Sponsored by:

Advice on a 22B

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 10:05 AM
rodneyj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

having sold my P1 about 1 year ago, I have kept an eye on this board and the quality of the content has encouraged me to get back into a scooby.

I currently have an Audi RS4 and have been called by a contact at a dealership to say they have a UK 22B for sale.

I remember reading that the P1 was a better road car although the 22B takes the prize for looks and styling.

Does anyone have any experience of these in terms of drive, reliability, depreciation.

Thanks
Rod
Old 24 September 2001, 10:29 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Depreciation

does exist but much lower than any other impreza. I am sure they are soon ending up with there permanent owners so they arent gonna be available.

Suspension

on the road the suspension is hard, but I dont believe this crap about the P1 being a better car on uk roads. If it bothers you then buy P1 suspension and fit it (not very expensive).

Handling and Grip

The 22B has a wider track feels more stable, has better grip, and has a quick rack, the P1 steering is not even close in feel to the 22B. The 22B has the electronic centre diff, making it feel a bit rear wheel driving, it also has a different rear diff, the same as all other type rs but not P1s, Simon De Banke would be a better person to ask about the merits of this diff over the 4 door type.

Brakes

One downside is a lack of ABS, you have to put up with that. The 22B like other type rs does have twin pot rears rather than sliding calipers like the P1.

Lookwise there is no contest.

Performance

In terms of performance, the 2.2 litre makes an enornmous difference in low down torque.
Personally I prefer the japanese gearing to the UK gearing, it makes the car much more manic, and makes it pull in every gear. It has a bigger Vf 23 turbo than the P1s VF28. the P1 intercooler is better, but if such things bother you, you can change them for little money in relation to the ptice difference.

In terms of point to point, I cant imagine it would be the best impreza. For that I would go for an RA. Or better yet an evo 7. This being the most capable car I have ever driven.

The 22B always feels like it is sitting on top of the road, whereas the evo felt keyed into it.

Saying that after stepping out of a P1 testdrive, the 22B feels much more live and exciting. To me the P1 felt numb by comparison.

costs

Be prepared for some serious money though if things go wrong body work wise. Minor incidents (such as women reversing in to you in shopping mall carparks ) arent cheap.

The thing is you should only buy it cos you love it. As a car it is flawed. It will bite you more than the P1 will if you miss treat it, or behave strangely mid bend, and it is more rear wheel drive in nature than any other impreza I have driven.

My insurance is cheaper than it would be on a P1 and that is on an import which is modified, and much quicker and more expensive than the P1
I hope this doesnt offend anyone, I knwo people are proud of their cars, but had I been impressed in any way shape or form, I may have considered the change.

Incidentally the best bit for me, was when I pulled up for the test drive in the P1, and Parked the 22B right next to it.

The salesman, stood right in line with the bonnet of the P1 and said "It's a bit special really isn't it!"

I hope this helps.

If you have any specific questions.

Ask chuck.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 10:50 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Arrow

It's <I>not as <B>fast</B></I> as the Impreza....
Old 24 September 2001, 11:30 AM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Adam you are dead right mate the evo7 is way ahead of them all in all round ability, i sold my brand new P1 for the pleasure of owning one and don't regret it one bit.
GET AN EVO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
J

until you know you will never know, but when you know you will know.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:08 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Adam,
Was the salesperson referring to the 22B or the P1??
Just curious!
Jason,
I agree that the Evo7 is shatteringly (is that a real word!?) good as an all rounder, and is a car that I love driving as a relaxing crouser, but it's miles behind the 22B as a (thrill a minute) driving machine.
It takes all of the elements that we enjoy about driving - Sound, seat of the pants involvement, violent acceleration, tremendous grip and handling, constantly having to work up and down a short change gearbox, not to mention the fact that it makes you feel good because it looks sooo damn special.
The 22B 'IS' special. It amplifies what we all enjoy about driving.
The Evo7, although I love it to bits, is too civilised.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:20 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Paul, he was talking about the P1! thats why I thought it was funny.

He must surely have been trying damned hard to get a sale, because that was an outrght lie.

Old 24 September 2001, 01:36 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Hello Adam,
I was a little concerned that you were going to say that!!
That's not because the P1 isn't attractive as a car, because it is. Pretty horny in fact.
But did he have dog and a white stick?

If you need any body parts by the way, I've got a front offside wing, both rears, a back bumper and both side sills. We 'grey guys' need to stick together .
Paul.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I thought you were leaving the fold?

Oddly enough, after my incident with the woman in the car park (or rather her incident) my front bumper is being operated on by a boat yard.

It has been under the knife for two weeks now.

Apparemtly the damaged section will be over four times stronger afterwards. I am thinking about taking a hammer to it, and having the whole body made stronger

shame you didnt get the one part I need, but keep that info quiet anyhoo. In london, the way other people drive, I may well need some panels in the future.

Old 24 September 2001, 04:09 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've had a type UK for a year and a half and 18k miles. If you are looking to buy one make sure it has the APRacing clutch (available through Subaru UK) as the excedy is a piece of pooh! Also make sure you get the extended warranty, should therefore be under full warranty for another 2.5 years from now - which is nice as 22B's seem to be fairly fragile, I've had 'a few' warranty claims so far , but all have been sorted out to my satisfaction. Parts turn up at the dealer next day, which is pretty damn nice.
I haven't driven it in a week and a half now, which means I'd sell it for any reasonable bid right now, but that'll change as soon as I take it out again I expect, I just lurve driving it.
I've recently been bid (by a dealer) 81pct of what I paid for it originally, seems pretty good depreciation to me!
It certainly isn't the ultimate B road blaster as standard, the suspension and cost of repairs are limiting factors, but it's a pretty damn fine car.
The dealer isn't Listers is it? They seem to have had a hand in the sale of almost all the Type UK's (mine excepted ), maybe I shoudl give them a call......
Regards
Chuck
Old 24 September 2001, 05:02 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Adam,
Autosportif produce a VERY good replica front bumper I believe should it not look right when its been fettled.
Leaving the fold.....I don't know if I could 'actually' let it go! It really is a special machine. The only down side is the mileage I do. I'll have to retire the old girl if I keep her and just have a play at weekends.
On a different subject altogether, I was at Powerstation two weeks ago having the Anti-Lift fitted & my geometry checked again, one of the chaps thought that your car was Number 280/400. Is it?
Old 24 September 2001, 09:22 PM
General Panic
Scooby Newbie

Cool