Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

groupbuys or scoobyshop

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 12:13 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obvious the thread being refered to is this

It starts off as a group buy on Manifolds. Questions were asked and I'll be the first to agree that the supplier is probably the best person to answer them.

However, in the same thread other products are mentioned. I quote "Other offers include". Does that say other group buys? Erm, nope. How can I read that as anything but advertising?

These arent special offers as the moderator stated he was doing, these are SPECIAL prices if we can get more then 15 people on the buys!!!
Does it mention the 15 people thresh hold in the thread? That's another no.

At least two other people read it as commercial advertising as well, as they used the Report to Moderator function.

[Edited by ChrisB - 11/1/2002 12:21:39 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 12:28 PM
ChrisB

I thought Scoobynet was there for the Owners of Imprezas, not the moderators.
And what did I gain by locking the thread?

[Edited by ChrisB - 11/1/2002 12:28:29 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 01:36 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
FFIC,

I'm confused.

You are the chairman of the club, and you also own RRR Preparations. You will supply the club the products, but the club will sell them at cost, in a Grp buy !

How can you claim that the club has no commercial interest, when both the chairman of the club, and the supplier are one, and the same ?

It seems quite simple really. 22b.com have stated that Grp buy offers are free to post, and I'm not aware that Scoobyshop can't be used for grp buys.

Register for the Scoobyshop, it's FREE, and make your offer there. Then post on 22b.com with the same offer.

Best of both worlds, two web sites, no cost to advertise, members get the best deal, your club can be as involved as you want it to be, and your company, will make the profit, it was always going to make from the begining !

Mark.

[Edited by R19KET - 11/1/2002 1:58:06 PM]
Old 31 October 2002, 12:05 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

will there still be group buys now that scoobyshop is open
as a thread has been locked for a manafold one.
just curious

mouse
Old 31 October 2002, 01:20 PM
turb0s
Scooby Regular

it seems that unless the supplier subscribes to a banner ad on here they r not allowed to be able to offer group buys m8

darren from RRR was just trying to help out with fellow scoobies, to save some ££££'s as stuff aint cheap, after i approached him about doing a few possible group buys.

These arent special offers as the moderator stated he was doing, these are SPECIAL prices if we can get more then 15 people on the buys!!!

As for the prodrive spoiler GB i agree with the shutdown on this as its basically selling 'fakes' and SN dont wana be held liable to Prodrive.

but dont agree with the manifold one!!!
Old 31 October 2002, 09:08 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

I agree Mark.
Its a shame that some sights want money, which i can understand, hence the Banners that appear at the top of peoples screens.
But what i dont understand is that now scoobynet want money for companies to advertize group buys, which i feel is a little unfair to other fellow scoob owners.
Companies like myself arrange group buys for the intention of giving owners that little bit more in way of saving money, which isnt a crime, but charging for letting people know? Unfair is an understatment.
Group buys are for the purchasers to get an item that they want and cant afford. Its not advertising of the business, so why charge?
I have been a regular on Scoobynet now for 5 years and things are getting worse. What ever happend to non money making owners clubs/sights
Offer still on though so for those who have an interest please e-mail me.
Old 31 October 2002, 09:39 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>Companies like myself arrange group buys

Erm... does this mean you have a commercial intrest in this ? As in, using this "sight" to do business ? Or is it purely voluntary towards the Subaru owners ?

I think it was AdamM to point this out in the closed thread, and he is one of the critics of "just get a banner ad", rightfully so.

Funny how things work eh.
Old 31 October 2002, 10:28 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Now that I have a commercial interest, I can see this from both sides of the fence.

I want to buy thinks, at the best prices, just the same as everybody else, and "group buys" can be a good way of reducing costs, BUT, let's not take this out of context.

First, and foremost, suppliers are selling products to make their living. Offering a discount for "volume purchases", which is pretty much what a "group" buy is, can help them in several ways, but mainly in enabling them to reduce their own cost price on a product.

This may due to a manufacturer offering volume discount, or in the case or actually manufacturing the product themselves, it's cheaper to make several units, than just a few.

In general terms, there's nothing wrong with this, because everyone benefits.

However, on Scoobynet, it is recognised that if suppliers want to advertise, they are expected to do so via either a "banner" ad', or on Scoobyshop. There is a FREE advertising option on Scoobyshop, so no one has an excuse not to use it.

Now, on that basis, it would seem a little unfair, that a supplier can either just come on, or ask someone else to do it on his behalf, and offer his products, without the same commitment, as the suppliers who place banners, or support the shop.

Mark.
Old 31 October 2002, 11:44 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can post your group buys on the 22b bbs bbs.22b.com

Old 01 November 2002, 11:37 AM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Did anyone know then what business was selling these products?
There was only one person that did!
Flat Four Impreza Club is not the business! We are a car club that is not money making like some i can mention!
It just happens that the chairman of Flat Four also owns a business that supplies and fits Japanese Performance parts and he relies on Word of mouth. He doesnt need to advertise...hence.
Cheers for bbs thread chris
Old 01 November 2002, 12:21 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well it was a group buy for the other items! "What else on offer" means "ON OFFER". Thats not advertizing!!!
It doesnt matter now. Its a shame that some people have nothing better to do than spoil what is on offer for other Impreza Owners
I thought Scoobynet was there for the Owners of Imprezas, not the moderators.
Old 01 November 2002, 12:25 PM
ChrisB

I've just had an e-mail from a supplier to us at work. Various PCs 'on offer'. That's discounted pricing, not a group buy. They’re advertising their products for sale.

I'm utterly baffled how you expect me to read 'on offer' as meaning 'additional group buys'.
Old 01 November 2002, 12:34 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Chris, i dont want to argue with you, but what you have gained is the knowledge that 15 people have gone without a discount on some products.
Its obviously been misread, or put, either, it doesnt matter.
All we was trying to do, seeing as it was the first group buy for owners for us, was to offer a discount on products on group buys. Yes, we do "Offers", but not as much as 35% Discount!

Old 01 November 2002, 01:00 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Group buys are for the purchasers to get an item that they want and cant afford. Its not advertising of the business, so why charge?
You have 15 additional customers who will probably go on to tell others, not advertising eh

Old 01 November 2002, 01:17 PM
turb0s
Scooby Regular

u didnt gain anything but stopped others gaining a part at discounted cost.

If u cared to look I had posted 3 potential group buys after consulting with RRR and getting an agreement of discount with 15+ buyers.

I asked him to asnwer a couple of technical questions which he kindly did and also made reference to the other group buys. but becasue of his wording you have taken it the wrong way and taken drastic action.

Old 01 November 2002, 02:46 PM
ChrisB

I asked him to asnwer a couple of technical questions which he kindly did and also made reference to the other group buys. but becasue of his wording you have taken it the wrong way and taken drastic action.
I suggest you put your Tom Clancy novel down and stop being such a drama queen. Drastic? One thread got locked. If I had time, I could trawl back a few days and pick out the other Group Buy threads for FFC / RRR that didn't get locked.

u didnt gain anything but stopped others gaining a part at discounted cost.
Hello!!!!!!!! The thread is still there! Did the thread get deleted? Nope! People can still get in touch with FFC and discuss or order the products in question. How you can say anyone has lost out is beyond me!
Old 01 November 2002, 02:50 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

NoNo!
How and why im explaining this i dont know!
Doing group buys what i intend to do for fellow owners for the future IS through the business. Flat Four is the name of the club and also my user name.
FFIC has nothing what-so-ever to do with the organisation or prices of items available.
All the club gets involved with in regards to prices is the 10% discount we offer to OUR MEMBERS. So, only members of FFIC are able to get discount on some performance parts, and the only way they know what parts etc is though the club writting to them!

Old 01 November 2002, 02:51 PM
ChrisB

Companies like myself arrange group buys for the intention of giving owners that little bit more in way of saving money, which isnt a crime, but charging for letting people know? Unfair is an understatment.
As Mark has very correctly pointed out, you can have a basic account in the ScoobyNet Shop for Free, nadda, nothing, zero, zilch. What's unfair about that? It's bloody generous in my book!

And just for future reference for you:

ad·ver·tis·ing Pronunciation Key (dvr-tzng)
n.
The activity of attracting public attention to a product or business, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media.
Old 01 November 2002, 03:00 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

I am not stooping down to your level Chris and getting involved in this petty argument.
If you want to go ahead and check for previous threads concerning group buys from RRR or FFIC go ahead....... Its obvious you cant read or have a good memory:

Old 01 November 2002, 03:01 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just my 2p...

The scoobyshop is there, and is free for you to use (NB: you have to provide price differentiation for scoobynetplus members, that's all, so price accordingly). All that's being asked is that you use that mechanism?

There's no animosity, no singling you out, just an attempt to make scoobynet a fair place for all. For reference, all other group buys should be directed towards the same place.

Group buys are difficult, because ultimately if you're a business you're still making money out of it although people are getting what they want at a better price. I think Mark's post is one of the best I've seen on the subject, especially as he has been on both sides.

So, please don't feel singled out or aggrieved: please do sign up for the scoobyshop free and run the buy that way.

We all (by that I mean everyone who uses this board) want the best scoobynet possible, and I personally think scoobyshop will help to sort a lot of the commercial / advertising side of scoobynet out in one go. I daresay that it won't be easy, but it is without doubt the best way forward IMHO.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 01 November 2002, 03:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

BTW, for the record, I think the offer that you're doing is good and should be supported, but please could you do it through scoobyshop?
Old 01 November 2002, 03:04 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

THANK YOU CHIARK
WILL DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01 November 2002, 03:05 PM
ChrisB

I am not stooping down to your level Chris and getting involved in this petty argument.
There's no petty argument. I'm being accused of something that is blatenly untrue ie stopping people taking part in the group buy.
Old 01 November 2002, 05:26 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Thank you.
Thats all needed to know.
Old 02 November 2002, 10:09 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

well thats that explained then
so can we still have the manifolds on a group buy