Sponsored by:

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 09:51 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Got an annoying intermittent fault with my clutch pedal. Occasionally (about 5-6 times on 4 mile journey) as you press the clutch pedal down, you can hear a loud click and feel it through the pedal and foot, almost as if something is catching.

I've checked for obvious things such as the mat, and can see nothing untoward around the clutch pedal mounting bits.

This is beginning to get annoying and a little unnerving. I've been to the dealer with it twice, once on service (sept), once last week. All they did was grease it up and give me it back. Within a day, it was back to its old tricks. I'm heading down there again tomorrow to see if they can sort it. With it being somewhat intermittent, may be hard to trace. I'm going to try and take someone out in it so they can hear and experience it.

Anybody experienced this or any ideas what it might be so that I can suggest it to them?

I'm down TSL on the 5th, but would like to get it sorted under warranty for free at the main dealer (no disrespect TSL folks, but you are getting plenty of my hard-earned already )

Slightly miffed
Old 02 October 2001, 09:59 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Question

Might be wrong but could be the ratchet wearing out! if these work on the same principle as most cars?
Old 02 October 2001, 10:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this about a month ago (at 18,000 miles) - its now vanished.

I assume that it is the pedal just 'on-the-rachet' of adjustment.

I may be wrong but my click has gone

Pete
Old 02 October 2001, 10:25 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm, not sure I want to persevere with this problem and hope it disappears.....

It feels like something is catching and hence will be wearing something away, which to me ain't good. Car's only done about 8.5k and this started about 2-3 moths ago, coming and going as it pleased (normally going when it was at the dealers ).

Just want them to be able to reproduce it or have an idea what to look for, instead of just greasing it up, which now hasn't worked twice.

I'm not going to be happy until I'm told what the problem was and they say they've fixed it. Don't want to drive the Scoob thinking 'is it going to click this time'.

Thanks for the responses folks
Old 03 October 2001, 12:44 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Don't these cars have hydraulic clutches? If they do, do they still have a ratchet? Sounds like Pete Lewis is right though if it is a ratchet. When it happens again, don't let it up just push on it real hard and the rathet should move to the next knotch and you won't here it again for a few thousand.
Old 03 October 2001, 08:15 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Typical, pedal didn't play up at all this morning

Still, ringing the dealer today to hopefully get them to look at it this afternoon. At least its only the <B>third</B> time I will have mentioned it to them

Will post any outcomes in case there is a solution to this bleedin annoying problem
Old 03 October 2001, 09:53 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Hanslow,

I have the very same prob - you are not alone!

Mines a MY99 with nearly 11k on the clock, I've had it for a couple of months and its done it pretty regularly during that time.

Have looked around the pedal and can't see anything obviously wrong.

Please let me know the outcome of your dealer visit...

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2001, 09:59 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Will do mate

I'm in Notts too so if the dealer finds it, I'll let you know what it was and where they are and you can go in and get yours sorted too (if its the same problem)
Old 03 October 2001, 11:00 AM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

I too have this problem(MY99).Will watch this space with interest.Have tried loosening the bolt on the pedal but am scared of loosening it too much!.

Peter Stone

Old 03 October 2001, 02:20 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right, back from the dealers.

Service bloke comes out to check pedal, push once, fine, push again, fine, push again....<B>CLICK!!</B> hurrah!

Has a look and play around and believes it to be the bushes and/or the big spring that bounces the pedal back.

They are ordering me in some new bushes and spring and will give me a call when they are in so that I can get my car in there for it to be changed. The guy sounded quite convinced that that was what it was, and that on the whole, I shouldn't need to worry about the clicking.

I will let you know what happens when this stuff gets replaced. Will probably be next week sometime (I was told).

FYI the dealer is Beechdale in Nottingham and on the whole they have looked after me very well
Old 03 October 2001, 03:48 PM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hanslow - will wait to see if you become clicky-clutch-less....
Old 03 October 2001, 04:46 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Hanslow

I had/have a similar problem. The dealer replaced bushes, but it still does it occasionally - admittedly not as often as before though.

Peter
Old 03 October 2001, 07:42 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hmmmm, well I'll just get the wonderful chaps at TSL to give me a second opinion on Friday then before it's back at the dealers

It never did it when I first got it, so surely it can go back to not doing it again

Don't want this to turn into another <I>they all do that sir</I> like the good old clutch judder.....

I'm still optimistic
Old 07 October 2001, 11:21 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lo Steve

I had the same click when pressing the clutch last month. It appears to have stopped now.
Still get the creaking when hot though

Pete
Old 08 October 2001, 08:03 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bleedin' 'ell Thought you'd disappeared off the planet

Mine should be in the dealer sometime this week, they are ringing me when the parts are in. Also got to get my rear near-side shock changed cos it ain't doing it's job properly

Hoping they ring me earlier rather than later, so that I remember to post results here
Old 17 October 2001, 05:36 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

Back from the dealers today (Beechdale in Notts).

Firstly, would like to say top service chaps

My clutch pedal feels a lot smoother having had the bushes and spring replaced. Not sure on the clicking yet, haven't experienced it on the way home, but I will keep monitoring it to see if it comes back. They seem quite sure it will have gone away now. Fingers crossed.

Also fixed my knackered shock absorber under warranty and replaced wheel with negative camber after having my geometry set up at TSL 2 weeks previous.

Top job, and I will let you know if I get the click back, but it feels promising!

Had a MY01 1.6 Wagon as courtesy car. Steering is SO light My MY00 felt like a tank when I got back in it