Sponsored by:

Optimax and octane booster??

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2001, 02:36 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Now that somewhere actually sells Optimax near me, just wondering if those who were running on SUL and booster, have now gone for Optimax and booster?

I can't see it can do any harm, surely the higher the better - right or wrong?

Running a uk car with full scoobysport system and KnN.

(edited coz I just saw a similar question for a WRX)

[This message has been edited by Matt Churchill (edited 23 September 2001).]
Old 23 September 2001, 04:06 PM
Scooby_Killer
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt

Optimax is sold at shell garages,also the octane rating on Optimax is 98 ron, which is better tha super plus unleaed, which is 97 ron!! so if you have an import one, it runs on a 100 ron! in japan, so becare full when thrashing you import allways make sure you have good quality fuel, other wise you engine will detinate!! at top speed!!!
Old 23 September 2001, 07:40 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I ran my Civic Type R (Should use 100ron), on optimax for one month and it did not feel any better, if anything it felt worse.

Im sticking with SUL for now.

I plonked some Millers with Optimax in at Silverstone, seemed fine but only did 400 miles on them both so it would be unfair of me to judge. Went well thou.
Old 24 September 2001, 12:01 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Neal, nope, the higher the RON the better - UK Spec MY00 SUL & Octane Booster
Old 24 September 2001, 12:17 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cheers Robertio

Neal
Old 24 September 2001, 08:32 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

An Engine builder of high quality has tested a engine mapped on SUL and then on OPTIMAX.

No Gains what so ever it mapps pretty much exactly the same..No more advance could be added and didn't make any more power.

I think i will be sticking with the SUL. As there is no real reason to change.

But add some NF
Old 24 September 2001, 09:15 AM
Lushman
Scooby Regular

I have been using Shell Optimax and there is a slight diference, but the only thing I seem to really notice that my fuel economy has gotten worse. Anybody else experience this?
Old 24 September 2001, 09:59 AM
detheridge02
Scooby Regular

Just started using Optimax last week in my MY97 WRX. Reset the ECU at the weekend and she drives a lot smoother, definately a lot less harsh on initial use of the accelerator (used to jump a bit). Economy wise I've noticed a slight improvement (maybe only 20 - 50 miles on a full tank). I'll keep using it :-)
Old 24 September 2001, 10:03 AM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi all,

I'm running Optimax with booster - initially with NF, currently using Millers Octane Plus. This is in a MY94 STI V1 car, jap import.

Optimax seems to make the car run smoother, especially at idle, and 'appears' to pull slightly harder - could be in my mind, though ! As it's 2p litre cheaper than my usual BP SUL, and in theory it's closer to the 100 RON rating my car needs, I'll probably stick with it.

Fuel economy seems variable - sometimes it's better than SUL, sometimes worse. I've also noticed that the fuel seems really 'potent' when first filled up, but then goes 'off'. Curious ....

[This message has been edited by paulhoubart (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 11:26 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh well, put my first tank full in this morning. Will have to see what happens to fuel economy and performance in the coming weeks, after giving my ECU time to reset itself.

As far as cost is concerned, it is onyl the same as "normal" SUL, and in fact cheaper than a couple locally, so that isn't a concern for me.

Will be interesting to see if it has stopped pinking at top end I experienced last time I was at Powerstation, maybe I'll pop along in a few weeks.

Matt
Old 24 September 2001, 11:53 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Just a thought????

Using 95 RON UL in a Jap import can cause detonation problems as it should run on SUL.

Could using Optimax (98 RON) in a standard UK turbo designed to run on 95 RON cause any problems ????

Neal
Old 24 September 2001, 11:57 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lushman:
<B>I have been using Shell Optimax and there is a slight diference, but the only thing I seem to really notice that my fuel economy has gotten worse. Anybody else experience this?[/quote]

Yup! The stuff's rocket fuel in my Sti5, but you're right, it doesn't go far! Economy has dropped about 10% after 4-5 tankfuls.

Is yours an import? (ie wants 100RON)

Russ
Old 24 September 2001, 01:59 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have been running the Trouser Express (94 WRX with trick or two ) on Optimax.. , then Optimax and Pro- Boost.....

Words cannot describe the difference, (without resorting to extremely non-PC references.. ... not the job on a respectable bbs )... I for one, will use no other whenever possible!

Cheers

trouser
Old 24 September 2001, 03:36 PM
Lushman
Scooby Regular

Yes Russ, mine is an import (95 WRX) and used to have poor MPG now it's even worse. I am losing about 30-50 miles per Tank.
Old 24 September 2001, 03:45 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lushman:
<B>I have been using Shell Optimax and there is a slight diference, but the only thing I seem to really notice that my fuel economy has gotten worse. Anybody else experience this?[/quote]

Me too...... I thought maybe I was just imagining it ..but my fuel goes much much quicker........

Old 24 September 2001, 07:40 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

This is curious, I spoke to a chap at Buncefield oil depot in Hemel. They fill all flavours there, BP, Murco, Tesco etc. They put different RON into different tanks, of course, but the fuel is the same!!!!! The change is in the addative which is added by pushing a button on the delivery system, so BP would get it's mix, on fill-up. It has been know for the driver of the tanker to forget the addative and just have the ordinary fuel.....

So is it really different? or just 98 RON with some clever marketing to hoodwink the susseptable?

Flamesuit on.

F
Old 24 September 2001, 07:49 PM
Billabong
Scooby Regular

I think Optimax is refined differently and apparently only comes from a Shell depot up in Cheshire. I don't beleive it's a case of just 'adding RON' (at least for Optimax)

Qoute from Shell.co.uk:

"Optimax is manufactured exclusively at the Shell refinery at Ellesmere Port in Cheshire, which means that to begin with it will not be widely available in the south west of England or South Wales, or in Scotland. However our plans are well developed for making Shell Optimax available in those areas just as soon as we can in 2002."