Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat tyre

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2001, 12:23 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can drive it anywhere you want but you have to stay below 50 mph! and i've never come across a scoob that has ever had a problem due to a difference in tyre wear you should be ok the transmission is quite strong it can handle it.
Old 16 September 2001, 12:47 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I absolutley knackered the front left-hand tyre on an airfield day and until I had it replaced the next weekend the car wanted to turn left a lot....

I would try to avoid radically different amounts of tread on the same axle. 1 or 2 mm fine, but 5,6 or 7 no.
Old 16 September 2001, 07:40 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Got home last night and got out of the car to hear a hissing sound. turns out to be air coming out of my rear passenger side tyre. have not checked what did it, cos it was dark, but will do in a little while.

I can put the spare on, but I think it's a spacesaver (car is my94 wrx wagon).

My concern here is that I have a trip from kent to surrey (egham ish area) on tuesday. am would not be happy about travelling that far on a space saver. The problem being that I need a replacement toyo proxes t1-s and I doubt that anywhere local will have one come monday morning, so they'd have to order it and that means it'd be tuesday morning at the earlist and I've got to be at this place at around 9:30.

Am I right in being paranoid about not driving that far on the space saver?

Also, what about when I do get the new tyre, will it muck up the AWD? I've heard something a while back about not having more that a certain mm of difference between tread depth between tyres, or don't this really matter? my last set of tyres were not all the same depth and it never seemed to make any difference.

Oh, and anyone know anywhere in the kent area that'll have a toyo in stock, and be able to fit it on a sunday - got me fingers crossed!
Old 16 September 2001, 08:46 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Try here,
Old 16 September 2001, 05:47 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I ran on the spacesaver for a couple of days and had no problems. Though I wouldn't say the handling was good, in the dry around 40mph corners at 25mph it was feeling slow!

AWD can have problems with different amounts of tread on tyres causing different rolling radius' and hence drivetrain problems(Vauxhall Cav/Calibra 4x4 had big trouble with this). Mike Wood of Prodrive said the scooby drivetrain is strong enough to cope with differences in rolling radius'. That said running any car with one 2mm tyre and one 7mm will kill the handling!

Hope you get it sorted, sticking to 50 can be a real pain!

Jon
Old 16 September 2001, 06:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys.

have just changed it over to the spacesaver, god it looks odd gonna only take it to the garage to get it fixed, deff not going to work in it. hopefully will be able to get a tyre pretty soon.

found the cause though. big bug *** bit of glass in the tyre, opened up a 3mm hole, not good.

thank god I was not on the motorway!!! could have been really nasty otherwise/