Sponsored by:

NOS Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2001, 03:18 PM
longun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Have just order this for my pug 306 with 50BHP jets. Anyone had any experiance with it or has it fitted who could give me an opinion.

Also is there still going to be a rolling road day in chelt and if so would my pug be welcome so I could see the results.

Cheers
Old 17 September 2001, 03:45 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Cool

Longun,

I watched The Fast and The Furious if that counts as experience?

Are you getting one of those little red buttons for the steering wheel as well?

Let me know how you get on....

Cheers
Old 17 September 2001, 03:49 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Way back in the old days, when I lived up Newcastle, there was a guy who crusied the Sunderlad Block Yards(sp?) who had a NOS charged Citreon AX!!!!
I seem to remember forged pistons and uprated rods being a definite requirement at the time!!!
Old 17 September 2001, 03:50 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Starting at 50Bhp is brave.

Have you done anything to the engine or drive train yet to prepare it for the giggle gas ???

If not I suggest you only use it for very short bursts as few seconds at a time & then not for a while as you will melt the engine.

Hope you know how to turn it on & off when you are parked cos Nitros burps are quite fun to watch if its not your car.

Does you insurance company know ???
I bet the are booking next year holiday on the extra premimum.

good luck

its also b100dy good fun
Old 17 September 2001, 03:53 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by longun:
<B>Have just order this for my pug 306 with 50BHP jets. Anyone had any experiance with it or has it fitted who could give me an opinion.

Also is there still going to be a rolling road day in chelt and if so would my pug be welcome so I could see the results.

Cheers[/quote]

I've never used, and probsbly never will (heard too many horror stories).

Adding 50bhp to a car with 167bhp as standard (I'm assuming you have either the GTi-6 or Rallye variant) is a lot, almost an extra 30% power.

If you're going to use the nitrous whilst your car is moving then I can't see that you will have too many problems (perhaps a little torque-steer), but if you're going to use it with the car at a standing start (ie traffic light grand prix) then I would iamgine you'll get a lot of wheel spin!!
Perhaps you should also invest in traction control!

Andy.
Old 17 September 2001, 04:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well donr LG, for taking the plunge. I got it fitted to the astra. All I will say is read the dos and donts you get with the kit.
Remember it aint a toy and although you will find incredibly addictive, at 50 squid a bottle, you will soo learn the power of restraint!
Mind you I will repeat the caution of never revv it to the rev limiter. You will destroy the engine. My friend had a go at the weekend and reved it to the limiter. My engine didnt go bang but my exhaust manifold broke in two along the welds and now my exhaust sounds like concorde. Cant make the rallyx now either.....
astraboy.
Old 17 September 2001, 04:57 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

I've got 50BHP jets on a Ford KA (Don't laugh!!!) which is nearly a 100% power increase, I use a progressive controller so I get a 25BHP hit to start then you can alter the build-up time from 2-10 seconds to 50BHP, it's well worth the hundred or so squids because it'll take longer to blow the engine and the gas will last longer.

Bonus point 1 - When you get bored with 50BHP jets you can up-rate them to 75BHP jets

Bonus point 2 - When you change your car you can fit the kit to the new one!!!

Big tip........
Phone Lynde gas on 0121 500 1000 to open an account, tell them you're using it for drag racing and they'll deliver a 50L bottle to your door, its about £30 for delivery, about seven quid a month rental on the bottle and about £150 for a full bottle of gas.

The company you got the NOS kit from will sell you a refil kit so you can fill your bottle yourself.

Let us know how you get on
Old 17 September 2001, 05:42 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bobfrog:
<B>it's well worth the hundred or so squids because it'll take longer to blow the engine and the gas will last longer...

[/quote]

You still use it even though you know it's going to blow your engine up?

Andy.

Old 17 September 2001, 06:17 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

After seeing the Fast and th Furious, one word of warning don't crash or get shot at the car will blow!

Good luck!
Old 17 September 2001, 07:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by andym172:
<B> You still use it even though you know it's going to blow your engine up?

Andy.

[/quote]
I've had mine over a year now and it has been 100% reliable. You are told to fit a performance ignition system but I didnt bother.
This and I have used it to:
do a genuine 130mph run. (the speedo was reading 137 and she was still pulling)
0-60 in 7.1 seconds (with a crap start)
1/4 mile in 15.6 seconds
Spin the wheels in all five gears in the wet.

Not bad for a 14 year old 8v astra with 107k on the clock.
In fact the only time it went was when someone who didnt know the car was driving
All this for 800squid fitted in 1 day
astraboy.

Old 17 September 2001, 08:52 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by andym172:
<B> You still use it even though you know it's going to blow your engine up?

Andy.

[/quote]

All I need is a good excuse to do a big engine convsersion ( + brakes ), blowing the engine is just the excuse I need
Old 18 September 2001, 08:46 AM
longun
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the input guys It's being fitted next friday so all going well should be able to tell some tales the week after

Here's what I'm doing. Putting 25bhp jets in for a couple of weeks to let the car get use to it and then putting 50bhp jets in but with a controller so I don't get a sudden 50bhp out of no where but a slower increase in power and more traction.

P.S. The car isn't a GTI-6 or a rally but an XSI Cheapest way to get power And yes the insurance will know when it's in the car.

Cheers
Old 18 September 2001, 09:43 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had nitrous on my old rover 216 coupe!!

Great fun totally reliable for the year or so I had it on. Took it off though when I sold the car and has been sitting in my garage since (almost 2 years now!!) Really should get around to selling it.

Will post on private.

Ade
Old 18 September 2001, 10:40 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody read Japanese performance car this month? Sunny gtir with nitrous...

Anybody running it on a scoob before coming on boost?? say 25bhp... must be worth doing... or trying ? any body got any ideas?

David
Old 18 September 2001, 10:53 AM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by David_Wallis:
<B>Anybody read Japanese performance car this month? Sunny gtir with nitrous...

Anybody running it on a scoob before coming on boost?? say 25bhp... must be worth doing... or trying ? any body got any ideas?

David[/quote]

What kind of rev range does the boost really come in with/without PPP??
Old 18 September 2001, 01:01 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

I've said this before but a good use for NOX is to use it to remove turbo lag.

The NOX is injected early in the rev range and shuts off as the turbo boost comes in. This has benefits in that it will give you a cooling effect for lower charge temps, it'll bring the boost in earlier, the bottle will last longer and it will feel like you have no lag/or a much bigger normally aspirated engine. This will be great for track days especially on hair-pins where it's easy to go off-boost.

This can all be done with a throttle position switch.

Have fun!

F

Just don't do standing starts with normal transmission.
Old 18 September 2001, 08:56 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surely if something like the link ecu can control water injection or water spray (whichever) (is it the link I am thinking of?) Surely this must be able to control the solenoid for the nos and up the fuel accordingly?

I quite fancy trying nos... but I think I may just go the conventional route... exhaust, air filter, ecu, etc..
Old 18 September 2001, 09:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

longun im looking at nos for my pug (gti6)where are you getting urs from and how mch are you paying and are you fitting it yourself.
Old 18 September 2001, 10:15 PM
psquire45
Scooby Newbie

one thing ive noticed about a lot of the nitrous oxide horror stories is that they always start with "some guy i used to know" or "a mate of a friend that dated my sister".my theory is nitrous oxide got a really bad wrap when god handed out performance parts

nos is like all forced induction to much and your engine goes pop

mind you nos also benefits from having similar effects to water injection or methanol in that it cools down charge temp

also while working out your bhp figures unless your at the pub a 50 bhp kit on a 306 is unlikley to give you 50bhp its just the way the companies measure there jets...i think it goes back to the american v8 days or something

[This message has been edited by psquire45 (edited 18 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 10:55 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

I spoke to various peebs / places about it an the answer was always the same "wot u off yer nut" or "u can`t run NOS with a turbo" not really constructive or helpfull, spoke to a couple of american places about it (a programmable system) not the self destruct button type and none of them had a specific kit available for use on an Impreza 1 of my m8s runs it on his CRX with good results I know it can be done but just haven`t talked to the right person yet... Tryin to get as much tekno info on it as poss jnow so I can figure it myself (looks like the only way i`m gonna get an answer) but 4 now jus have to do with wot i got (a big fug off turbo and a possumlink)

Good luck
Pete
Old 19 September 2001, 08:53 AM
longun
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by psquire45:
<B>also while working out your bhp figures unless your at the pub a 50 bhp kit on a 306 is unlikley to give you 50bhp its just the way the companies measure there jets...i think it goes back to the american v8 days or something

[This message has been edited by psquire45 (edited 18 September 2001).][/quote]

Yea I'm aware of that but depending on the car you could get more or less I know turbo cars get almost twice the increase because of the way it works. You never know it might be more but I think I will get about 40bhp at the flywheel still a big increase tho and will make a standard uk scoob think what the hell has been done to that

(on a track tho officer)

Old 19 September 2001, 10:18 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Astra or anyone,

Please explain, in as much detail as possible, why reving to the limiter can knacker your engine and why your manifold cracked. I was under the impression that running N2O was actually incredibly reliable as long as your engine/transmission is strong enough to cope with the power increase. I saw a manifold expolde on The Fast and the Furious but thought it was just a stupid film dramatisation!

Cheers, Bren
Old 19 September 2001, 10:30 AM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Dave Walker did a series of intelligent and informed articles in Cars & Car Conversions magazine a couple of years ago. They fitted a kit to a Mk I Golf with a progressive controller mapped to a 3D management kit, I believe it was successful. He can be contacted through the magazine, or Emerald Cams I think.
Old 19 September 2001, 02:29 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

I got nos in my cossie - its good fun

Old 19 September 2001, 04:36 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

Check out
Old 19 September 2001, 09:36 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bobfrog:
<B>Check out
Old 19 September 2001, 09:40 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

<B>Check out
Old 19 September 2001, 11:24 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

I too run trevs jets - in its last incarnation my car was 310@wheels without nos and 380bhp @ wheels with. funniest thing was spinning the wheels up in 4th in the dry but I took my car off the road after that incident as the police saw me doing it as well...

Only problem I have had has been a fuel solenoid failure - as it overheated so that could have killed my engine but it was spotted on the rollers as we are always playing with the car.

Tricky bit is the setup - If I had used the jets that came with the kit my engine wouldnt have lasted a minute. You also need cunning boost control for a good conversion both running with and without the nos as it tends to cause the turbo to run away under normal settings.

Good stuff though Just bought some fun bits while I'm out in america working.

Martin