Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awful Impreza Prices - some suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 02:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I DONT CARE ABOUT FUEL CONSUMPTION
I DONT CARE ABOUT INSURANCE
I DONT WORRY WHERE I PARK

I bought my Scoob to drive it everywhere I go, not just if its between 11-20 degrees with no risk of rain on a Sunday between 12pm and 6pm !

Agree with Andy Porter and Saxo Boy both 100%

[Edited by SiPie - 12/6/2002 2:08:17 PM]
Old 06 December 2002, 12:55 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

I've peen pondering this and would love to hear your thoughts. Why are Impreza prices so bad? I reckon it is a combination of the factors below:

1. There are a lot of them coming off three year lease plans, company cars etc. and flooding the market place.
2. Second hand buyers cannot afford the running costs compared to the more flush or company car driver that can from new.
3. Lots of scoobs were bought by IT peeps, and you lot are a little in the doldrums at the moment?
4. There is a new model with a major looks problem which is damaging its residuals, and hence the old model also.
5 There is yet another new one coming out, and IM have been offereing big reductions on MY02s.
6 The Impreza is so much cheaper in Europe that many people buy parallel imports = drives down value of UK cars.
7. Horror stories about car jacking in the press
8. Horror stories about engine failure
9. Old models are so cheap the more flush Nova boys can afford to buy them (if not to run them properly)
10. All used car values are down
11. Everyone is pouring their capital into houses, not cars.

Also, I would suggest that the only cars that still fetch good money are the low mileage unusual ones, mainly Jap imports such as the Type RAs and Type Rs.

Finally, I reckon we are as much at fault for a lot of this as anyone else. People come here to do their research before buying, and they hear all of the above points which either a. puts them off, or b. makes them offer less cash.

What do you think?
Old 06 December 2002, 01:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agree with that last point. This is no longer scooby net, it's downonourselvesnet! People come on here saying we've got our head stuck up our scooby's as$ but I'd say the reverse is true! Most of us slate the impreza and that puts other drivers/potential owners off. I mean we've got a thread running in other marques about TDI's accelerating with scoobys!! WTF, will you lazy buggers drop a cog and show these TDI's what its all about!! I was in my mates 130TDI golf this morning and it pulled from 70-90 in top nearly as quick as my scooby. Of course, if we were racing I'd drop to 3rd and disappear!! I think we overly slag the Impreza and drive it like fairys most of the time! No wonder with the slating you get on here. I made a sneeky lane change the other week and shat myself when I saw the car I did it in front of! 'Why Saxo Boy, was it the police!' - you ask?

NO, it was another scooby and I was expecting the 'who's the mother ****** that pulled out in front of me' post and subsequent flaming on scoobynet!

I'm going to say it though, "I like my car" <flame suit on>

Furthermore, if I got someone interested enough to get in it I'm sure I could sell it to them but anyone looking at the spec on scoobynet would probably see 'dawes', '270ish bhp' and then run a mile!!

Sorry, ranted a little there

Old 06 December 2002, 01:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Who cares? Buy it, enjoy it, sell it....or buy a Fiesta diesel instead
Old 06 December 2002, 01:32 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I agree, there never used to be people on here bragging about some tin pot piece of ****e deisel that they drive to work daily that can do 111MPG ' easy '
I for one am sick to death of it.
I DONT CARE ABOUT FUEL CONSUMPTION
I DONT CARE ABOUT INSURANCE
I DONT WORRY WHERE I PARK

I bought my Scoob to drive it everywhere I go, not just if its between 11-20 degrees with no risk of rain on a Sunday between 12pm and 6pm !

So I ask nicely, STOP PUTTING SCOOBS DOWN, most people who do it own one for christ sake !
Andyp

Wanted to say that all this year.
Old 06 December 2002, 01:44 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Agree with Andy. I still rather like my Scoob nearly two years on. I use it as day-to-day transport, for shopping, holidays, the odd cross-country blast, and the occasional trackday.
Old 06 December 2002, 01:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Andy
Glad to give you the lead in then
Old 06 December 2002, 01:56 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

If its worth 50% of what you paid fot it after 3 years, this is normal depreciation that most cars suffer.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:00 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

The thing is, for every seller who is moaning about the depreciation, there is a buyer who is delighted to be getting a bargain.
Also depends how you look at the depreciation - 4 months ago I traded in my MY99 UK turbo for an RB5 WR. The MY99 lost just over £10k in 3 years. Ouch. But in fact, that is 50% depreciation in 3 years. Better than most other cars. If you sell your car after 1 year then you will lose a heap of dosh, whatever the car. So any MY02 owner has to look at things in perspective - if you sell your car now its bad news. If you keep it for another year or 2 the rate of depreciation will slow down. In the meantime enjoy it and stop moaning!!!

Steve
Old 06 December 2002, 02:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

give me a particular model of car, and i guarantee it's value and status will rise.

Westfield sold tonnes of new 7's on the back of me giving passenger rides and blowing the doors off any other trackcar out there.

The same is happening with STi5 Type RA's, they have sudenly become the car to buy.

So come on IM, give me a bugeye STi or WRX for free, i'll sort this crap out!!
Old 06 December 2002, 02:46 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

LOl @ John, nice 1
Cheers Dave, just the cue I needed
Andyp