MY03 WRX and STi test drives at Stan Palmers

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2003, 08:06 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

MY03 WRX and STi Test drives

The job of a Subaru salesman was the easiest job in the world. People walked into the showroom, paid a deposit and came back 6 months later for their new turbo 2000. Then came the time when Hearsay ruled the charts and Bug eyes ruled the world. The salesman’s job was now very difficult. He had to give discounts and fair trade in prices. He even had to be nice!

But all was not lost. His job is now easy again, all because the Impreza headlight designer threw away his curves and got out his set square.

Looks

There can be no doubt that this hastily introduced facelift is better looking than it’s predecessor. I say that and I own a MY01. The design has taken a step back in time, borrowing from the original lighting layout of the ‘Classic’. The STi in particular looks more aggressive but both models look more mainstream than the bugeye.

The WRX’s wheels in their gunmetal finish look like mine do after a track day and the gap between the tyre and wheel arch is still no large, but that is the fault of legislation not design. The big talking points on both cars are the scoops. In my opinion they are wonderfully over the top, the STi version balancing the spoiler well. The STi also includes a splitter that should help maintain safe performance in the two weeks where us Cumbrians get warmer weather.

The interiors are largely unchanged and if you didn’t like the MY01 interior, you won’t like the MY03. They are still behind the opposition but way ahead of the MY00.

Performance

This was difficult to gauge as both cars had only managed less than 400 miles between them. We also had enough mechanical sympathy not to exceed the 4000rpm limit (5000rpm for the STi). Phil drove the STi but from the passenger seat I could feel the car wanting to take off. The rev limiter’s beep was approached in each gear far too quickly. The WRX which I drove felt quick and the publicity promises more power than the MY01 (225 vs. 216 bhp) but a fully loosened car would need to be driven back to back with mine to sense any difference.

Handling and Ride

The main point here is the weightier steering in the STi. I couldn’t tell any differences between the WRX and my car. Phil also commented on the strange way the diffs felt in the STi compared to his MY00. A good track day will be needed to get a feel on both these cars (are you reading Ian ?)

The ride on both was very comfortable and compliant but I’m used to an Eibached WRX and I much prefer the stiffer handling and lower ride height of mine. I do miss a comfortable ride on the motorway though.

Market and Finance

I doubt whether the heady days of minimal depreciation will return to the Impreza and Subaru UK will have to be keen with it’s service and pricing to compete with the closing pack of the Focus RS, CTR etc. The lowering of prices will help and have made the choice of going UK or parallel harder. It’s a no brainer for the STi as the price difference is minimal and the choice on the WRX will depend on the individual’s circumstances.

Conclusion

If you own a bugeye, unless you must have the new look, I would not say the change is worth it. You are better waiting a year or two until the trade in prices settle down from the discounting used to sell off the last of the old shape (seems strange calling a MY01 that!).

If you want an STi though go for it! They look and sound the business. I can’t wait to drive another once Palmer’s demo has loosened up. Once they have the PPP, they will be more than a match for anything else on the road.

The new looks will probably entice a few ‘classic’ buyers back to the fold who were put off by the bugeye looks. They certainly did for Phil!

More pictures and other Scooby stuff can be found at Philgr's web page

Thanks to Ian from Stan Palmers in Carlisle for the drives.

[Edited by Steve Sherwen - 1/28/2003 8:17:15 PM]
Old 28 January 2003, 08:23 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Well written article Steve.

Me..........I'm sticking with my MY01 UK300.

Bogie
Old 28 January 2003, 10:18 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thats a very well written write up steve.

Phil G
Old 28 January 2003, 10:27 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve, you're wasted in the chemical industry. You need to get a proper job, like writing for a car magazine!
Old 28 January 2003, 10:28 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Nice write up Steve. But I still think that the STI scoop is way over the top

Looks like it will fit on a classic though....Mmmmm idea forming

DaveW.
Old 28 January 2003, 10:35 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

mark he was prob on chemical industry time when he wrote it
Old 28 January 2003, 11:25 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

not bad....covered some of the questions we ask ourselves when we look at what subaru now offers us..but the hardest thing to put down in words is " emotion "...im like a wee kid again..thrown back to days far gone when i get in..listen to my 99 uk..i still smile when i turn the key..i hold my step in the drive from time to time to look at it..i think of days spend fixing old rs2000's mexico;s with my dad( it was a ford, they do like to break down )..for i always...always wanted..needed a subaru...the same way my dads cars used to be the fastest and best things on the road..this was the strength of my emotions for subarus..i would follow them..talk to complete strangers that had one..read about them...but..have these days gone!!! my car stirs my emotions and reminds me why i bought it..it makes me smile..scared..poor..but subaru with the way off designs..the u.s 2.5..decision...may..just have locked me to my 99 classic and tainted my view of future versions..but..i also know..ther may be a kid or two out ther..who will see the sti8 and feel the same passion and desire i had for the classic..so have subaru got a winner????...they have a competitor..as do ford/mitsi/audi/bmw...hay days are gone..let the battle for emotions begin..
Old 29 January 2003, 04:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

BTTT

Old 30 January 2003, 02:09 PM
X2WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the great write up Steve.

STi now has PPP and is fully run in.
This car can only be described as awesome, it has to be driven to be believed. It is quicker than any Impreza I have been in, P1, 22B, STi RA included. Ok I know ther are some heavily modded cars out there that will be quicker, but for a 2k tweek by Prodrive this is simply the fastest, best handling car there is.

Can you tell I'm pleased.

Ian
Old 30 January 2003, 03:47 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

Glad you like it Ian

Cheers

Simon
Old 30 January 2003, 06:07 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Just Spoken to Ian (X2WRX) and Guess Whats Just Arrived for Me !!!!!

Roll on 1st March

Phil G
Old 30 January 2003, 09:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just spotted your comment! No the piece was not written on work time, I'm far too busy surfing the net for that

Steve

PS BTTT I spent too much time on the post to allow it to dissapear from the front page yet!
Old 31 January 2003, 01:17 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

you must have been in a slow RA then Ian.

Care to do a side by side comparison? I am up for it and mine is a standard engined 280BHP STi RA.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 1/31/2003 1:21:36 AM]
Old 31 January 2003, 01:19 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

nice write up steve!
Old 31 January 2003, 02:10 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

BTTT for a reply from Ian.

Come on mate, lets do a side by side test somewhere. If the PPP STi is a faster car than an STi RA then i for one will be chuffed to bits because it gives me an option to upgrade in the future.

We can do a Driven style test with through the cones, braking distances, acclerating through the gears, overtaking in the danger zone times, short sprint track course etc. I havent seen anyone do this yet, so this is an oportunity to back up your statement with facts without us resorting to driving skill issues. I'll even let you drive mine if i can drive the PPP so we have figures from us both behind the wheel.

Apart from it being fun it would show how great the PPP is (hopefully) as most people recognise the STi5/6 RA as the quickest clasic shape standard spec scoob there was, and mine is pretty standard.
Old 31 January 2003, 02:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

P.S I'll even rig the cars up with video cameras so the timings can be analised properly after the driving is over. All we need is an airfield and some cones, i am sure you could find one we could use for a few hours? maybe we could use bruntingthorpe if you dont have a local venue?
Old 31 January 2003, 02:28 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,

Excellent idea! Can I look forward to an informed write up afterwards?

Damian.
Old 31 January 2003, 02:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it happens i will write a proper review that is 100% fact based. If the STI PPP is faster then i will say so. Doesnt bother me either way on a personal level if my car is faster or slower as i know i dont have the fastest scoob out there already, i really hope the STi PPP is faster (or very close to an STi RA) but i am very sceptical about that fact. Hence my challenge to find facts rather than make statements that have nothing concrete to back them up. yet.......
Old 31 January 2003, 02:56 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

John,
im due to get my car on 1st march, from Ian, and it will have the PPP on. give me a couple of weeks to run it in and get a couple of miles on it and you can use mine,
i never did manage to blag a ride out with you when we were at bedford,
i can arrange for a P1 and poss a tommi mak Evo (blowdogs old car) to attend as well for a 4 car shoot out,

You will have to do the driving cos i cannot drive for toffee.

Phil G
http://www.wcsr.co.uk

[Edited by philgr - 1/31/2003 2:58:46 PM]
Old 31 January 2003, 03:24 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Now this I'd like to see.

I'm no great driver, but I appreciated the feedback from the STI PPP. I daresay John could translate that back into a better time - I just enjoyed it

Whether there'd be enough time for you to get familiar with the STI PPP in order to wring the best time out of it is probably open for debate, as I found it a completely different handing beast to my MY00. There again, your car is already different diff-wise, so perhaps it isn't so far away, drive wise?

Still, either way, I'd love to see this happen and I'd be very interested in your thoughts of the new car.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 31 January 2003, 03:41 PM
gazk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep, nicely written Steve

OK Phil, the P1 is ready for comparison runs ASAP! Am off to Elvington this weekend to warm up,! Bruntingthorpe no problem for me, i've done it three time and know it well!

Bring it on
Old 31 January 2003, 05:35 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have just had an offer to do a back to back with an STi TypeUK PPP driver who can actually drive, Arron Bird (ex BTRDA rally champion) so we should be able to get this up and running.

Like i said, i dont want this to be a driver test, it's to find out what the cars can do compared to each other. So it's going to be allong the lines of a proper comparison test, not fastest track time.

Having a P1 there would be very interesting too!

Now to find a venue, bruntingthorpe would be ideal. Anyone know how to book a bit of time there without wanting to be part of a track day? Simon?
Old 31 January 2003, 05:37 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

oops, sorry nick, are you offering to bring your PPP along also?
Old 31 January 2003, 05:38 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

John you need to get out more!!!!!
I am up for it and be prepared for a jolly good **** fisting
Old 31 January 2003, 05:46 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

hahahaha

I get out plenty mate.

This could be pretty good stuff, i'll have a proper think about some tests we can setup that give real world meaning and are easy to reproduce.
Old 31 January 2003, 05:53 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

All we need now is an STi8 PPP, Ian!
Old 31 January 2003, 06:18 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Thought i offered mine ;( (STi8 PPP)

I'am with ian tomorrow, ill talk to him regarding it.

John drop me a email off the board

The P1 is a deff, i have just spoken the owner and its fine with him name the place

Phil G

[Edited by philgr - 1/31/2003 6:22:10 PM]
Old 01 February 2003, 08:38 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

i can sort a venue it will cost £500 forthe day 3/4 mile striaght small airfiled at silverstone
Old 01 February 2003, 09:04 AM
X2WRX
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay, I've been house hunting.

Give me a ring John and we will sort something out.
Any chance to play on a track or airfield sounds good to me.

Ian
07831 684088
Old 01 February 2003, 09:55 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I have just had an offer to do a back to back with an STi TypeUK PPP driver who can actually drive, Arron Bird (ex BTRDA rally champion) so we should be able to get this up and running
All we need is a driver for your RA now