Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oppps Drove STiV8 Yesterday !

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 08:38 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving wise it felt pretty much the same as the STi, though i have mine PPP'd so it sounded much quieter and it also felt a little smoother over the bumps. It only had 3 or 4 miles on the clock and was very tight, but performance wise i'm sure there would be vittually no difference between that and the VII,

Likes - the front look better - if not perfect. The bonnett scoop look absolutely ridiculous - too ott - and looks like something you've stuck on yourself. I also wish the rear spoiler was smaller - think it draws too much attention, but that's justmy preference.

Inside, not much change, better stereo... but silver finish has gone from dash, which i actually quite liked, also the seats are less supportive than the VII and finish feels sightly less quality on the seats. Blue carpet to floor's ok (little different overall) and the steering wheel is a nicer size, but not too keen on the look again.

So overall styling wise (bonnett scoop forgotten) its a good step in the right direction, otherwise I really don't think there's been much change - or that you'd notice.

One small styling cue i do like is that the rear lights now come flush with the wings, as opposed to having a rim around them.

Delivery, If i want one is within 2/3 weeks.

Regards guys

Mark
Old 17 January 2003, 09:57 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Is the steering wheel now the 'Evo' style 3 spoke ?
Old 17 January 2003, 10:18 AM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Check it out....

http://groups.msn.com/IMPREZAWRXPhotosite/sti8innz.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=645

Cheers, Mark.
Old 17 January 2003, 11:22 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Clickable
Old 17 January 2003, 02:27 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Mark,
Did you go to Mainland for the test drive??

Cheers

Nick
Old 17 January 2003, 03:09 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Thinking of popping down to Mainland tommorrow for a look!!!
Old 18 January 2003, 11:46 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had the pleasure of preparing a new STi8 yesterday....what an improvement!
Old 18 January 2003, 12:02 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Mark

can you explain your view on the improvement?

Nigeyboy
Old 18 January 2003, 12:25 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Had another look yesterday - and foolishly or otherwise, my brother and me have traded our Sti7's for two Sti 8's.

Was very much in two minds whether it was worth while - but thought that the front was much nicer on the new model - its all down to personal prefernce I guess. I must say however that the dealer is supplying the cars with the standard wrx scoop - could not live with the huge scoop.

Main differences are as follows:

1. Looks better styled - more like the classic shape - and certainly looks much better in the metal - some pics I've seen have made it look terrible - but in the metal it looks nice.

2. Interior - seats are not a good as the V7sti - I'm sure they have done a little cost cutting here - which in my opinion is a shame.

3. Three spoke wheel feels a bit sportier - but not a huge deal really.

4. Trim inside has gone from silver finish to gunmetal finish - again - no big deal - also carpets dark blue instead of black, better stereo, central locking button inside.

5. On driving, the car feels quite alot smoother over the bumps - though I think overall there's not a gulf of difference between the two cars.

Overall i would say that, irrespective of what Subaru may say, 99% of the difference in everyday terms comes down to the new styling.

I would say however that the biggest improvement after styling is that there is one small key for the car which, at last, incorporates the remote for the locking and alarm - no seperate fob
Old 18 January 2003, 12:38 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Yep at Mainland
Old 18 January 2003, 05:03 PM
SteveH
Scooby Regular

Mark

Got a STI7 and looked at the STI8 today, front end cetainly better, did you get a good deal trading the STI7?

Steve
Old 18 January 2003, 05:43 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Mark

Does the suspension rattle????

Phil
Old 18 January 2003, 05:58 PM
Tboner
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well Folks after a few days with MY 03 Sti can deffinately say more than just cosmetic changes on this car compared to MY 02
car.
Handling is far more agile , But the big diff.. This car starts pulling from 3200RPM !! and has far more throttle response. , Steering wheel is far better and i am sure it has less turns lock to lock.
There is no way this has the same ecu map as the 02 STi or if it has something else has changed.
Having to be careful with the running in at the Mo.. the car spools up very quickly at even half throttle up to me setting of 4200 RPM (for the first 500 miles or so)

Suspension no bangs and bumps ( but would not expect any yet i suppose)

The new front and rear setups are totally different from the 02 with far less camber change under corner load & quicker input response from the wheel, Feedback is also very good.

Although the stereo is a new Kenwood design , still junk it has already been replaced !!.
Alarm built in to keyfob a nice touch ( about bloody time)

Overall this car is going to be a winner from Subaru ( excepting the bonnet scoop which is monstrous , like something from Ripseed or a 1950's US HOT Rod ).

Cannot wait for the first service to start giving it some right foot .

Mark did the body job on it yesterday for me , awesome ( Thanks Mark) also the 02 WRX of Ian's looks bloody good too....

Will take some pics tomm.. and post the URL so they can viewed.

Reagards

To you all

PS the new front end is far better and the great thing the headlamps on full beam are superb compared to all 4 of the previous cars i have owned

[Edited by Tboner - 1/18/2003 6:07:13 PM]