Sponsored by:

Track days and warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 12:09 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

And we could go back to the question of whether all the P1's IM used on track to demonstrate the car's performance are also now without warranty.

Old 06 September 2001, 12:22 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

The clause that seems to be the important one (which was pointed out to me by IM) was...

"Any vehicle used for motor sport competitions <B>or which are subject to abnormal operating conditions</B>"

The reason this was pointed out was that I asked if it would be OK if we didn't time the event. To which the reply was "no".

cheers

Simon
Old 06 September 2001, 12:33 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

<B>"which are subject to abnormal operating conditions"</B>

Define abnormal operating conditions?

This sounds like weasel words they can use to get out of anything.

Let's take a quick look at what could be abnormal.

Fitting bigger brakes on the car can put higher than normal stresses on it, even though it is within design specs

Driving the car faster than what would be considered normal. E.g Going faster than the speed limit, may be considered abnormal. Even though it happened in Germany.

Going round a corner sideways on a road, puts abnormal stresses on the car(I wonder if the world record car lost it's warranty?)

Driving across a grassy field that doubles as a car park may be considered as 'abnormal'

What about a non standard ICE setup, this puts abnormal loading on the electrical system. Does a lot of ICE void your warranty?

Abnormal acceleration could theoretically void your warranty?

See! These words can be twisted to mean anything. Does anyone have an IM definition for the term 'abnormal'?

This is <I>not</I> an attack on IM BTW, most car makers put in such weasel words. I'm just concerned our idea of abnormal does not match IM's and so a lot of people are going to be cheesed off if it comes to a warranty claim.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 06 September 2001).]
Old 06 September 2001, 11:33 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

I picked this out from the rallyx thread, as it's a general trackday question and I did'nt want to pollute the rallyx thread with replies to this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Simon de Banke:
<B>Hi All

IM have confirmed to me that your warrenty will indeed be effected if you take part.

This is the same rule that applies to track days and has nothing to do with the timing, etc.

[/quote]

Simon,

Just to confirm, are you saying that ANY track day, timed or not will invalidate the warranty?

I thought it was just timed events that would do this, but from your comment above it seems not

I.e <I>This is the same rule that applies to track days and has nothing to do with the timing, etc.</I>
Old 06 September 2001, 11:43 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Dunno, I always deplate the car before going on airfields.

Simon.
Old 06 September 2001, 11:47 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

mmm... the first track day i went on was organised by honda for new owners of performance cars. It would be quite amusing if at the end of it they came round, took our plates and told us our warranties were void

My guess is that its the same deal as insurance - manufacturers and insurance companies are now far more concerned about trackdays; however until the small print changes to specifically exclude non-timed events then you are covered. Although you may have to kick up a fuss to make it happen.

I'm speaking from very recent experience...

jon
Old 06 September 2001, 11:58 AM
ChrisB

Question

Confused me as well Neil.

I would love to drive my car on the RallyX, even untimed but I've still got 8 months warranty left or so.

Just looking at my Service Booklet and it says...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Following off-road use you must examine the underside of your vehicle for damage. Pay particular attention to any grass that may have collected around the gearbox, propshaft and rear differential.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what's the difference between me whizzing a friends grass field and doing the RallyX <I>untimed</I>?

If it's a slow 2nd gear course on grass, could it put that much strain on the car?

ChrisB.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 06 September 2001).]
Old 06 September 2001, 11:59 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Sort of related to this...

If an owner used their car for a trackday and therefore invalidated the warrenty, then sold it on via a dealer still within the warrenty period. I assume who ever then bought the car would in theory not be covered? Of course this would depend on IM knowing that it was used on track, but where would the new owner stand, especially if it was bought from a Subaru dealer who did not know that it had been on track?

This is a bit of a concern of mine as I *hope* to buy a P1 next year and don't want one that's been used on track (for a number of reasons).

Old 06 September 2001, 01:35 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

From the rallyx thread:- author me.

I think the warranty specifically refers to timed events and racing. Which I think is fair enough.
If you take the car on an airfield or track and drive it quickly, they must (and I believe will) honour the warranty. They say it can be driven quickly, heck they even quote a top speed and a 0-60 time in their literature/specs.

If it can't without being damaged then it is not of merchantable quality. ie. It is not suitable for the purpose based on which it is sold.

This is an enthusiasts event, no-one wants to take the mickey, so come on Subaru UK, set the record straight, and lets have it on here in writing.

Simon De Banke is waiting for a response via e-mail from SUK/IM.
Old 06 September 2001, 01:43 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you are worried about warrenty, just remove your number plates or use 'track' ones. Then how can they know that you have been on a track?

Tim
Old 06 September 2001, 02:47 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

WTF
Old 06 September 2001, 03:29 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tim Taylor:
<B>If you are worried about warrenty, just remove your number plates or use 'track' ones. Then how can they know that you have been on a track?

Tim[/quote]

Erm, they send a mole along to the event and unless you drive in and out with the track plates on they can note your reg.

Oh, for the RallyX, there is the small issuse of your name or BSS nick on the side windows!

ChrisB.
Old 06 September 2001, 03:47 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

They surely don't go to the lengths of sending someone to log everyones plate number do they?

If then did wouldn't he/she look a bit suspicious walking round or standing at the front gate with a clip board?

Matt
Old 06 September 2001, 03:54 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Plenty of people about with cameras though...

Next track day "Spot The IM Worker" LOL

I reckon it's Josh L as he's always taking lots of pics of all the cars on track

I think I'll have IM's press car reg on next time

I would imagine that if you don't take the pi$$ warranty wise then it'll be OK - blown engines every couple of weeks would be suspicious & abusing the system