Sponsored by:

Prodrive performance pack

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 07:52 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've had the PPP fitted.IMHO it's great, superb mid range punch especially. Big difference over standard.
There are other options out there, as have been mentioned, probably alot cheaper as well.
But IMHO trust the boys who know Subaru better than anyone PRODRIVE!!!
PS CO55ie, Martin was asking for constructive comments with real experience. As you haven't got either why do you bother hi jacking other peoples threads and insert your uneducated drivel to what was up until your comments an informative thread???
Are you just trying to be a wind up merchant?

[Edited by Rasher - 11/2/2002 7:59:21 PM]
Old 11 February 2002, 11:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VF23 £445 delivered from New Zealand + import duty (WREXY did this - think it was Diesel Performance, NZ)
Full decat, Dawes, springs £600 inc VAT from performanceexhausts.net
Fuel pump £130 from lateralperformance.co.uk
Bumpsteer/geom £100 at Powerstation
Pads £100
Goodridge hoses £50-60

Leaves about £400-500 for labour. Personally I would have no worries about buying a used stainless steel exhaust system for less either. Just one way to do it.... yes I have put the absolute minimum star value for money stuff on it and have not included an ECU, but it works and works OK.

[Edited by john banks - 11/2/2002 11:13:26 PM]
Old 02 November 2002, 05:07 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I have a totally standard 99 UK turbo and was thinking of getting the prodrive performance pack fitted. I have read as much as I can about it, but was wondering if I could get any feedback from people with real experience, does it make a big difference? have you been happy with the results etc Any replies, advice or comments would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.
Old 02 November 2002, 05:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I personally (I stress just IMO) found that the prodrive performance pack made the car feel slower. Now that wasn't actually the case - it was faster - but also smoother which took away a bit of the kick (hence feels slower). There have been many PPP threads and I'd say the general opinion is that it is great where you wish to retain you warranty but if that's already gone (as yours might given that its an MY99) then you can get more power (but still reliable) for the same or less money.

Whilst I've not compared my MY99 would probalby be usefully quicker than a PPP and it cost far less:

Full scoobysport exhaust and a TEK2.5 with a dawes to control the boost (not really needed though)
Old 02 November 2002, 05:26 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

I had the PPP fitted to my MY99 last month and, IMO, it's great. I'd extended the warranty so went this route instead of a TEK. The biggest difference is the torque, not so much the 0-60. It pulls so much better now and it defintely has not lost it's urgency.....

If you want to keep the warranty it's the only way to go but it is bloody expensive. I've decided I'm going to keep mine so this was a worthwhile mod.........

Cheers
Neil
Old 02 November 2002, 05:31 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

2k for an off the shelf chip and a rubbish exhaust and crap air filter they must be laughing all the way to the bank. Not worth the cash for the tiny improvement if you ask me Scoob's are allways going to be slow no matter what you do to them so why waste you money ?
You know your engines going to blow soon anyway.
Old 02 November 2002, 05:36 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, right. Whatever...........
Old 02 November 2002, 05:40 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

so jonesy you believe that on off the shelf chip and backbox is worth 2k do you more like £350 quid absolute top wack.
Old 02 November 2002, 05:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Right cossie! As you know I'm not the biggest fan of your favourite marque and I've listened to you go on and on about how tuneable they are, etc and how scoobys aren't.

However, I'm sitting here with a copy of the new Fast Ford and I'm wondering where you get this from!! Classic scooby's come with 215bhp as standard and can with a decent exhaust and a remap reach 270-300bhp. With an upgraded intercooler and turbo, 350bhp is attainable without any other serious modifications. That's a fair increase IMO considering the main guts of the engine remain standard.

So here I am reading Fast Ford and expecting to read about 400-500bhp cossies with little more than a bigger turbo, fuel pump, etc....but NO!!

Page 13, RS500 thingy with 504bhp and look at the engine spec:

Harvey Gibbs-built Cosworth UB, 200 block, touring car-spec head, SCS cams, lsky valve springs, long stud kit, WRC head gasket, balanced crank and rods, 7.2:1 comp ratio, modified pisons, eight 803 injectors, T4 Garrett turbo with 360 degree thrust bearing, eight injector Bayjo ECU, GGR boost silcon hoses, Group A alloy breather kit, Spec R header tank, swirl pot, Piper vernier cam pulleys, cone filter and a few other non-relevant bits and bobs.

All that for just 504bhp!!! I thought your whole point was that this kind of power was easy to achieve...how much of this engine is actually standard???? I'd expect a similarly specced scooby wouldn't be shy of its ponies either.

Explain please

Politely please
Old 02 November 2002, 06:04 PM
Andy-P
Scooby Regular

Look at the dyno shoot outs though........ how many 500 bhp Cossies do you see on there (not that I buy Fast Ford right enough).

Not many('nuff said).

IMO, usually overestimated optimistic figures claimed by their owners.

[Edited by Andy-P - 11/2/2002 6:09:43 PM]
Old 02 November 2002, 08:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

PS CO55ie, Martin was asking for constructive comments with real experience. As you haven't got either why do you bother hi jacking other peoples threads and insert your uneducated drivel to what was up until your comments an informative thread???
Are you just trying to be a wind up merchant?
So true mate!! Note how cossie seems to have gone all quiet for once?? Maybe these jap tin-pots aren't so bad after all
Old 02 November 2002, 08:14 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I've just had it fitted on my MY00 and am extremely happy indeed. Car has a lot more torque and much smoother, even at idle. Every day driving is much improved aswell. Very happy indeed. Also extended my warranty aswell.

I would recommend it.

Otis.
Old 02 November 2002, 08:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Might be an idea to try and source someone local (scoobynet could help here) and see if there is anyone with a PPP and someone with some of the other tuning options. That way you could maybe get an idea for what is available for the sort of money your looking to spend
Old 02 November 2002, 08:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The other good thing is that there is quite a good market for second hand PPP parts so if after driving it for a while you decide you want to change parts or even all of it there are usually a number of peeps looking to buy.
Old 02 November 2002, 08:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have PPP on my MY00 and it stayed on in unmodified form for about 3 months, and I sold it within 6 months at a big loss. It is great if you have an extended warranty.

For the same money you could go for a full exhaust system, upgraded turbo, fuel pump and boost controller and get four times the power increase (300+ BHP vs 237 BHP from original 215 BHP). You would still have enough, if you shopped carefully, left over to fit springs, do the geometry/bumpsteer, fit some good brake pads and braided brake lines. But no warranty and rather more hassle arranging it all.

Note I don't sell any of these items, although I am biased.
Old 02 November 2002, 09:03 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

just had my 99 5 door done by prodrive two days ago, actually took it meself cos subaru dealer f****d up. prodrive were very helpful and looked after me, me missus and me lil un, got to see lots of projects, shown around the complex..its massive 250 plus acres...any way back to the prodrive, cost 1500 apporx ..jeeeess and i got the quick shift to. now im no expert or mechanic but, it sounds great..especially when you hit 6000+ revs really roars and the gear stick feels that tiny bit shorter.to me it feels alot qiucker. no delay in power, faster at the mid range and so far i havnt fully tested me o to 60 cos all the traffic seems to get in me way but yes it defo feels quicker. now maybe you can get more bhp etc out of ya scooby with other bolt ons but atleast this is through a recognised and approved company which wont make subaru kick you aout the workshop door if you have a problem !
however as i said on my own thread earlier i am having so idling probs now..stalling when low revs and stopped....hopefully its the MAF or sommit
Old 02 November 2002, 09:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I see your point John but I think you've overstretched your budget a little. Your example must assume for doing these works to the car yourself? I've spend a fair few £££'s getting stuff fitted for me and it would be even more if I was getting a big turbo, etc fitted up. Maybe I've not spent as much as I think but it certainly feels like it, hence the fear of getting a big blower.
Old 02 November 2002, 09:14 PM
Pauleds
Scooby Regular

Question

Chaps,
I have a 95UK wagon with upgraded interior/wheels etc.I also have a good quality aftermarket exhaust to put on it.
Can anyone tell me how much the PPP would be for my car and what benefits i would get.??
Paul.
Old 02 November 2002, 09:27 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,
The PPP will probably cost you around 1900 quid. For that you will get a new ecu, re routed oiler cooler ducting and a decat centre section exhaust and rear silencer(stainless steel).
As your car is around 208 Bhp as standard you can expect around a 30 Bhp increase overall, but it is the increase in the mid range that impresses.
If your car is out of warranty(as is probably the case) there are as Saxoboy explained lots of cheaper options that will yield more power/Bhp for alot less money. As I am not very knowledgeble on the different options I cannot advise but I am sure Saxoboy or someone will

[Edited by Rasher - 11/2/2002 9:29:01 PM]

[Edited by Rasher - 11/2/2002 9:30:57 PM]
Old 02 November 2002, 09:32 PM
Pauleds
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Rasher,
Are my other options as reliable as having the mods done by Prodrive?
Comments?
Old 02 November 2002, 10:16 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Is this a wind up?

I've just sold one of these kits a week ago. They're very good for second hand money and dealer friendly of course.

Note to self - promote PPP in general then sell PPP in for sale section, when enough interest is generated into a frenzy

F
Old 02 November 2002, 10:35 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm thinking of have a PPP fitted to my Sti7. I know you can get a lot more that 300hp that the ppp give you, but I don't want the hassle. Just plug and play. I could get an exhaust, boost controller, tek whatever. But i'd be constantly thinking "does this feel right, is this map correct" and i'd be constantly adjusting it... With the PPP, Prodrive have done all the testing and adjusting for you..

I have other things to think about rather than worring about my car.... just my opinion...

Gareth
Old 02 November 2002, 11:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I was still thinking about the rather costly remap to take full advantage of those other components. I guess the key to that one is who you know

I think the ultra-cautious can look no further than a full decat and TEK2.5 as the alternative. This can cost well under a grand and seems to be safe as houses. Whatsmore, if your ultra-super-cautious you could get the remap to your own supersafe specification.