, 02:39 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to agree, as I'm in just the same boat as you. Car paid off soon, do I change, don't I change?

I want to try a new WRX now, just to see what it's like and whether I could live with it. To be honest, I already see me adding the PPP straight away to it in order to keep performance near to the level I'm at now.

The STI changed my expectations. If you want to drive it hard and raw, it'll be hard and raw but it is just so massively more rewarding to drive than the MY00 because it is telling you so much more and, crucially, putting you slap bang in the centre of controlling it. I wasn't expecting this at all, and was genuinely gobsmacked at how much more involving it is than an my00 which in comparison feels detached and uninvolving, and that really is saying something isn't it? I went into the STI expecting much more power and, frankly, more rawness. It's got much more power and is brutal, but it's also "delicate" if you see what I'm trying to say.
Old 31 January 2003, 03:01 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wouldn't say too much more if I were you Nick, or you might wake up with a horse's head in your bed. These 'classic' owners can be an ugly bunch. I should know, this time last week I was one of them

Josh

PS You really ought to forward this thread to IM. You might be able to negotiate a discout in lieu of commision
Old 31 January 2003, 03:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Josh, is it that biased then?

Excellent . I'm trying to make up for the amount of business that has been lost due to the importingimprezas mail list . Perhaps they'll consider selling me one.

Back to seriousness, if classic owners are holding off (and I know I was) I honestly think that this could be the replacement that not only gives you what you had, but also gives you what you're missing. It significantly ups the ante.

Bloody hell, I'm evangelising again! I think I'll shut up.
Old 31 January 2003, 03:44 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Nahh, just convincing himself that he NEEDS, preferrably a STi8 JDM
Old 31 January 2003, 06:16 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

you GOTTA have an old shape one cos of the RAWNESS.

I see what you're saying about the delicacy of the new STi, but if that's anything like how it was translated into the bugeye WRX then it's NOT for me.

I won't test drive one, just incase I fall in love with it as you did. I can feel your pain from here.
And yes you would need PPP straight away, how can you take a DROP in performance. The biggest no-no of all!
Old 01 February 2003, 01:35 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Darkblue,

You keep mentioning the WRX and trust me, the STi is significantly better than that!!! I don't think I would want to get from an old shape to an 01/02/03 WRX but to an STi, certainly!!! (well, I did).

Nick is right, the STi is both more refined and more brutal than the old car. It's better put together, more comfotable, feels more solid so is more refined but when you go for it, it's more brutal, more adjustable and communicates better. I think you get the best of both worlds with it I think the only old shape car I'd consider now over the STi is the RA V-Ltd......

Matt