Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

subaru or civic type r

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 12:12 AM
roee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Civic driver I spoke with reports very good fuel consumption, downright brilliant considering the nature of the car. Much better than an Imperza anyway.

As for the engines, I must say I'd pick up a good N/A over a Turbo any day - driving an Impreza GT back to back with a Clio 172, I loved the engine in the Clio much more, even though it didn't go mad like the GT engine does at 4000. The N/A was responsive, fast revving, immediate throttle responds.. But admittedly, it doesn't have that brutal feel of the Turbo engine.

Which one? Running costs aside, I'd have an Impreza any day. You just can't beat AWD with FWD, there's NOTHING like sliding a AWD car around, and while FWD can be almost as fast, it's nowhere as satisfying

[Edited by roee - 12/4/2002 12:13:31 AM]
Old 12 April 2002, 01:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MooseRacer

Undoubtedly a valid point....

Exactly - you had a Prelude 2.2vtec. NOT a Type R. Big difference.
CTR 0-60 = 6.8
Prelude 2.2vtec (183bhp) 7.1 as standard... and mine cretainly wasn't

So I would say the difference is..........

Now where did that difference go, I seem to have lost it

On a more serious note, I appreciate your point but I would say that the prelude would have easily been just as quick. More aerodynamic than the Civic(I presume) and the 4WS certainly took the handling close to the level of the CTR. Not sure about weight differences etc but I think the cars would be more or less on a par with each other

Ironically I sold the predlude to a mate and he was convined that that his newly accquired prelude would blow the Subaru into the distance. Well on the night in question (and yes it was dry ) when he finally plucked up the courage to prove his misplaced faith, the difference was hilarious

[Edited by SiPie - 12/4/2002 1:11:30 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 04:02 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
ive got a scooby and ive driven a type R
in the wet the type R is, put it bluntly cr4p very cr4p,
cornering at speed as in 100mph+ as above very loose back end

the best thing about the honda u can drive round town in 6th gear at 30mph and put your foot down and it will go with no judder
and a lot cheaper to run than scooby
(out of 10)

honda 7.5

scooby 9

[Edited by scooby-si - 12/4/2002 4:05:27 PM]
Old 03 December 2002, 09:03 PM
carp100
Scooby Newbie

Having to sell a Lotus Elise due to lack of seats - thinking of a scooby or Honda Civic Type R - any comments or recommendations?
Old 03 December 2002, 09:22 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Talking

Being a subaru board, I guess the recommendation would have to be to buy a subaru. Try on a civic type R board, they may give you a different answer.

Seriously, I've had my Impreza for two months, and love it to bits. Did consider a Civic Type R, but wasn't convinced about its long term appeal, compared to wanting a scoob for about three years.

Good luck.
Dave
Old 03 December 2002, 09:48 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Scoobs do cost a lot to run. Eat tyres, petrol etc.
Modified WRX or STI more full on. Rawer noise, performance. etc.
My WRX is brutaly quick and great fun to drive, no frills - eg cr*p interior no ABS etc.
Civic I would have thought would be quick but bit easier to live with on a day to day basis, especialy on a commute.
I haven't driven a Civic yet. these are my impressions after talking to owners.

But best get it from the horses mouth. Someone who has owned a Scoob and a Civic. they will give you better advice.

Best wishes
Steve
Old 03 December 2002, 09:54 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Hey guys

Ive got a scooby and my mother has a civic R ive driven the R pretty hard and fells a little more solid through the bends in the dry but drive ability, noise, presence and raw power of my scoob wins hands down i wouldn`t swop it, no way.

Hope this helps you,

Simon
Old 03 December 2002, 09:56 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

calling laurence.....he had a scoob and now got a CTR.

sure he'll see this soon.........

personally i would go for the scoob as i wish i'd never had to sell mine.

brilliant car. sure its a bit dear on petrol and insurance but the CTR aint gonna be much cheaper.

never got to drive a CTR - nearly did couple weeks ago cos my other half was looking for a new car but dealer did not have one

depends wot u want i guess.....scoob 4wd, 4 door family type car which goes and grips like a rally car. reasonable interior and standard aircon / cd on wrx. well built and servicing not expensive either.

CTR - have to try harder to extract all its go.....cos of the higher revving nature of the engine......2 door.........odd gearlevel position to !!

try them both and decide......gr8 deal on a brand new current model WRX though at £18,995 otr !!!
Old 03 December 2002, 10:14 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Own Both

no question - go for the Scoob, looking at getting rid of the Civic and buying an Evo...

Costs and depreciation on Civic wont be that much lower - the Civic eats front tyres.. must be a heavy front. The thing that annoys me is the Civic wet handling - its plain dangerous and needs the set up adjusting. The dry handling is good, but for a couple of grand more you can get the new scoobs!

I got mine in Holland though for £13k all in - I would'nt pay anywhere near the £17.2k (with air con, which mine has and metallic) that the UK Dealers charge - that said the e/r with the Euro is poorer so its likely to cost nearer £14k ish now in Holland

The Vtec engine is also quite annoying - you have to thrash it

If you can wait and are on a budget get a Type R from abroad and get it set up straight away at say Powerstation and add say an exhaust and filter for a little more oomph - they are'nt that fast standard.. I also have a chipped Audi Turbo (greedy are'nt I!) and the Civic can't get awy from this (a 1.8t) - thought the civic is standard

I've had it for over 6 months though and have had no probs with it. It does seem to chip easy and the paintwork overall seems naff. Its nice and big inside..

Shame the Scooby is that much better..

and no juts cos I'm on the site I'm not biased... just cant realy compare.. but then I do prefer Turbo cars (not just Scoob Turbos)
Old 03 December 2002, 11:11 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Am I that reliable Steve?

Ok then, I'll comment your post in that case:

sure its a bit dear on petrol and insurance but the CTR aint gonna be much cheaper.
I was paying £950 for insurance on my Scooby with Induction and exhaust mods. Am now paying £508 on the CTR with the same mods + JDM windows. Petrol-wise my average over a year with the Scooby was 24mpg, my average for the last year with the CTR is 32mpg so that's a good saving ('cept I have a company fuel card even though it's my car )

standard aircon / cd on wrx.
Got me there. Single CD is standard although I got a dashmount autochanger thrown in as part of the deal. Had A/C fitted in August.

CTR - have to try harder to extract all its go.....cos of the higher revving nature of the engine......2 door.........odd gearlevel position to !!
Once you get used to the nature of a VTEC it's as addictive as a turbo. Just uses a different method of driving. I'm well into it now As to the gear lever - I defy anyone to drive a CTR and say they don't like it, it's got about the best driving position of anything I've been in EVER!

try them both and decide
Agreed. I've driven and owned both. Both superb cars. Whichever you get won't disappoint you in the slightest.

Laurence
Old 04 December 2002, 08:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lpitt - If you had to choose, which would it be.?
Old 04 December 2002, 08:56 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi laurence

did not think it would take you to long to home in on that thread and my post

not reliable enough though cos u still not taken me out in your CTR have u !

good insurance saving.....i thought the CTR was Grp 17 to ? MPG be better cos u not always redlining the CTR i guess where as the scooby turbo is there all time from much lower revs

air con still £1500 on the CTR ?

sitting in the CTR the gear lever was weird ! but i was not able to drive it cos it was the salesmans and he did not offer us a test drive so they did not have a chance of a sale...their loss.

all things being equal i would have the scoob any day must buy one again soon !
Old 04 December 2002, 09:16 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

£1500 for aircon!

Dealer cost should be no more than £1200, though one quoted me £900

It costs about £650 abroad in the spec - me thinks we is getting ripped off here
Old 04 December 2002, 09:18 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Brun: If I had to choose between a classic or WRX Impreza and the CTR the CTR would win every time. To be quite honest the only thing I really miss is the engine note on the Scooby and VTEC scream is still pretty impressive. The question is what would I choose between a CTR and an STi or JDM Impreza? Well in that case I'm afraid it would be the Scooby - different league altogether!

Steve: Once my mate starts working at your place I'll be down again - it'll happen one day and just think of the mods I'll have in place when it does . The CTR was a Gp18 when I got it but still cheaper than the Scooby for some reason. This time it's dropped to a Gp17 and the insurance has gone down with it.

I'm not really sure why it's more economical. Ok so you don't tend to drive in the VTEC all the time, but normal motorway cruising is at about 4,000rpm remember. Plus I'm averaging 32mpg in mine with mods, a recent RR puts it around 215bhp. My best is 41mpg on a run to Leeds and back!

A/C is £1250 including fitting but I wouldn't pay that. With negotiation I got it for just over half price with a 12k service thrown in at the same time.

The gear lever is a bit weird to just sit in but once you are driving it - wow! Look at the position in a Touring car or a rally car, any similarity? It's also about the best gearbox I've ever come across.

IMO the only thing that a CTR needs to make it perfect is LSD and I'm planning that next

Laurence
Old 04 December 2002, 09:18 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Owned a type r for 6 months before I got the scoob.(New MY02 +PPP)

Type r 'in the vtec zone' is quick. Reasonably hard ride and road noise can be a little intrusive. Engine excellent but you do have to thrash it. Gearbox best I've ever tried.

However, discount scoob at £18,000 = power when you need it, AWD and more refined.

Scoob is more expensive to run, but not vastly so. 29/30 mpg on the civic versus 24/25 at best on the scoob.Insurance a bit more

Both cars in standard form have similar performance, scoob easier to extract. 6-8000 revs in the civic in 2nd is 60ish, in 3rd its 80ish and so on. You can't experience the kick all the time in the real world. Thats why I swapped.

Hope this is of some help

Matt

Old 04 December 2002, 09:36 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

interesting comments about the CTR in the wet doofus ?

i thought the CTR was meant to be rather good all round ? or have people begun to revise their opinions of it ?
Old 04 December 2002, 10:19 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I live in the country as well. My drive into the office (when I bother) is about 30 miles of 'B' roads and single tracks round Hampshire.

Ok, so FWD is never going to be as confident as AWD in the wet but that's no surprise is it. I wouldn't say that I suffer wheelspin or worry about leaves though - certainly no worse than in my wifes Scenic!

The CTR chassis is very tractable and gives loads of information about what's going on underneath (even the much maligned steering is excellent once you get used to it very precise).

Just remember, you can't expect a FWD CTR to handle in all conditions like an AWD Scooby can you? IMHO though, it handles in the wet better than just about any other FWD car and is the equal of any in the dry as well!

Laurence
Old 04 December 2002, 11:02 AM
met
Scooby Regular

subaru all the way i'm afraid, tested a couple of ctr's before buying my bug eye wrx, & if i had to pin it on one thing it has to be the grin factor of that turbo. neither cars are cheap to run so you may as well get out with a big smile after each drive. had a full decat, filter & dump valve & the scoob sounds so sweet! you cant beat it. also the sheer ability to cover all types of road conditions without letting go.
Old 04 December 2002, 11:11 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I also said the wet weather ability was dire - surely this could be sorted to some extent with suspension geometry re-settings?
Old 04 December 2002, 11:12 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

so the scoob

c
o
r
n
e
r
s

better then

Old 04 December 2002, 11:18 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

No, that's been proved. The CTR is better on track.

The Scooby is better in the

t t
w s i s
i e

though

As with the Scooby though, both are sensitive to tyre pressure and decent tyres.
Old 04 December 2002, 12:03 PM
BigPicture
Scooby Newbie

I owned a classic impreza from new for 3 years which i recently replaced (July) for a new CTR.

IMHO I prefer the CTR. It was purchased for tax/running reasons but it beats, hands down my Scooby for handling. It feels much more sure footed and yes I did push my Scoob, so much that it kissed a crash barrier.

I thought I missed the Scoob but I don't. Once you've tasted VTEC you just want to rev the nust off the car all the time. The slingshot power delivery this provides makes the push of a turbo feel rather muted.

90,000 miles warrenty also makes me

But hey, my opinion, each to their own
Old 04 December 2002, 12:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The slingshot power delivery this provides makes the push of a turbo feel rather muted.
There was either something really wrong with the prelude 2.2vtec I had or there was something very wrong with your scoob

All IMHO of course
Old 04 December 2002, 12:22 PM
zax
Scooby Regular

This is a well timed discussion, 'cos I'm thinking of buying a CTR to replace my dead Impreza. Let me slightly alter the question:

CTR = €30,000
WRX = €53,000

...so a new scooby is over £8,000 more expensive here. Is it that much better?
Old 04 December 2002, 12:35 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

You've also got to look at other things than fuel consumption, insurance etc. I normally get bored with cars easily but i've had the scooby nearly three years now and that's due to the huge amount of tuning options out there. Basically with the civic the power your gonna get is there or there abouts.... you can easily get anoth 100bhp out of a subaru. There's always something that you want to do to the car.... it keeps the interest.

Basically depends what your needs are.

Tony.
Old 04 December 2002, 12:47 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

There was either something really wrong with the prelude 2.2vtec I had or there was something very wrong with your scoob

All IMHO of course

Exactly - you had a Prelude 2.2vtec. NOT a Type R. Big difference.
Old 04 December 2002, 01:04 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didn't think they did a Type R Prelude, it was a Type S wasn't it?

Quick Reply: subaru or civic type r