Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Jap Import sti V7 v UK sti V7 standard...

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2002, 01:59 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on the verge of part-chopping my Jap import sti v3 for a Jap import MY01 sti V7. I know about all the pro's and con's of UK cars v Import cars but can anyone advise me on the differences in performance of a Jap import sti v7 and the Type UK sti v7?

I'm asking about ride, handling, power, torque, acceleration, and braking. I've briefly test driven them both but can't distinguish between the two. Am I a muppet or what...

Anyone have real experience of both cars?
Old 02 November 2002, 02:03 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

official difference 261 bhp vs 276bhp. Although the jap imports have been rumoured to be running wuite a bit more than that. I seem to remember that they are also running something like 21 or 22 psi boost at peak Evo mag reckpn the difference is 5.2 vs 4.8 0-60. Don't know if that helps at all?

Can anyone tell me why I haven't gone to bed yet?
Old 02 November 2002, 12:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

There are 2 types of JDM STi7's, the GL and the KL, you want the GL as it has the suretrac diffs, the KL does not.

Tony
Old 02 November 2002, 01:20 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The JDM cars are rumoured to be more than 276bhp but in reality, they are not. This figure is also quoted on 100RON fuel so in the real world, on the same fuel, there is very little in it between the two.

The brakes are the same and the suspension is slightly harder on the JDM but very little in it TBH and on the road, I think you'd have to drive them back to back to really notice the difference.

For the difference in cost, I don't think it's worth going for the JDM model as it can cost double to insure, and there are a decreasing number of brokers willing to cover them, and the depreciation on the JDM models seems to accelerating faster than the UK model.

Like the man said, if you do go for the JDM, make sure you get the one with the Suretrac diff up front as this is fantastic!!!

Hope this helps,

Matt

P.S. Just read your post again and it looks like you agree with me, the differences between the two are very small and hard to tell apart on the road....
Old 02 November 2002, 02:04 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. How will I know about the GL or KL version of the car without asking. Is there a switch in the cabin?

Also, I hear what you are saying about the depriciation and to an extent you are correct. But I don't want to get stung when the MY03 comes out as this will devalue the current UK sti V7 market anyway. My insurance company will change the vehicle for an additional £110 which has 11 months to run anyway on the current v3 sti. This will work out to be about £990 (Tesco) in total for 12 months cover.

Does anyone know if the gear ratios are similar and also the consumption figures if I run on optimax?
Old 03 November 2002, 05:23 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

U'll know whether it's KL or GL by looking at the VIN.
Old 03 November 2002, 06:54 PM
Brewster
Scooby Regular

Japanese Sti7 - Try closer to 310bhp!!
Old 03 November 2002, 09:35 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I'm going to look at the VIN tomorrow when i test drive it again for the second time. Will it actually say on the VIN number or will I have to de-code it?
Old 04 November 2002, 03:09 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

It'll say exactly whether it's KL or GL. U should be able to find the equipment package codes (i.e. KL/GL) after the model code in the VIN.
Old 04 November 2002, 03:14 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Brewster and others, any prooof on the claimed additional HP ?

I am almost positive that there have been a few dynos on the JDM STi-7 and all where about 280bhp as stated !

Cheers,
Ray

PS: I have a JDM STi-7 so I am not biased
Old 04 November 2002, 05:10 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Off the top of my head, the JDM STi has a lower 5th and 6th gear (closer ratio at the top) so is not as good at motorway cruising, but will arguably accelerate harder in 5th and 6th due to them being lower.

I also seem to remember "standard" JDM STi's getting around 275bhp on PE's rollers and standard Type UK's getting around 260.

I don't know how you tell between the GL and KL but presume that this must be on the paperwork (if you can decipher it! )

Matt
Old 04 November 2002, 05:21 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Have you considered a Litchfield modified Euro Import STi7?

I have one. It's supposed to have 310bhp ish, courtesy of a full Magnex freeflow zorst, full decat, Dawes, remap by Unichip, uprated rear anti roll bar, plus Eibach suspension all for about £2k, on top of the car. I got two years warranty holding warranty, which some people seem to think is pants - time will tell.
Car is absolutely brilliant, I'll worry about residual value in 3 years time..
Old 04 November 2002, 10:59 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

"standard Type UK's getting 260 hp" on PE rollers.

At the recent PE session my standard Type UK got 268 hp and two others got around 271/272 hp, but they had done at least 8000 miles compared to my 5000 miles.

Alan
Old 05 November 2002, 05:41 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Wait for the new car - the differences between the UK and JDM will be much greater! More torque, lower down, better response everywhere, and a new sound track

Old 05 November 2002, 08:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

AJ,

Why will the MY03 JDM vs UK STi's be significantly different?

Matt
Old 05 November 2002, 09:26 AM
JohnS

Matt,

the new JDM STi's are being fitted with a different manifold, and twin-scroll turbo for much better bottom - mid range response.

John
Old 05 November 2002, 10:50 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Talking

But at the motorshow I was told that the info on the new sti will be made public in Feb 03 so when will the UK actually get any of these cars? And I bet there is already a waiting list as well.

So I've bought the Jap sti V7 because it WAS a GL model as recommended above, and as I do 20k miles a year I need a new car this week.

So thanks for all the info on this board, I now know I've made a good decision
Old 05 November 2002, 11:32 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

John,

No. I know about the changes to the MY03 - my point was, why will the JDM vs Type UK MY03's be significantly different from each other (not from the MY02)

Matt
Old 05 November 2002, 01:07 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Matt, so far all the info seems to center on the MY03 JDM STI. There hasn't been any word on how the new design will be adopted to meet Euro3 emissions regs, or at least I haven't come across any info.
Old 05 November 2002, 01:45 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bang on RT - Japan is the beta as usual - hey, someones gotta do it They are working on how to get that new stuff (both on the WRX and STi) to pass international regs, so some of it may make it next year, some of it never Keep your fingers crossed.

Matt, All the work has gone into getting the torque and response down lower (just like Apexjapan.com reported ages ago). The result is some wholesale changes to the drivetrains on both turbo models that drastically improve things.

Oh, and the suspension has been significantly improved with revised geometry + new end-links at the back, and stiffer component mounting points all round too. That and the new option package of DCCD with Auto function (=active centre diff) + stiffer BBS wheels and limpet like RE070s make a simply fab handling machine even better.

It is even easier to drive fast than the "current" STi - I'd hesitate to say that is almost a totally new car, but someone is gonna say that.

I'd say Iain Litchfield is looking at another winner

Btw, if anyone buys a model with RE070s, budget for some more wheels and S03s coz the 070s are not designed for standing water
Old 05 November 2002, 02:19 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Red face

And sorry for the digression Alan, best of luck with your new car!!
Old 21 October 2003, 12:52 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Sorry to open this thread up after a long time but thought it was relevant to me.
I checked the Vin on MY01 JDM Sti7 and it says GLC.

I take it i have the GL model so what is meant ny the "C" after GL though??
Old 22 October 2003, 07:33 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

As you've opened the thread again, I just like to say that I bought the JDM sti v7 and sold the sti v3. I have now driven 25k miles in 11 months and I have to say it is the dogs bol***ks!

The Brembo brakes are just fantastic. The stiffer ride gives better hard cornering. The acceleration is blistering with 10 out of 10 going to the 6 speed gearbox and improved quick-shift. The headlights are a vast improvement, because in the older cars they were possitively dangerous at high speeds especially on country lanes.

The IC spray resevoir is a larger tank and I love the adjustable red warning light rev indicator.

I could go on...

Old 22 October 2003, 08:16 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I could go on...
Please do..
Old 22 October 2003, 10:08 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

... the standard alloy wheels are lighter are larger than the before and combined with the pin-point steering the car doesn't tramline at all.

Larger fuel tank, 60 litres instead of 50. Snugger racing seats with a height adjuster. And of course airbags and ABS.

Minor points are the addition of a low fuel warning indicator (why there wasn't one on the older sti's I'll never know, and a clock.
Old 23 October 2003, 02:04 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Yeah the red warning light is a nice touch.
Also setting it for an audible beep each flash ensures optimum gear change with every gear.

Yes i am in love, the STi 7 has changed my life....
All for the better!!