Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which upgrades for £1500? (Posted by ZJS)

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 12:15 AM
zjs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

First time on the board!

Quick question to those 'in the know'. If you had £1500 to spend on upgrading a standard Impreza Turbo (S reg), what would you spend it on?

I was thinking of a full Scoobymania Exhaust System, uprated brembo discs, and a Ram pod.

Any thoughts?

Zak
Old 24 September 2001, 12:49 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Zap,

welcome to our world!

Brakes is probably the best way to go.
The quickest way to go faster is to stop quicker! To get full AP/Prodrive kits you will be looking at £1500ish. You will also need these if you plan track days.

With another £300 a down pipe is a good mod, it will increase your torque, bhp and sound great.

Induction kits are not a recommended mod on UK cars, however you will get different opinions from lots of different people. A panel filter should do a good enough job.

Any way good luck!
Old 24 September 2001, 01:39 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Plantie, his name is Zak not Zap you muppet, what did they put in your Fish and Chips yesterday!!!

Plantie is spot on with the brakes though, definately a must before you up the power, you may want to consider suspension after that, check the suspension forum for recommendations.

After that the worlds your oyster, full decat does the job exhaust wise, but the best mod is to wind your rear windows down and enjoy the noise!!!
Old 24 September 2001, 01:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

zak, if you arent going on the track, I dont think it is really necessary to change your brakes. You could get the scoobysport disc replacement, or I think either hi spek or godspeed, do a disk replacement which moves your calipers further out and puts a larger disk in.

Either way, it is less than £1500.

From there, driver tuition, and a full stainless exhaust, any will do except HKS which has a dodgy downpipe.

I have tried BPM, scoobysport and scoobymania. I think my next port of call for an exhaust will be New Age Motorsport.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:43 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Planty, why is an induction kit not a good idea for a UK car? Loads of people run them without problems.

Dan
Old 24 September 2001, 01:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Zak,

I think the biggest gains on a standard UK model can be had by some fairly low cost handling mods:

1. Powerstation Bump Steer Mod + 4 Wheel alignment (£117)
2. Eibach springs (£130)
3. MTR Anti-Lift Kit (£150)
4. Possibly uprated Anti-Roll bars, links and bushes (approx £300 the lot)
5. Scoobysport Exhaust (£not sure)

That lot should make a real VFM improvement...

Matt
Old 24 September 2001, 04:00 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Zak,

I would say the exhaust first, as not only does it improve performance, but makes the car sound superb

Then maybe bump steer as my namesake suggested (haven't got it personally but understand it is good).

Also, air filter/induction kit - again supposedly improves performance of car and induction kits sound good.

Then if you've got anything left, go for the brakes.

Alternatively, spend the money on "tarty" things - pink badges, clear indicators etc etc. (before I get flamed that's what I did!!)

Matt
Old 24 September 2001, 04:45 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Question

Matt(Mutant!!)

Whats that anti lift jobbie you mentioned?

Cheers
Neil
Old 24 September 2001, 05:51 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

If its a standard UK car speak to your local dealer and get a Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) fitted for very little over 1.5K.
Old 24 September 2001, 05:57 PM
zjs
Scooby Regular

Question

What exactly is in the Prodrive Performance Pack?
Old 24 September 2001, 06:06 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Besides being a major ripoff you get a strange hissing backbox ( ), an ECU that's not really tailored for your car...blablabla.

IMHO, forget about the power, go for roadholding and brakes.

/J
Old 24 September 2001, 06:58 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by zjs:
<B>What exactly is in the Prodrive Performance Pack?[/quote]

Back Box, ECU and intercooler piping. Gets you around 20% more torque and 10% bhp. Its made by Prodrive for Subaru and does not effect your warranty if there is any left.

You can spend about the same on a Link Ecu, SS back box which is tuned to your car and if you are going to modify the car further would be the best way to go.

Edited to add.....

Be warned, as soon as you upgrade the engine you will want to upgrade the brakes and handling!

[This message has been edited by orbv (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 08:31 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Question

At a risk of sounding stupid (it always seems to be me asking the muppet questions!) what is the Bump Steer Mod and what does it do?

Cheers
Matt
Old 24 September 2001, 08:54 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

It's something Powerstation has come up with.

IIRC all scoobs have a tendency to understeer built into them, when the outer front wheel gets loaded up it starts to point out, the more the strut compresses - the more the outer wheel starts to point outwards (the exact opposite thing happens to the inner wheel) resulting in an understeering feeling.

What PS does is to align the steering control arm thingama.jig with the lower suspension arm, so that they'll follow the same radius.

They lower the steering rack, the trick is to get it right, and to be able to measure the "bumpsteer".

/J
Old 24 September 2001, 09:04 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Zak, you already know what I think.

Scoobyjawa

ALK is a kit which alters the mounting point of the front lower wishbones to give different geometry at the front, this reduces rear end squat under power and gives a more stable platform, also less dive under hard braking.

For more info and pictures see
Old 24 September 2001, 09:11 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

It'd be awfully interesting to know just how much the rack has to be lowered, and if it's the same distance on all scoobs...

/J
Old 24 September 2001, 09:20 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SecretAgentMan:
<B>It'd be awfully interesting to know just how much the rack has to be lowered, and if it's the same distance on all scoobs...

/J[/quote]

I understand that all Scoobs are different, and Powerstation have different sized shims to fit. Since each car is set up individually, it strikes me as blueprinting your steering geometry - which can only be a good thing. Haven't had it done yet, but the missus and I are planning a weekend in Cheltenham, so I'll be there.

Oh, my MY99 is unmodified too, Zak. I'm thinking, in this order, of:
1. Bump steer mod
2. Exhaust (for the noise)
3. Bigger rear spoiler (mine's a wagon)
4. 17" wheels

Later, possibly something to liberate more power, along with brakes and suspension, but haven't thought about that yet.
Old 24 September 2001, 09:44 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ahh ha, it all becomes clearer now. Thanks for setting me straight.

I can see it now. All of a sudden me and the girlfriend are taking more breaks away purely by chance these happen to coincidentally be places with a Subaru tuning place, we don't use the car for a day, we get slightly quicker home quicker, and She dicovers we spent more than She thought :-)

Matt
Old 25 September 2001, 12:38 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by zjs:
<B>But I heard that getting the exhaust system upgraded is a pain in the **** as you have to have the CAT added back whenever you have the MOT done otherwise it'll fail.

Is that not correct?

Zak[/quote]

The cat's in the downpipe close to the engine - I'm only going to change the backbox (after the cat anyway) so no difference (except the noise ) Oh, and it might liberate a couple of BHP but I don't really care - like to enjoy the couple of hundred I've already got with a fruitier noise
Old 25 September 2001, 12:39 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<B>But I heard that getting the exhaust system upgraded is a pain in the **** as you have to have the CAT added back whenever you have the MOT done otherwise it'll fail.

Is that not correct?[/quote]

Zak,

Yes and no - depending on what exhaust components you go for. Do a search in Drivetrain with the words BackBox and Exhaust and read the reams (or should that be files ) of information therein....

Matt
Old 25 September 2001, 09:02 AM
zjs
Scooby Regular

Question

But I heard that getting the exhaust system upgraded is a pain in the **** as you have to have the CAT added back whenever you have the MOT done otherwise it'll fail.

Is that not correct?

Zak