Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting the wife drive the car............

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2001, 08:16 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have my wife insured to drive my car (not just for insurance purposes)'cos she does have a drive of it now and then (usually when I'm drinking!).

She says that she is really conscious of everything she does wen I am in the car with her as she knows how much it means to me, consequently she tends to drive like a newbie.

Last night we drove up to Mold for a mates wedding and on the way back she clipped a kerb and I let out a cry of pain. For the next 10 miles I was biting my lip trying not to say anything but wanting to stop the car and inspect the damage (she did say sorry at the time).

After a while we stopped at a garage to fill up and I had a quick look (gave her a disapproving look as well), but the damage was minor, it had just marked the paint on a section of the wheel about 8 inches long. The subsequent discussion was carried out in silence!

This morning when I looked again, I felt guilty about having ago and apologized......

Does anyone else have similar experience with their other halves?

Cheers,
Darren.

MY01, DBM, PPP, scuff of front NSL (not that I hold a grudge )
Old 16 September 2001, 08:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

You let a WOMAN drive a Scooby???????????????

Are you COMPETELY mad man????????????????????

Actually, if it has Gold Wheels I suppose its the gender everyone expects to see driving!!

Flame suit on all all ready for ya!!

Pete
Old 16 September 2001, 08:29 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

well put it this way - if i was still with my ex-wife i would not have a scoob.

however i do have one and i have a new partner - she's been on the insurance for a while (it made it cheaper :cool but she does not want to drive it.

cos she knows how i feel about my scoob and i know how i would be if i was a passenger !

difficult one m8. another m8 has to let his drive it cos they have only 1 car ! he is getting used to it - and he's marrying her next sat so he gotta be semi-happy with the situation !

steve
Old 16 September 2001, 09:02 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichelleWRX1994:
<B>For a start I would not marry a man with attitude that a woman can't/shouldn't drive cos I would end up in prison for murder

Not going to flame you pslewis, would be a wate of a post and my time

Michelle.[/quote]

No no no no NO!

I once let an ex of mine (I was seeing her at the time) drive my car back from seeing some relatives of hers (I don't have a scooby I might add). She ended up racing an MR2 away from the traffic lights. Scary? Oh yeah!

She had a supermini and wasn't used to the size of my car. I winced every time she went near curbs, hedges, walls etc.
Old 16 September 2001, 09:02 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

My Mrs keeps telling me I should have bought an SLK , can you beleive it!

She doensn't really get the 'scoob' thing, but I'm not complaining
Old 16 September 2001, 09:07 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Fairplay Michelle.

Why is it that SOME men think that women can't drive.

Were not all totally hopeless.

Tracey
Old 16 September 2001, 09:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
<B>Fairplay Michelle.

Why is it that SOME men think that women can't drive.

Were not all totally hopeless.

Tracey[/quote]

"Tracey, how much are the peas this week?"

Pete
Old 16 September 2001, 09:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

For the record, my/our Scoob is insured in my wife's name.... the last accident we/I had, I was driving, although not technically my fault etc... blah, blah, blah.....

My wife scares the **** out of me (in a good way ) when driving the Scoob, there's NOBODY who will take the P1SS out of her......

Most of the luck with our Scoob has been rubbed off my me - MY bad luck!!!! heheheheh!!

Personally, D (my wife) would have apologized, admittedly, for scratching the wheel, but then torn me a new ar$ehole for wanting to take it any further!!

Fair play to her!!!

Darren, the phrase "Hell hath no fury....etc"

Dan
Old 16 September 2001, 09:27 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

tracey

problem is cars are still a man thing to 99% of people.

my mother is different - used to chucking e-types and xk 150s around cos my father ran a garage business for 25 yrs damn i wish u could have driven one of those.

she got oldish xr4x4 now - goes well but does not handle.

my ex viewed cars as simply a tool to get A to B - had a metro !!!! and then bought a fiesta

current partner got a neon - god wot a barge with no power and a horrid sounding engine. she used to have a Z3 ! her father was gonna but 911 but would not wait for the long waiting list so cancelled order she dont get 'scoob' thing but lets me get on with it

and is understanding in my wanting an Evo 7

so u ladies into motors are in the definite minority.

as for pete - ignore him, everyone else does - he got no taste and no idea

steve
Old 16 September 2001, 09:27 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I don't normally have a problem, but 3 days after paying out about 1100 on new momo arrows + tyres my wife came back from popping to the shop and had managed to kerb both passenger side wheels 75% of the way round........

not happy.
Old 16 September 2001, 09:29 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pslewis:
[B] "Tracey, how much are the peas this week?"

Not all us blokes would even consider thinking like this. Did have an incident a few years back letting a girl drive my car(pre Scoob days) but there are probably more muppet bloke drivers than those of the female persuasion.

Old 16 September 2001, 09:44 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I don't let the women driver thing bug me, whats the point I've been in with good and bad drivers of both sex's!

I think I'd be traumatised if <I>anyone</I> damaged my car, I went into shock every time when I kerbed three of my alloys the last time being when our kid ( not the worlds best driver) was watching me into a gap, I thought to myself " hmm, must be getting near that kerb, not to worry Pete's watching me and will cleary realise the respect I have for my car, it's alloys in particular and will guide me away from the nasty, pointy, abrasive kerb". How wrong could I be!

Bob

PS Cheaper insurance for women really does p**s me off
Old 16 September 2001, 09:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Perriam:
<B>tracey

as for pete - ignore him, everyone else does - he got no taste and no idea

steve[/quote]

He can howeverer speek betterer inglish then wot I can, is that it?!! ha ha ha!! nah mate you dont even come close

I might not have your taste or your ideas but I can spell and speak the queens english - much better than wot you can!

Bug Eyed Wonder - maybe, just maybe, I was joking????

Michelle - So, my Relaint Robin wouldnt light your fire??? surely you cannot be so materialistic?

Pete
Old 16 September 2001, 10:30 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Cool

When I went to test drive a Scooby RB5 recently, the sales guy said I drove it like a bloke. I said to him that I didn't think I wasn't THAT bad!
Old 16 September 2001, 10:37 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>
Michelle - So, my Relaint Robin wouldnt light your fire??? surely you cannot be so materialistic?

Pete[/quote]

Your attitude doesn't appeal to me

Michelle.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:39 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

go on Chelle, stick it to him
Old 16 September 2001, 10:51 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just to clarify, I don't mind my wife driving my car (after all she let's me drive hers......that I built for her....a Pimlico with a nice 1380cc unit in), but I do wish she would drive it with a little more aggression.

I said that after the 'incident' we stopped for fuel, well, I checked the fuel consumption on the journey tonight....just under 29 mpg, that the best it's ever done!!!!

Cheers,
Darren.
Old 16 September 2001, 11:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichelleWRX1994:
<B> Your attitude doesn't appeal to me

Michelle.[/quote]

Really? what a surprise

My wife can drive the Scooby - just as soon as she has finished my ironing and washed the dishes .......... as long as its not dark,

cloudy,

sunny,

wet,

drizzle,

foggy,

Pete
Old 16 September 2001, 11:32 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

pete - soz m8 i thought u came from Wales ? they dont speak english. apologies if u dont and u r normal

bob - she might stick it to him, but i bet she'd be damned if she'd let him stick it to her, shes obviosuly got far more taste than that

lol @ darren 29mpg !!

as i said ignore pete - he aint got nothing better to do (than correct my english ) so posts here to annoy folks. no trains running then pete ?

and btw m8, u r a bit heavy handed on the enter key - far to many blank lines in that posting

steve

Old 16 September 2001, 11:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Sorry, your post was so poor I cant understand it - maybe you could actually type the words?? - you know, string a few letters together to make big words like, are - instead of R??

Mind you, you have great difficulty stringing words together to make sense - so I suppose hoping for letters is a lost cause!!

Pete
Old 17 September 2001, 08:42 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Jeez, its only a car If a tiny kerbing traumatises you, don't enter the real world

Being car-proud is one thing, but surely you all bought your cars to enjoy, not worry about? Remind yourselves it is just a piece of reparable metal, and I promise you, you will enjoy and love twice as much

Old 17 September 2001, 08:57 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ok I have never (and probably WILL never) let my other half drive my car (although she's got a GTI 16v) BUt beat this one.. LET YOUR MOM DRIVE! me and dad let her drive my Westfield with us both runing down the drive either side of her with faces of pure panic Then she said it didn't pop or bang when SHE drove it. I wonder why...
Old 17 September 2001, 09:00 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mrs wife has driven all my past and current cars and she says "What a load of crap" (Expecially at Scoobies)

A couple of weeks back she took the Integra for a spin and said "The most uncomfortable car ever!"

When she got into the 22B she said, Loud, Bumpy and "SLOW!!" LOL

She now sticks to driving her Focus

Old 17 September 2001, 09:02 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Poor driving by women is normally caused by paying too much attention to the w@**er in the passenger seat who cannot stop putting his foot on the brake and wincing everytime you get within a foot of a hedge
Old 17 September 2001, 09:06 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

GaryC,

I was thinking the same myself, it's only a car!!! And can be repaired.

My wife is scared if I take her out and get the car in a four wheel power slide (around roundabouts) so she hardly going to try it herself....

My wife takes my car out all the time, when I'm at home, and usually I have to look after the four girls. I encourage her to boot it as well.... Surprisingly there are women out there that can drive and she is one of them..... Just think of the guilt your women would have if they crashed / hit a kerb / spun it .....

When she's driving my car, I drive her Ford Maverik 4x4, usually done the nearest bridal path, and enjoy mud plugging in it. She get lary when I come back as it's usually covered in mud.

Come on lighten up!!! I had two of my alloys damaged when I had new tyres fitted.... **** happens.

Cheers Phill C

PS And I've let a few girls / women drive my car at work, when they need to go to the shops for something. And I don't go with them...
Old 17 September 2001, 09:39 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

'er indoors drives it regular. Although not allowed to go to shops in it.

They are all so much more composed and generally (!) not looking out for totty to impress like us "boys".

Gawd bless 'em.

Oh I don't need the wife to kerb my alloys, I can do that myself.

[This message has been edited by BarryK (edited 17 September 2001).]
Old 17 September 2001, 09:42 AM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Red face

I sit on my hands now when my wife drives, and I got a ban so currently my hands are pretty numb....

I don't actually think she is a bad driver, when she concentrates on the road. The problem is she finds driving very boring, consequently the body shop has a very good match now for sonic blue...

Maybe it's a man thing, only doing one thing at a time; or at least so the women in this family say
Old 17 September 2001, 09:57 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Suzy is insured to drive the blackbeast, and I'm not that bothered, as long as no damge is done then I'm ok about it. she treats the car with more respect than I do, plus she likes driving it. she's looking forward to me going to the USA as it means she'll be driving the beast for a month, and she likes driving it.
Old 17 September 2001, 09:57 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Talking

I never had any problems letting my wife drive the Scooby, and she didn't seem to mind me sitting next to her while she was driving it. I've even had to point out that a car she was about to leave for dead at traffic lights was a police car.

The score on kerbed wheels is 0 (her) - 3 (me), so no contest on that score.

I even let the kids' nanny drive it these days - call me weird, but seeing other people enjoy the experience of driving the car outweighs any concerns I have about minor damage.
Old 17 September 2001, 10:21 AM
NAP6W
Scooby Regular

I took my wife out in my new WRX and showed her that it could go very fast and not that fast. When she got in she drove like she was in her Fiat Brava. (carefully) When she does drive the WRX it is normally when I have had a drink so I am more relaxed and well, she is the one doing me a favour - so I can hardly criticise. She has a great habit of driving along sedately and when a little boy racer overtakes her she utters the words - Little W%$&er and totally boots it !!

Quick Reply: Letting the wife drive the car............