Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to extend or to not?(warrenty)

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 11:17 AM
ANDYMCC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do i extend my subaru warrenty or not at the cost of £350,i have a RB5?
Old 22 January 2003, 11:30 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes.

For piece of mind and for when something major gives up on the car. Also for the next owner. If you pass, then next person won't have an option (unless they go 3rd-party). That might put them off come sale time.

Stefan
Old 22 January 2003, 11:34 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Read this then decide.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=169618

Stuart

Old 22 January 2003, 01:16 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I just decided NOT to extend it. I figured that for every person who posts on Scoobynet to say that something major has gone wrong, there will be hundreds whose cars are working just fine. When was the last time you saw a post that said "my gearbox didn't break today, so I'm not really p*ssed off about it"?

Any extended warranty is just an insurance policy after all, so on average the warranty company must take in more money than they pay out. I figured that, given that I COULD potentially pay for a major repair, I'm better off keeping the cash. Subaru UK have had more than enough of my money anyway.

Further thought: having the warranty means having to use franchised dealers for servicing, which pushes the cost up even further given that there's no other good reason not to use independents like Scoobysport or Power Engineering.

A.
Old 22 January 2003, 01:31 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Good luck

My extended warranty has saved me about £1k so far this year.....
Old 22 January 2003, 01:36 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good luck AndyC

I've had to insure my car for 17 years and have never had an accident, so it's a bit of a waste of money (ok...so apart from the legal requirement bit)

But believe you me ..... if I could go back in time and decide again if I'd extend the warranty for that p1ssy little amount of cash [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]....... wonder what I'd do

Old 22 January 2003, 01:40 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

AndyC

Apologies as I see your point:

given that I COULD potentially pay for a major repair, I'm better off keeping the cash
I too thought just that and kept a few thousand in the bank for the rainy day just in case that major repair came along

Belive you me, it p1ssed down all year and then along came 'major repair' and a few of his mates
Old 22 January 2003, 02:42 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

SiPie: you have my sympathy, really

My decision is based on the fact that your case does seem particularly unusual, given the number of regulars on Scoobynet and the fact that most of the moaning is about other things. Time will tell whether or not I've made the right decision - I just really couldn't face the prospect of paying out even more money on top of the bill for a cambelt service and anti-corrosion treatment.

If the tech bubble hadn't burst, then maybe I'd be thinking differently - but then again, I'd have my name down for a Jap-spec STI type RA spec C 17", so I wouldn't care...

A.
Old 22 January 2003, 03:10 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Question

Some of you have extended your warranty, some haven't. Is your decision based on the amount of miles you cover?
I cover a nominal mileage and mine is coming up for renewel, still in two minds.
Old 22 January 2003, 05:16 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Andy..

Admittedly I ain't been the luckiest m8

I just wouldn't want the same luck to befall any other scoobynetters.

If I red-lined it in every gear and put crappy oil in it, I could see it happening but 'spirited' driving with FSSH sort of sums it up

Good luck with yours and hope it stays trouble free for you

Old 23 January 2003, 08:40 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Question

anyone got any thoughts on my previous question????????????
Old 23 January 2003, 09:04 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I guess the mileage is always going to be a factor; if I covered intergalactic mileage AND the warranty would cover things simply wearing out, then I'd have been more inclined to extend it. However, I doubt that normal wear & tear would actually be covered, and motorway miles don't really stress the car anyway.

I do about 15000 miles/year - pretty average - so the mileage wasn't really a factor that I considered. I just figured that since my car is well looked-after and doesn't get thrashed (often!), that it probably wouldn't develop any serious faults for the next couple of years.

I also figured that if anything was faulty and was going to fail prematurely, that it probably would have done by now. In manufacturing, a graph of failure rate vs. time is often described as a 'bathtub curve' - it looks like a cross section taken lengthways through a bath. The failure rate is high early on, as faulty parts pack up prematurely. It then settles down to a very low level over the normal life of the product, then gradually increases again as parts reach the end of their design lifetime and simply wear out.

If you think your car has reached the bottom of the bath, you're probably OK

A.
Old 23 January 2003, 09:09 AM
sooby
Scooby Regular

ANDYMCC,

Do you have breakdown cover? If you do, then I understand that Subaru Assistance comes with the extended warranty for 2 years. That brings the price down by not needing to subscribe to the RAC or whoever and may sway your decision.
Old 23 January 2003, 09:12 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy,
I think the car being nearly 3 years old it will have reached the bottom of the bath tub. Like I said the mileage is nominal
Cheers Nige
Old 04 February 2003, 08:11 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I was sent a letter from Subaru, my warranty renewel was something like £400approx for 1 year and £600 plus for two years.
As the car has done less than 7,000 miles I haven't bothered.
Saying that something is now bound to go wrong

[Edited by Rasher - 4/2/2003 8:12:24 AM]
Old 27 March 2003, 12:26 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Cool

I extended mine after Sideways, who sold me the car convinced me it was in my best interests. Extended with Subaru for an additional two years, and comes with a two year breakdown cover.

Within a few days of renewing, following a 3 year service (cam belt change) the car started running lumpy. Took it back to the dealers and the cam belt tensioner was shagged, and the timing belts had moved This was replaced along with a new cam belt all FOC. This alone cost me more than I paid for the warrenty.

Since had a door panel and electric windows switch replaced.

Yesterday the car broke down!!!! I thought they never did this. I guessed it was either the battery or altenator, as I lost all electrical power. Phoned Subaru assist, and they said they'd send a tow truck within the hour. 5 mins later the chap was knocking the door. Tried to start the car and it started this time, but check engine light came on Measured the voltage on the battery while charging and it was 13.4 volts He suggested taking the car to the dealers on the tow truck rather than break down again. Bloody lovely

I phoned the local dealer (Tileys of Bristol) and explained I was on my way in!! I arrived at Tileys and they started working on it immediately, even before I walked into reception. Within ten minutes the alternator was diagnosed as faulty. Replacement cost was £455 plus vat, plus fitting They didn't have one in stock, so I had to leave the car overnight. I asked them to look at the drivers door pin switch as it wasn't reliable. This was replaced. All this was done within an hour of phoning Subaru assist!! They lent me a rather nice Forester Turbo overnight and I'm off to pick the car up in a bit.

I think the Subaru warrenty is well worth the money IMHO, and will extend it again I wouldn't bother with a warrenty company though. It has got to be a Subaru one

You can renew the warrenty by phoning Tileys (0117 9231231) and speaking to Kelly. Cost is dependant on the mileage but is worth every single penny IMO

Hope this helps, Phill

PS I don't think mileage matters, as at three years the altenator and battery will be just about ready to pack up!! Mine has covered 36k.

[Edited by babber - 3/27/2003 12:29:14 PM]
Old 27 March 2003, 01:01 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Andy

Im in the same boat as you with the same car.
I will re-new in the next couple of months.
Does the warranty price vary from dealer to dealer or it is a blanket price?

Cheers

jas
Old 27 March 2003, 01:04 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

I'm suspecting that they vary. I just called Tileys and was quoted £404 for up to 60,000 miles saying that "we can do a good deal with the limited mileage option" implying a certain amount of variation between dealers.
Old 27 March 2003, 01:05 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

cheers sooby.
I only do about 10K per year so will make some calls.

jas
Old 27 March 2003, 01:08 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Let us know if and where you get a good deal :-)
Old 27 March 2003, 01:09 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Cool

will do
Old 27 March 2003, 04:21 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was in the same boat last year. The way I saw it was for less then a quid a day it's peace of mind. Also, as mentioned, it does come with RAC cover which in the event of things going really bad you won't be stranded.

Just my simple thoughts,

Ed

Edited to say it won't help you round CORNERS!!

[Edited by thecirsch - 3/27/2003 4:22:36 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 03:46 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

I think of my warranty as a device to stop any 'sudden' expenditures. Knowing my luck I'd need to spend major money at the same time as insurance renewal/house purchase/wedding etc. and as I feed all excess savings into my mortgage I don't have £3k kicking around. Think about the guys posting on here about being on their 3rd engine!! There's some kind of intermittent fault with the ECU/fuelling that isn't immediately obvious, but it's cost 2 engines so far!!
Old 01 April 2003, 06:41 PM
ANDYMCC
Scooby Regular

right guys i did extend my warrenty,took it for 60000 miles service but i have only 56k and the report said slight oil leek may be main seal on engine so i shall get it done under the warrenty so already saving money.
Old 01 April 2003, 08:10 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just extended mine, £244 with Subaru. If I'd have left it a day over the 3rd birthday then it'll cost me £400 for a year through an Approved warranty. Don't do it late guys....

F
Old 02 April 2003, 06:12 AM
sooby
Scooby Regular

244? Is that for a single year and limited milage? Typical quotes I've seen for the extra two years unlimited milage are between 500 and 600 and it can only be extended if you've done less than 60000 and the car is younger than three uears.
Old 02 April 2003, 06:46 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes, £244 for 1 year, £404 for 2yrs upto 60k miles.

My car has only done 23k so this is a good option for me.

F
Old 02 April 2003, 06:52 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi Floyd

Can you tell me what number you called to re-new your warranty.
Thanks

jas
Old 02 April 2003, 07:21 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I've been quoted the same price as Floyd from my local dealer.
Old 02 April 2003, 11:19 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I just went to my local dealer and bought it there.

F