Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On a serious note........

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2001, 06:01 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok....Ok I know i'm not famed for inteligent thought provoking posts so I won't dissapoint u
I need to change me tyres.
I had decided upon S-02 after reading favourable reports about them on Scoobynet....alas they are no more Tyres of Northampton have given me four possibilities to look at (but I have no experience of them and can't even remember some of their names). I know the S-03's were in there plus a set of Yokohama something or others. Toyo proxis and Michelin cup I think were the other two (but not sure) can anyone recommend a tyre that is soft compound, like S-02's, but more progressive in loss of grip department. My Potenza RE040 were (before I shagged 'em) very grippy but went from lots of grip to sod all grip very suddenly.
Any opinions would be most welcome including Simon D B
Cheers
Steve
Old 07 October 2001, 07:15 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My experience is on 17" but the S03s are not a patch on the Toyos, not had S02s so can't say how they compare.
Toyos are very soft, and progressive, grip levels aren't that high, well not until the edges are slick, then lots of dry weather grip, and sliding in the wet
Old 07 October 2001, 08:21 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I run 18" Toyo T1-S proxes I have done about 500 miles on them and I think they are superb. I think you will find SDB recommends Toyos due to the progressive break away feel. After I had the geometry done the turn in and grip is impressive. I have never run anything other than 16" RE010 which are not the best and 17" Pirelli p-zeros which were pretty good but not really a patch on the Toyos.

cheers

chrisp
Old 07 October 2001, 08:28 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Did`nt someone do a web page a while back reguarding different tires and how they performed?
Old 07 October 2001, 08:33 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Steve
I just got 16" SO2's a couple of weeks back from Micheldever So they may still be available
Old 07 October 2001, 09:00 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I run the Goodyear F1's (GS D2, the V groove ones) in 17" and I have been very impressed by them. Very predictable, plenty of grip, soft, but not as soft as SO2's, and so far I have been impressed. Also found they were very cheap (215/40/17, 4 for £303 all in).

Toyos are meant to be very good, but they were very dear when I looked.
I have never liked any Michelin Tyres, always found them too hard, but believe they do a cut slick type tyre now which is very good in the dry.
Yoko AVS very impressive on a an EVO I drove.

You could try and find the back copy of Autocar's tyre tests, that might aid you.

SO4's on the way too apparently, due to be a real replacement for SO2's, might be worth finding out when they are due out.

Jon
Old 08 October 2001, 01:43 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I would advise against going for Toyo's for our cars. Althogh the Scoobs and the Evo's would be fun in harder compound tyres, I would be afraid to use that kind on a rear biased car such as the Skyline.

I would be interested to see how the new Yokohama's would perform now that the Evo 7's come equipped with them from standard. Don't forget we're talking 18" tyres here.

Cem
Old 08 October 2001, 09:57 AM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem
The Toyo's are a harder compound then! I didn't know that.
Both the Toyo's and Yokohama's were recommended by TN. The Yoko AVS seem to get good press but are they soft enough?
18" 245/40 are a bit of an odd size it seems which limits choice, but with power oversteer a consistent companion (400 odd bhp) I must confess I would prefer the soft option
Keep em coming lads
Cheers for the info so far
BTW Cem have you got the OEM Potenza's on your skyline. If so how do you find them?
They work pretty well on track, ie. when they do go you have plenty of room to stage the iminent slide I don't rate them to highly on the road. I presume it's because they don't get up to optimum temp easily. I find they tend to lull you in to false sense of security and then let go big time. I have had numerous "moments" in the last 18 months especially since gaining proper power
Cheers
Steve

Old 08 October 2001, 10:11 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hey Steve,

Yup, Toyo's are hard compound. Along with Continental Contisports, although they are fantastic in the dry seasons (they last ages too which makes them awesome track tyres) they are quite a handful in the wet. Now that winter is here I would try to get a softer compound.

Mine were changed for S02's straight away. Fantastic tyres that inspire confidence in the wet. I would never push the car hard enough on the road to reach its limits of grip, so for me they're ace.

I'm just worried that they would only last a few laps on a trackday.

Cem
Old 08 October 2001, 12:27 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

the Toyos' are £80 for a 215 45 17, dont pay more. I have seen F1's for £75