Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

storing my scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2002, 02:54 PM
bendillon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am putting the scooby in the garage for 6 months while i am away, any good advice about problems people have had when storing the scooby?
i have entrusted the misses to start up every week or so but any other advice is much appreciated...
thanks
Old 26 October 2002, 03:28 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

take the wheels of and put in on axle stands, i think there is treatment for the engine for leavin it for prolonger periods.
Old 26 October 2002, 03:40 PM
bendillon
Scooby Regular

what in the oil?
whats it called?
Old 26 October 2002, 05:17 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

you dont need to to do anything if its going to be started regularly if its not going to be moved chock the wheels and leave the hanbrake off! She'll be fine unless you want one of us to look after it for you im sure there would be no charge lol i'd even pick it up and drop it back!!!!
Old 26 October 2002, 05:31 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Depends if you really want to mothball it properly? If the engine oil isn't absolutely brand new it will contain acids which form by reactions with carbons in the fuel, this gets worse as the oil gets older. When left in a cool environment, condensation forms inside the engine and mixes with the oil which then increases the acidic action. By running your engine for a few minutes each week you are just circulating the acids around the engine which will eventually cause microscopic corrosion to form on the cam and on the cylinder bores (other places too). To counter this problem, the engine needs to reach working temperature for 30 mins, this allows the condensation/water to boil off together with some of the acids.

So, your wife either needs to take it for a 1/2 hour drive every
week, or not touch it. If you choose to mothball it, then you should drain and flush the oils, change the filter and fill with special oil used to store aircraft engines, or at least with clean oil. You can also get spark plugs filled with cilica gel which remove moisture from inside the engine, this will prevent condensation. Finally spray oil into the plug holes (not easy on a scoob engine) and fit the silica plugs. When you come back it will be just as you left it.

If you really cant be arsed to do all that, then just change the oil and filter, the let her run it for 5 mins every week. Not ideal, but better than nothing.