Sponsored by:

World Record Charity Donations

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2003, 04:12 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

For those that don't know. in 2001 we set the world record for driving sideways at 2 hours 11 minutes and 18 seconds.

A large number of generous people pledged money for charity on the condition that we set the record.

It was agreed before hand that a vote would take place to decide on the charities / charity that the money would go to after the event.

Following the event we asked for input on the charities, but there was very little forthcoming so we decided that there would be a few charities that would receive the money (thanks to Neil's efforts).

We then went about looking at methods to collect the money pledged.

We have (since then) been down every route imaginable to try to find a satisfactory way to collect the money and have come under enormous criticism from uninformed members over why it has not yet been collected.

So... we turn to the community for suggestions as to ways to collect the money and deliver it to the charity.

PLEASE read the following requirements VERY carefully before suggesting a solution. If you don't know whether something conforms to the following or not, that is fine, post away, but please don't post something that clearly does not conform to the following points..

The method MUST :
-Ensure that we can include the government Tax Aid benefits
-Be completely secure so as not to leave anyone able to abuse the funds whilst they are being collected
-Allow for a cut off point at which the money NOT collected so far is ignored and the collected money is sent to the charities
-Allow for a fair way to distribute the money based on the votes of the pledgers
-Respect the wishes of the pledgers

The method MUST NOT :
-Be open in ANY WAY to suggestions that money is being kept for any reason other than delivery to the charity
-Create ANY unwanted tax position for individuals or companies
-Create ANY unwanted legal issues for individuals or companies
-Be based on trusting single individuals
-Mean that funds are delivered to any company or personal bank account without strict controls that this can be seen and authorised by a number of people granted responsibility

If there are other points that I have forgotten please let me know... and if I think of others I will post another message in this thread

We are truly stumped so will be thrilled to hear of your suggestions.

Best regards

Webmaster
Old 26 January 2003, 06:16 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btt
Old 26 January 2003, 06:23 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Cool

No replies ! ??

Ok I will. Simon please don't take this as a criticism, it is not intended as one.

You will never be able to fulfill all of those conditions....
Also, before the event, pledgers did not know it was going to take 4 months with a complicated voting process to even decide where to donate the money.
They certainly did not imagine it would be at the 18 month stage and still no money collected.
So a couple things have changed since the pledges were made.

Like I said, this is not criticising your efforts with the banks etc., but maybe you should explore other avenues.

As you are probably aware some of us have already done this through a GiftAid donation to Comic Relief and Marie Curie Cancer Care. With this you are emailed a WorldPay receipt like this.....

Thank you, you've paid

Dear Customer,

Your payment...
at 11 Jan 2003 14:11:14 GMT
you made a payment for GBP 50.00
to Comic Relief for Generous Donation to Comic Relief: GiftAid.
Reference:GiftAid

This is not a tax receipt.

Your order...
This receipt is sent to you by WorldPay - your donation has been processed by our secure Payment Gateway. In addition to this receipt you may also receive a purchase receipt from the store / merchant from whom you made the purchase. To enquire about your purchase, please contact that store / merchant at: M.Gill@comicrelief.org.uk. If you didn't make this donation or dispute the transaction please e-mail M.Gill@comicrelief.org.uk immediately and return a copy of this digital receipt.
Mail the store

About WorldPay
Learn about our world leading payment security here.
Trusted by customers in 110 countries, we care about your privacy.

Contact our global Customer Service Team at shopper@worldpay.com for any help you need regarding your payment, quoting transaction ID 31353287.

Win $250.00 this month! Just visit http://www.worldpay.com/survey NOW and answer a few simple questions.

NB: This confirmation email is not an acceptance of your order and you cannot assume that a contract exists between yourself and Comic Relief for the sale of goods or services until Comic Relief specifically confirms it. It is Comic Relief's responsibility to confirm acceptance of your order and for delivery.

Thank you so much.>.

Could you not ask pledgers to forward copies of their receipts for checking against your list of pledges and then just chase up the late payers, with the ultimate threat of a "name and shame" thread ?

DJ

(A suggestion, not an argument)
Old 26 January 2003, 06:50 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

As I type....

78 reads
1 reply

I see one of your problems now Simon
Old 26 January 2003, 07:14 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

DocJock

I agree that it has taken longer to a) get a decision as to who to send money to and b) to collect the money. But that is exactly what this thread is about mate.

It's taken all that time because of the things detailed above and because we simply didn't appreciate how difficult it was going to be to do what we promised.

Your suggestion is an easy one, but does not do what we promised. We could have done something like that the day after the record, but we tried to do what we said we would do. Our biggest failing was the suggestion as to how it would be done as we now realise this is just not possible (unless someone has some bright ideas).

Regards

Simon
Old 26 January 2003, 07:31 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Not arguing Simon, just keeping this TTT

I misunderstood, I thought you said you had explored all avenues for doing it the way you wanted and drawn a blank.
Mine was just an alternative idea. (which a few of us have implemented if you want names and amounts)
Old 26 January 2003, 08:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Apologies for asking the obvious but have you spoken to people or groups that have been in a similar situation i.e. a large group of individuals pledging a decent wedge where it has to be done tax efficiently and transparently? Or indeed the charities themselves who must face this sort of challenge on a daily basis. Whilst everyone here can only read and try and understand the problems, it really sounds like the wheel is being re-invented. I am trying to be constructive btw. DL
Old 26 January 2003, 08:09 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
David,
From my belief it's not a problem in essence to set-up a bank account for charity reasons...... but unless we pay for that, the banks will not allow us to do it (as we are using them as a holding pot for a very very short period of time).

It's points like these that highlight the difficulties we have had.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 January 2003, 10:11 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
BTT
Old 26 January 2003, 10:24 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

"We have (since then) been down every route imaginable to try to find a satisfactory way to collect the money and have come under enormous criticism from uninformed members over why it has not yet been collected.

Sorry,but when i pledged i left an email address and i emailed twice after the event asking what was happening.I received one reply that told me that some info would be out soon.That was over a year ago.So maybe we are ill informed because no one has been bothered to send an email out informing us.I take offence to that statement,as you can gather.

Plus,why are you asking me "ensure it pases government tax aid benefits"?.How the hell should I know??!!

I pledged the money without a list of "rules",this is something you can sort out yourselves,without passing the buck back to a load of petrolheads in the vain hope we have any clue what a tax aid benefit is.Just a pick a charity that is supported by a website and let us pay our money,i can't see why this is any more complicated than that.

I pledged the money in good faith,and i got fed up with waiting,so i cleared my conscence and paid to Comic relief.

I was,and still am,ill-informed because no one has kept me informed.End of.

Old 26 January 2003, 10:38 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Angry

SDB
Sorry bout this but FFS
I have been reading all the threads regarding this situation and imho this should have been sorted out ages ago However for what ever reasons politics Black tape too many commitments on whosever behalf.

If you did a vote and have X charities to give this money too why not get there details form them post these on the board for people to go to the bank THEMSELVES pay it in then scan in there stub and post it on scooby net or send it to you

Alternativly(sp) What is wrong with DJ's suggestion it works you get proof Job done

What MORE Do you want

This has now been going on for 2 years now and if you want my honest opinion it is not doing your reputation any good
I have posted this cause you dont respond to e-mails

seems to me lots of things get suggeted but nothing seems to come to light

EG the CD The database etc etc

I know you are a busy person but come on these things need sorting out

Sorry no offence meant
Old 26 January 2003, 11:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

SDB,
We trusted you to do the event in the name of charity, and therefore I suggest we let you decide were it is to go to not apportion Blame, just saying someone has to take it by the horns

2 peeps can have a fight, and one winner 50000 is a war so will never resolved As the saying goes 'You can please some...................'

Not being critical

YOU TELL me were to send the cheque and it's gone

Tony
Old 26 January 2003, 11:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

Hello Simon

|The best way out is for it to be taken out of "Scoobynets" control.
Let everyone make their own decision and start to help the charities of our choice.

What do we all want from this??? "A big Look at us we are great"

Jesus most scooby drivers drive with that look on their faces every day.....

Its a learning curve. You did every one proud. Lets be proud and admit defeat in this matter. Just ask everyone to donate as they wish. Info about any tax benefit could be posted by someone to help everyone.

The going around in circles should finish...

Luke
Old 27 January 2003, 01:51 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Angry

Situations change, people who could afford to pledge £50 18 months ago may well be in a very different position now. Can you not pick a charity and have people send donations direct to it with a reference to scoobynet? (without obligations to any previous pledges) Give it 6 months and ask the charity how much has come from scoobynet, post it up on the BBS, and feel a warm glow of satisfaction. Thus getting round any tax implications etc.
Old 27 January 2003, 08:17 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Shaun, OK but that is why I asked what other people had done in similar circumstances as they must have had similar challenges which they got around. Hard to think that there isn't a bank with a modicum of heart? What about a PO account? DL
Old 27 January 2003, 08:35 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

OK Everybody. Some of the comments above are EXACTLY what I spoke about in my fist post "illinformed criticism".

(some others are just trying to be constructive, so please do not take offense)

PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY

1) It has taken so long because WE WANTED TO DO IT EXACTLY AS THE PEOPLE WHO PLEDGED AGREED IT WOULD BE DONE (ie: vote for charities, one lump sum / small lump sums spread over).

2) It is not for YOU to decide what charities the money you pledged to the world record goes to... it is up to the COMMUNITY THAT PLEDGED. That was the reason for the vote.

-----------------------

It annoys me after all the time shaun, neil, myself and a few other mods have spent trying to do this properly (and failing admitedly) that some of you have just attacked us as not bothering to do anything about it / being too stupid to realise how simple it is (then the suggestion comes which DOESN'T do what we were trying to do).

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE

If NOBODY can come up with a suggestion which satisfies the above criteria (WHICH IS WHAT WAS AGREED BY PEOPLE WHO PLEDGED) in this thread a) DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD and b) I WILL DECIDE ON AN ALTERNATIVE METHOD

webmaster

PS We don't need suggestions as to alternative ways of collecting the money as there are a million ways that are blatantly obvious and incredibly easy.

PPS DocJock, sorry mate, when I typed my reply to you, I wasn't thinking you were being argumentative.
Old 27 January 2003, 08:37 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

In addition :

Re : Why not just contact all the people who have done this already without any problems at all. PLEASE tell me who these people are as I would LOVE to have a chat with them.
Old 27 January 2003, 10:19 AM
Luke
BANNED

Simon

Any chance this post could be locked at the top?? . Its one of the most important posts on scoobynet.
Old 27 January 2003, 10:33 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Simon,

It seems to me the biggest issue is that of Tax Aid Benefits.

Why not simply open a bank account such as "Scoobynet in trust for xxxxxxx" into which the funds can be paid?

Make sure you have at least one independent signatory (suggets a Solicitor) and set it up so all signatories are required for security.

we could all then donate directly into the account.

OK, so you don't get the benefit of Tax Aid - but if the money is being given to registered charities its no different to, say, when individuals do sponsored events for charities.

From the donator's perspective, its a charitable donation, the same as any other charity sponsorship.

D

Old 27 January 2003, 10:45 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SDB

sorry m8 your having such problems

(bet it was easier to keep the car sidways for over 2 hours )

only thing i can think of is:-

this involves 2 votes again

1st vote - is it ok with everyone that the money goes to 1 charity? just a simple Yes/No reply needed.

2nd vote - which charity? the one that gets the most votes (only one vote per member)

once this is decided (democraticly sp?) approach the charity concerned, im sure they can set something up??

flame suit on !
Old 27 January 2003, 10:51 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Question

This maybe a daft question, has anyone spoke to a charity and asked their advice with the situtation and the best way to resolve it ?
Old 27 January 2003, 11:02 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The wish to maximise tax etc and get the commuity to vote on every breath is commendable ..but.. after 18 months its time to get somthing sorted and drop some of the requirements.

Pick 2 charities (I'm sure we've already voted on that anyway!) and get people to donat direct with some clear instructions about GiftAid etc so people can do it that if they wish.

Deano
Old 27 January 2003, 11:19 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I have emailed the charities commision asking for there advice

I'm sure this may have already been suggested or even done but lets see if they have any briiliant ideas

BTW I have voluntered before but I am still willing to help in any respect of this
Old 27 January 2003, 12:04 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Simon,

As one not involved at the time I'm a) Ignorant of what was said/voted on but b) Carry no baggage therefrom.

I advocate a pragmatic solution: clearly, time and effort has not yielded a solution in accord with the original intentions, so let's do the best we can.

Which is: Nominate a small number of Charities from the feedback you've had (I dunnow - say - up to 5)

Obtain their paying in details

E-Mail pledgers with an apologetic reminder and invite them to donate direct to the Charity of their choice from the 5 quoting "Scoobynet". Duplicate it with a top-locked post.

Invite the 5 Charities to notify you after (say) 6 Months of the number and total value of "Scoobynet" attributions. I believe they should be well practised at doing this as part of their handling of "in memoriam" requests. For any ongoing pledges, they will be able to advise the donor direct about Gift Aid

Tell us the outcome.

Maybe Scoobynet won't get quite the associated kudos, but the Charities will get their money and, IMHO, the sooner you're under way, the more they'll get.

"The perfect is the enemy of the very good"

Phil
Old 27 January 2003, 01:01 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

For the newbies who wonder what we are on about :

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=12786
Old 27 January 2003, 06:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

ttt
Old 01 February 2003, 12:59 AM
Luke
BANNED

Top as it should be
Old 01 February 2003, 01:03 AM
Luke
BANNED

about 20 replies............................ Sums it up

No answer to why it cant be locked at the top????after all you want help...............
Old 01 February 2003, 09:42 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Morning.........Come on people lets boogie ,lives to be saved etc
Old 01 February 2003, 01:43 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

have u tried to contact the TAX people?
see if they have a solution?