SIDC - club in crisis

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2002, 02:32 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now Lisa and Lee want out!

At the recent AGM, Pete Croney wanted to stand down as chairman, but nobody would take his place.

Days later, new Comp Sec Mellow Yellow had had enough with track day problems. I think/hope we've talked him round for now.

Then last Saturday (7th Dec) Club Sec Lisa, and IT boss Lee handed in the towel. Being on the receiving end of complaints about Bedford maybe had something to do with that (I'm guessing) even though it had nothing to do with them.

Our club is in trouble. Does anyone care? Any bright ideas?

Best regards,

Richard.
Old 09 December 2002, 02:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think no-one stepping up to be chairperson kind of shows how most people feel. We all know that being on the committe or even being a regional organiser takes a LOT of time and effort, and I'm not, for once, belittling the efforts of the SIDC.

My personal view is that things are now too big for it to be run as purley a volunteer positioned club, I think it needs to be more like a company, ie; part/full time employees. OK, I know that probably entails a hell of a lot, but it could be worht it, and may well make the club better than it is.

Not being over dramatic here, but it things do seem rather grey for SIDC. An no comments of "well do something about it! put yourself forward for chairperson/other position" I've heard all this before, when people complain the age old "well, you get off your **** and do it" comments come along, and when you say "I don't want to" people say "well, if you can't be bothered to make an effort, shut up!" Fair enough, but some of us simply do not have the time to put into things, it's not for a want of not wishing too (one was close to applying for one commitee position at one point, but did not in the end).

anyway, my 2 cents worth.
Old 09 December 2002, 02:58 PM
JohnS

Arrow

The club isn't in trouble

Peter decided some time ago that he wanted to stand down as Chairman, but still remain involved with the club as a committee member. He has said that he shall remain in the position, until a suitable replacement is found.

Lee and Lisa decided about a month or two ago that they would also like some more free time. As well as looking after a growing business, they also have a young family to look after, and simply can't devote the time available to give their best to the club.

All have been in their present roles for a few years now, and feel the time is right to hand over the reigns to other volunteers who do have sufficient time to do a good job for the club.

Any nominations or suggestions for the roles would be gladly appreciated (there have been a few already)
Old 09 December 2002, 03:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Never wished to suggest SIDC was in trouble, but does make you wonder when things like this do pop up.

big thumbs up to Pete, Lisa and Lee (and the rest of the team) as the work you have done for the club is outstanding, and this should mean something coming from me, who is known to bash the club a wee bit!

Guess I'm just feeling that the club has lost some of it's direction, dunno why I feel this or exactly what I mean by this. Just it does not seem the same club I joined a few years back. Anyway, this is not really the place to dicuss this.
Old 09 December 2002, 05:37 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Delighted to hear that, John.

Richard.
Old 09 December 2002, 07:31 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

I can't say I've done anything for the club in the few months I've been a member, but FWIW I have noticed that almost all of the on-the-ground activities I'm being offered are coming out of ScoobyNet through ad-hoc regional groups of enthusiasts. On the two occasions when I've attended an event that at least *seemed* to have official SIDC attention, the club has been noticeable by its absence - I refer to the Castle Combe Rallyday and the 'Big Southern Meeting' at Longleat.

I too have a young family and many other things to take up my attention, so I can understand why people are reluctant to step forward. But regardless of who is in the driving seat, it's the route being taken that I have trouble with. For all that I get out of SIDC I may as well not be a member - which seems a shame, given my initial enthusiasm in the summer.

Why did the club have no visibility at Castle Combe, despite that the word had been put about that you wanted 100+ Scoobies to attend? Why did the club have no visibility at Longleat, though the tickets were printed with your logo? And why are there no events happening specifically under the aegis of the club within a hundred miles of my Somerset base?
Old 09 December 2002, 08:15 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

IIRC there was something else on the same day as Castel Coomber and SIDC had prior arrangements for that. There was donnington & Trax this year that I went to as well as other stuff.

Steve
Old 09 December 2002, 09:06 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Just for the record I'd like to point out that mine and Lisa's reasons for wanting to step down are purely based on our workload. We first aired our desire to step down many months ago, before any bedford or recent sagas.

Unfortunately we've managed to build a "system" around us which is very demanding, both from a time-input and technical point of view, so its going to make handing it over somewhat tricky. In fairness its Lisa's job which is the one which needs to be handed over more urgently. I can carry on in a "support role" for a while but I have no time for any further development which is a shame since I had some great ideas for the club.

Old 09 December 2002, 09:06 PM
sidclisa
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would like to confirm that the club is not in any trouble.

The reasons why Lee and I are resigning is due to running a business and having a todler.

Lee and I have had our positions for over two and half years and during this time I hope that we have done a good job

We have had many replies regarding the IT position but not many on the membership secretary. Both of these positions really need to be in the same area or if possible a couple who share the job.

If you would like more information on either of these positions please send a email to committee@sidc.co.uk.

Thanks

Lisa
Old 09 December 2002, 09:17 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

So your resignation's nothing to do with Klez-Booth then, Lee?
Old 09 December 2002, 09:45 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Question

Well before you all vanish as quick as my £175 any news??
Old 09 December 2002, 10:02 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

From Liz today....

Sorry for the delay. I have just got back from holiday and it looks like I have my work cut out for me! Please bear with me whilst I sort through the names and paperwork. I will get back to you tomorrow to confirm which cars are due a refund and how many cars ran on the day. Together we can ensure that everyone who is due their money back receives it.

please be patient