Sponsored by:

New Euro Imports - Help

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 06:30 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've had nearly 3 excellent years with my 2000 turbo Wagon, but it's time for a change!
I'm now looking at the possibility of purchasing the new facelift model either WRX or Sti through the import channels, as my last was via Subaru UK.
Conatct has been made with a few companies, So I'm hoping some of you can let me know your experiences, whom you used, how good the service was, espcially if you did all this without the aid of an agent/broker.

Sorry to offend if this is the wrong place to ask this stuff

Cheers
Old 17 January 2003, 07:47 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used Gibson's of Brock for my MY01. The whole process was painless and to press I have had no warrenty issues to woory about. I intend on keeping the car for a number of years so by the time I sell, there should be little difference in the trade in value between my car and a UK car of the same age.

Regards

Steve
Old 17 January 2003, 08:09 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

If you want to import direct I'd definitely recommend Gertjan - http://www.subaruvdvelde.nl/ Speaks very good English.

Litchfield imports also do 'em at a good price and have a good reputation www.litimports.co.uk
Old 17 January 2003, 09:20 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

...and Keyring Cars

Apple
Old 17 January 2003, 09:26 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

try one of the essex dealers as with the euro at 1.42 it means a difference of only £900 - £1200 plus quicker delivery or wait till the euro rises

dont forget about servicing 10k uk import 7.5k

any problems at least you can call in and see them
Old 17 January 2003, 11:16 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Not sure where you're getting your exchange rate from? A travel agent? Just checked and price is about 1.52 - remember if you're buying £12000 worth you get a better rate than changing 50 quid!

http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/table.html

[Edited by Ian E - 1/17/2003 11:18:14 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 02:02 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses, I think my main concern was the forwarding of funds to the European dealer.

I had been in touch with Lithcfields and Keyring prior to this post, they both appear to offer very professional services.

I went down to my local dealer Saturday and test drove the 03 WRX and Sti, they also have an 02 PPP'd Sti, which is awesome! I have to say the WRX has improved a lot and looks good, I wasn' too sure about the Sti (bonnet scoop) espcially as they had a Prodrive 02 Sti in stock, those smoked bugeyes are starting to appeal to me!

Anyway, I need to make a decision soon, but with the arrival of the Evo VIII (rumoured to be approx £22k) in the UK by April, I reckon this will make for a good bargaining process down at the dealers!

Enough rambling,

Cheers.
Old 20 January 2003, 02:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you want to check the direct route, as Ian E mentioned above, try Gertjan van der Velde. Truly an excellent guy who runs a Subaru dealership in a small town called Zuid Beijerland near Rotterdam. +31 186 661556
Nick.
Old 20 January 2003, 03:56 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

I assume that you guys (Chiark & Ian E) used Gertjan?

Does he have email or a Dealer Website.

What did you do in terms of forwarding your Deposit and balance, i.e escrow/third party bank account, exchange rates? As I said this is really the bit I need reassuarnce on, as you can understand parting with £17-22k is always a small concern! :-)

Cheers
Old 20 January 2003, 04:13 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

sending the money you have a couple of options.

you normally have to pay a deposit 3000-5000 euro's. then a week or so before delivery you pay the rest.

you can use a currency broker (lots around) www.currenciesdirect.com is the one I used for my deposit. they do not have fantastic rates but are very quick (needed to get mine in for a deadline).

for example the exchange rate at the time was 1.58 they sold to me at 1.54 and a £12 charge for wiring the money.

Someone posted on here about opening a euro account with citibank in the country you are buying from. you can then transfer pounds to that account and they a converted to euros at the market rate. they still have a charge for wiring money. I do not know if this is right but will be investigating shortly. as it will save hundreds of pounds.

the important thing to remember is you are paying the dealer directly, so are fairly well protected in comparison to the importer.

if you use an importer they have a fee, and im pressuming they get a kick back from the dealer as well.
Old 20 January 2003, 04:30 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry, forgot to say that - yep, got my MY00 in December 1999 from him. What happens is this:

1. Pay deposit (I paid using a SWIFT transfer - costs around 20 quid)

This gets paid to Gertjan's garage directly, then he pays it to Subaru Netherlands (probably now Subaru Benelux) immediately as that's what gets your order started

2. Wait
3. Wait
4. Get phonecall with exact date of car (normally 5 months or so)
5. Get excited
6. Wait
7. Wait
8. Pay final balance
9. Pick up car
10. Grin
11. Register car with DVLA (1 form, costs 25 quid)
12. Get alarm fitted

As you imagine, I was nervous about sending best part of 3 grand to a complete stranger, but another chap went over to Holland and met up with Gertjan to check everything out. After that happened, trust was established and I ordered. Plus loads of people have done it before.

Regarding escrow or similar, I don't know of any service but as you're dealing with the garage direct you're probably just as well protected from bankruptcy of the person you're paying money to.

I wouldn't hesitate to use him again, but do check out the importers mentioned here as the money could probably be around similar. If you phone him, tell him Nick sent you . No doubt if you've got any queries he'll give you my phone number - he's done this before ! (No connection other than a very happy customer )

Cheers,
nick.
Old 20 January 2003, 04:34 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Pbee
I've read an article in Car Buyer about 'Buy Forwrad' schemes, although they didn't elborate any further than that so I'll have to investigate that one, I assume it would be a curreny broker?!
I work for a bank in the City so wiring money is not a problem, but, I 'll ask here what they think about opening accounts abroad i.e with Citibank.
Cheers
Old 20 January 2003, 04:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I opened a citibank sterling account and Dutch Guilder account (converted automatically to Euros) as their intra-citibank exchange rate is pretty good. Changes daily, but is generally quite a significant difference to the other high-street banks I got a quote from.

I think Swift transfers cost 20 quid, possibly 25?
Old 20 January 2003, 06:26 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Beano,

Gertjans website is as listed earlier:-

Gertjan

Loads of people in the UK (including me) have bought cars from him.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 20 January 2003, 07:23 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Sorry Ian E, must be going blind!!!

Old 20 January 2003, 07:36 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Thanks again, I have emailed Gertjan's and will see what they can offer, 5 months wait may not be fun though! :-)
Old 20 January 2003, 07:38 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Beano,
Like the other guys, I can thoughly recommend Gertjan.
He recently came over to a meeting of the Tyne Tees Scoobies at Durham and everyone was impressed with what he had to say.
Offered the group some great discounts.
He even has a page on WWW.tyneteesscoobies.com for anyone that wants a quote. Mention this and you should get a good deal.
I also used Currencies Direct and would recommend them highly.
Good Luck

Martin