Sponsored by:

STi Versions...

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 07:20 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay, i have a little issue to clear up. As you all know, the Impreza is referred to as MY--. With the -- as the last two digits of the year. The STi also is referred to by it's Version number. Now the last "Classic" shape impreza was the MY00 or the STi Version 6. There have been two STi bugeye versions and now the MY03 STi version. Here comes my problem, everybody has been referring to the MY03 as the STi version 8. Shouldn't it be the Version 9??? Is this a difference between the NewZealand and UK markets. Sorry if I have missed something incredibly obvious but if somebody could clear this up, it would be much appreciated.

TheScooby
Old 27 November 2002, 07:52 AM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

In the UK the 'sti uk' and the 'sti uk Prodrive' are both version 7 but just slightly different spec, rather than one being a ver 7 and one a ver 8.
I'm still only on version 5, but they keep bringing out more new cars
Old 27 November 2002, 07:53 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The STi Version x in the GC (i.e. classic shape) series are called that cos that is what FHI calls them. For example, the MY00 JDM brochure lists the STi as 'STi Ver 6'. They are official names.
For the New Age, FHI just calls it the STi, no versions whatsoever. Therefore these STi7 & STi8 are unofficial names.
If FHI had continued using this naming system, then the MY03 STi will be version 9.
Old 27 November 2002, 07:57 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Strictly speaking, the STi UK & STi Prodrive (& all export spec STi) belong to MY02, therefore they're unofficially STi8.
STi7 was never officially sold in UK.
Old 27 November 2002, 10:03 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

There is actually no official version number for the STi's (Info from a very respectable source btw ).
The car is refered to as an STi, the number isnt official in that term, either for variant or version (ie what is referred to as the STi8 is acutally just an STi).

Tony
Old 27 November 2002, 10:24 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

That's for the New Age only, the classic GC8 has official versions (apart from STi 1, which is just called 'STi').
Old 27 November 2002, 11:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had the same discussion, i was corrected by someone in the know who works for a BIG company that tunes Subaru's for rallying
Its just an STi, trust me old and new versions

Tony
Old 27 November 2002, 03:35 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The old GC8 definitely has versions, or else they wouldn't have put it in the Japanese brochures & their Japanese website (the New Age has neither). Also, FHI calls the old one STi Ver. II/III/IV/V/VI, the word 'Version' is always 'Ver.' (as an abbreviation) & the numbers are Roman numerals.

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/product/impreza/list.html
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/product/impreza/index.html

Just look in the STi webssite, & u'll know.
Old 27 November 2002, 03:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

The reasoning behind it is that you have to differenciate(?) between MY's, its easier to call it a version as people recognise that better but as i have stated, the info i got was from a Subaru Rally Tuning/building/mapping etc etc company who do tuning parts for our beloved Impreza etc and are based in Banbury and Warwick (big hint there and they should know )
Its just an STi.

Tony
Old 27 November 2002, 07:59 PM
Knight Rider
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought that the UK STi was reffered to as the STi Euro Spec by the FHI.

What is basicly the difference between the MY01 STi and the MY02 STi (the JDM versions, the Euro Spec was only available as MY02)?
Old 27 November 2002, 08:04 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Officially they stopped at 6 the MY00 there is no STI version 7 .
Old 28 November 2002, 03:05 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ok guys, thanks for clearing that up. So, as i understand it, All imprezas up to the MY00 were unofficially referred to as Version X. The very minimal differences between the MY01 and MY02 STis and the fact that the U.K only got the MY02 STi are the reasons that they are called the STi7. So officially, the new STi should be referred to as the MY03 STi. Well now i comprendé. Cheers guys.

TheScooby

[Edited by TheScooby - 11/28/2002 3:06:34 AM]
Old 28 November 2002, 07:30 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Official versions are up to Version VI (i.e. the end of GC8 series). The reason why Prodrive did not care abt versions is cos they're dealing with car preparation that has to conform with homologation papers, & FHI did not homologate a new car every year (as opposed to Mitsubishi). Hence Prodrive is only dealing with a single STi. Remember, Prodrive handles car preparation, rather than car production, so they are only dealing with the homologated parts/cars rather than the multitude of spec combinations that FHI has to handle. In a nutshell, a STi is a STi to Prodrive, no versions cos they only concern homologated cars/parts.
To FHI, it is different, they have to find a way to differentiate between the model years & spec changes, hence the versions. All these versions are official to FHI & the general car buying public (not to Prodrive cos they don't really deal with the public & road cars). Honestly, what more can be more official than different model codes & officially printed brochures that describes the different versions?
For the New Age (i.e. MY01), a STi is a STi, no official versions at all. The main difference between MY01 & MY02 STi is a restyled front grill. It's very subtle. STi7 seems to be an unofficial name called by Europeans, cos nobody in Asia or Japan calls it by that name (unlike the GC8 series).