Sponsored by:

My door glass blew in on my face!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 02:45 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Comming on to the A34 to the south of Bicester on Saturday evening I press the button to wind my window up as I get on the dual carriage way. Just as the glass gets to the top (I'm doing about 70 mph by now) there's an almighty bang and the glass implodes into the car hitting the side of my face and flying into the back of the car :angry:!

I was really, really luck that it didn't go in my eyes or cut me - I had a few very small chards in my neck and I absolutely covered in glass from my hair to my feet .

Picked up my car from the glass place today and found the window jumping as it went up and down. They had another go when I remarked on this and it was better when it came back but still not perfect. They said there was glass in the grease for the mechanism and they were unable to remove it. I'm now worried that this will damage my new window (which is now not sealing properly and I got a load of wind noise comming back to work in Cambridge today)!

Has anyone heard of this before? My car is a MY99 unmodified Sport.

It really scared the sh*t out of me and wouldn't want it to happen again or to anyone else.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ben.
Old 14 October 2002, 02:47 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Make sure you get the door completely clear of glass - even if it means taking it to a dealer. The glass fitters should do the job properly.

I had glass fragments left in my door after a break-in, and the replacement glass ended up with scratchmarks on it.
Old 14 October 2002, 02:49 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark, I'm getting her serviced on Friday anyway and was going to ask them to take it apart and clean it. After two attempts RAC Autowindscreens still haven't got it right . I can hear glass in the door still if I shake it .

Ben.
Old 14 October 2002, 05:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember someone posting about this before, some time ago, but I can't be of more help than that. Anyone?
Old 15 October 2002, 11:52 AM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this an isolated incident and do I need to worry about it happening again?

Ben.
Old 15 October 2002, 12:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry Ben, can't help further. Am sure someone else posted about this. However, I've been reading scoobynet for six months before my registration, and I only remember one post, so it's not exactly common like clutch judder or chocolate pistons. The only point you have to worry about is if it was due to some sort of underlying mechanical fault, such as misalignment, which wasn't fixed when the glass was replaced.

Good luck

Brendan
Old 15 October 2002, 12:49 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Did you contact Subaru UK?

FFS!

[Edited by Fullonloon - 10/15/2002 12:49:22 PM]
Old 15 October 2002, 01:13 PM
Abzdon
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with regards to it not sealing correctly (I had a 1 inch gap between seal and glass!) and juddering going up. Turns out the bolts for the motor were loose causing the window to go up squint.

This could explain why the glass broke as well, especially if you started getting wind noise before it broke. I was amazed how much the glass tried to bend when it was force up into the seal squint.

Duncan....
Old 15 October 2002, 01:31 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone have a postal address and a telephone number for Subaru UK - their website has nothing. My original plan was to speak to my dealer (Tiley of Bristol) when I take it in for its service on Friday.

The door glass sealed fine before hand. I had not noticed anything a miss before hand - one of the reasons why it was such a surprise! The replacement glass isn't sealing around the wing mirrow and leaks air into the car at 60 mph and above.

Ben.

Old 15 October 2002, 01:48 PM
GMAY
Scooby Regular

Ben

Here is the customer services tel. number at International Motors (the Subaru importer) 0121 522 2000.

See you tomorrow
Grahame
Old 15 October 2002, 01:52 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Thanks Grahame!

I'll try and make it tomorrow - I'm just even busier with work than ever (the car problems meant I missed Sunday and more importantly Monday morning! )

Ben.
Old 15 October 2002, 04:12 PM
Paloma
Scooby Regular

A few times when i'v opened my drivers window, it had made a loud bang!!!
It looks like the window has been partly jammed when i,v put it up.
I thought it was going to blow, Sound like you may have had a similer prob...

chris
Old 15 October 2002, 04:52 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Same problem for me occasionally. It appears to be the little black guide widget thing at the top of the door panel. The window sometimes closes over the outside of it causing a gap between window and seal hence crap sound insulation. Also when opening window it snaps back into place causing the "bang" or in some cases the window to shatter. It was just happening on divers side but now appears to appen on passenger side sometimes ???
Old 15 October 2002, 09:05 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Red face

This has been happening to me a lot recently too,thought the seatbelt was jammed in the door when it wouldnt shut but it was the glass hitting off the little black window guide thing.
Also get the loud bang when i open it sometimes,tried bending the guide thing up but doesnt seem to make any difference,a bit worrying!
Old 16 October 2002, 03:47 AM
ed_the_duck
Scooby Regular

hmm!.......70 mph.....was comming down the m1 a few weeks ago, 4up and doing 150mph.......the passenger behind me got nervous and decided to hit the window switch (in future i will isolate them)
I first heard a funny noise (which was the window moter squeeling to move the glass) then an almighty implosion as the cabin decompressed....realising what had happend, slowing quick as i could, the glass would not go back up untill i was at sixty and the rubber around the door needed to be put straight....the car however, at 150 the car went light on the skids as the window opened....that really f**8in scared me lol....so morral of the tale if you dont already isolate windows at speed while you have passengers i would highly recomend it....
Old 16 October 2002, 07:59 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Surely the moral of the story is not to do 150mph unless you're on a track?!
Old 16 October 2002, 09:19 AM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Red face

MarkO, indeed! - or drive a Sport like myself and never be tempted by such speeds!

Seriously, most of the glas blew into the back seat - it was very lucky I had no passengers