Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre blow out at speed on a Scoob - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 10:51 AM
roee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowouts are NASTY - I once heard tire faults account for 25 percent of the accidents caused by loss of control...

If it happens in straight line, you should be able to stop the car, but if it's mid corner - then it's almost impossible to recover (it can be done, but requires alot of skill and measured reactions.. It's almost like pulling an handbrake mid turn if the external rear tire goes).
Generally, rear tires blowouts are the worst.

Best thing to do is to take preventive measures. Most blowouts occur because of tire underinflation which causes it to move excessively and heat up, until the point of blowing. So always inflate and inspect often (but that's a good thing to do regardless of blowing tires). Be easy with the tires on gravel or other non-even surfaces and always inspect them for damage. I too have that same thought on my mind when I "go for it", scary stuff.
Potholes and other hard edged things can (and will) cause internal damage to the tire.

Even if you do change your tires prematurely, you get a fresh set of tires that are less likely to blow out, so it's not like you wasted money.

I guess, just guess, that low profile tires are more likely to blow, am I right?

[Edited by roee - 12/1/2002 10:53:00 AM]
Old 30 November 2002, 06:16 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Question

Hi
What do you think?
A couple of years back I had a rear tyre blow on me at 95-100mph in a rear wheel drive car. It was a bit hairy at first.
But because I knew what I was doing and fortunately had some room to play with, I controlled it and manged to pull in.

What would people do if a front and/or rear tyre blew on their scoob? Interested in peoples experiences and what techniques were used to bring the car safely under control.

Best wishes
Steve
Old 30 November 2002, 06:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

What would I do?? Is that AFTER I have **** myself??

Pete
Old 30 November 2002, 06:24 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL Pete
Old 30 November 2002, 06:30 PM
sc00by57
Scooby Regular

hopefully i never have a blow out in my scooby! 18" rims and f*** all tyre means severe damage to £500 per corner!
on this note tho i have had a blow out i my van! scary as was midnight on the a1! front tyre decided to blow luckily bein that time of night it was quiet so managed to swerve a little and stop! still a bit hairy with lorries flyin past at 56mph tryin to change the drivers side front wheel in the dark tho!
steve
Old 30 November 2002, 07:31 PM
T Gardemeister
Scooby Regular

Pray that the resulting spin didn't get compounded by fuel surge!

Old 30 November 2002, 07:56 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I had a blowout in my Renault 19 16v years ago at about 90mph.

I just kept things smooth - no sudden inputs and got the car to a halt. And yes - I very nearly $#aT my grundies

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 11/30/2002 7:56:43 PM]
Old 30 November 2002, 08:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Pray that the resulting spin didn't get compounded by fuel surge!
That was one comment to many, I just became your worst nightmare!
Old 30 November 2002, 08:14 PM
T Gardemeister
Scooby Regular

Old 30 November 2002, 08:22 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I just became your worst nightmare!
You can do impressions of difficult rally stages?
Old 30 November 2002, 08:24 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Look for the nearest gatso/drug dealer/enemy and ram into them blaming the tyre blowout..
Old 30 November 2002, 08:25 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had one front tyre blowout, mid corner, about 2 weeks after pasing my test in a Peugeot 205. Can't remember exact speed, perhaps 50mph.

The technique I used to bring it under control was to swing the wheel too far to compensate, bounce off a curb, and use all 8 (yes I mean 8) corners of the car to bring it to a halt. As this was such a simple manouvre, I decided to embelish it with a 2 3/4 twisting half back flip, clearing a 6 foot fence at the time.

Like to think that now I'm 12 years older and wiser (well older, certainly)
Old 30 November 2002, 08:32 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

The technique I used to bring it under control was to swing the wheel too far to compensate, bounce off a curb, and use all 8 (yes I mean 8) corners of the car to bring it to a halt. As this was such a simple manouvre, I decided to embelish it with a 2 3/4 twisting half back flip, clearing a 6 foot fence at the time.
How many marks did you get awarded for that? Surely that kind of combination would be no less than 8.5 marks out of 10
Old 30 November 2002, 08:39 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I got a 9.3 from the guy following. He deducted half a point as I didn't finish on the wheels.
Old 30 November 2002, 08:42 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

LOL

That's a pity he dropped you the half point - observers are so picky nowadays

I have to say you outdid my bouncing off a tree forwards, then backwards and a twisting double pike with a sliding roof finish.
Old 30 November 2002, 08:43 PM
pslewis.
Scooby Regular

Red face

>What would I do?? Is that AFTER I have **** myself?? ....
If he actually drove the car like it was designed he would know that the 4wd system along with the front-rear diff would actually defend you in this situation

PeteII
Old 30 November 2002, 08:43 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Wink

Do you get extra points if it's a space saver?
Old 30 November 2002, 10:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Subaru's wonderful AWD system would also clean my kitchen sink as well whilst it did other miracles How TF is AWD supposed to help in this situation except to make things worse by producing inexperienced overconfident drivers who don't have a clue?
Old 30 November 2002, 11:57 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

A couple of years ago (when I had a MY99 Sport) driving through some country lanes, I pulled out of a junction, started accelerating and hit a largeish pothole (yes I should have seen it but didn't )

I then overtook a tractor & car, and when pulling back in, i felt the car become very unresponsive, at this point I knew I had blown a tyre on the front passenger side

However when the car was driving in a straight line I didnt notice anything much different, but after the blow-out, I put this down to the AWD system

I was quite pleased really, that I didnt end up having to fight with the car to bring it under control, just a steady slow down to a stop

Unlike several years before that, I had two blow outs, (around 80-90mph) in a Sierra, one on country roads, the other on the motorway several days later, needles to say I took the car straight in for checking, but it did turn out ok in the end

All in all I would rather be in an impreza than any other car (that I have driven at least) much safer IMHO

Thats why I am getting another one, only this time a real(turbo) one

Steve

Old 01 December 2002, 12:17 AM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Blew a front passengerside tyre on the M3 in a MY99 at about 80MPH (17"rims) car stayed stable, and I was able to pull onto hard shoulder with no dramas, AA van I had just overtaken pulled up behind sat with me for 15mins till what was left of the tyre cooled down, then changed the wheel for me, and I'm not even a member, (top bloke!!)
Old 01 December 2002, 10:30 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone had a blow out, mid-corner? When i'm pushing on, this thought is always in the back of my mind. I have visions of tearing straight across the road into on-coming traffic.
Old 01 December 2002, 11:01 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

High speed blow outs "TEND" to be on Motorways, just lift off, DONT brake unless you have to & then only as Gently as possible.
Allow the car to slow down on its own & move onto the hard shoulder & stop. As long as you keep the car balanced & do nothing sudden it SHOULD be ok.
If you have a blow out on a high speed corner when the car is on the limit I guess the outcome is fairly obvious.
Old 01 December 2002, 11:54 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I have run-flats on my MINI, it's nice to know a blow out won't put me into the ditch

Andy
Old 01 December 2002, 12:00 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Girlfriend had a blow out in a 206 gti, and drove for a mile or so without noticing. Thankfully a nice man in a landrover passed her and pointed out the plooms of smoke coming from the nearside rear. Do I trust her with the scoob?? (only on the way home from the pub)
Old 01 December 2002, 12:22 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stuart.You are right. Cause that is what worked for me. I was very smooth and gentle with the controls. I lifted off gently, dipped the clutch to get the car balanced. The back end was all over the place, I had to concentrate very hard and use gentle opposite lock each way to get the car to settle down. I then coasted to a halt very very gently touching the brakes on and off, I don't know whether this made any difference. As I was very carefull with them. But I wanted stop sooner rather than later. This worked for me but was on RWD car. I assume the same would work with 4WD.

I then got out and thought fu*k that was close.
Steve
Old 01 December 2002, 01:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

I once heard tire faults account for 25 percent of the accidents caused by loss of control
What utter tripe! We all know that bad tyres, tire faults and other faults can't possibly account for accidents and that the driver is always to blame

Old 01 December 2002, 04:30 PM
mavrick
Scooby Regular

Do I trust her with the scoob?? (only on the way home from the pub)
LOL me to