Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX MY94 - a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2001, 02:24 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A local garage is selling the above car for approx. £8k. It is an import with 92k miles and some history and some mods - (not known!)in black - looks v.smart.
Does this sound too expensive and what should I look for. On intial inspection the tyres, brakes and alloys looked OK.

Cheers Alex
Old 30 August 2001, 02:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Dont like the "some history and some mods" bit myself
These cars need a 100% service history for you to know how its been treated, if i was you i would keep looking, there are plenty more out there with probably less miles and fsh (and known mods which will please your insurance co).

Tony
Old 30 August 2001, 04:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

8k for a MY94 with 92k miles is a lot. My car is MY94, has aprox 78000 miles, a few mods here and there, probably get 7k max for it now.

Would need to know if it's WRX or WRX Sti as well, this does make a difference, both in performance and insurance, as do the mods, so it'd be nice to know what the mods were.

Tyres and brakes might look ok, but it's really the other mechanicals you need to look at, eg; drive train, engine, gearbox, clutch, turbo, etc...

Might be worth looking around at some others though, as Tony says, there any many about.
Old 30 August 2001, 04:10 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Shimster..

I saw one advertised in the Private Section by Skippy on behalf of a friend for £5995 or £5495 to Scoobynetters.

Black also....

Do a search ???

O.M.
Old 30 August 2001, 04:39 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

now that is expensive if it's a wrx.

92k!!!!

jeez......I reckon 7k is nearer the mark but still too much.

visit
Old 30 August 2001, 04:59 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alex

The car Octane Man mentions was sold for about £5000, it was a good car too, needed a good polish and a couple of tyre's. The car went for less than it was worth IMHO. The lads that bought it seemed over the moon with it.

Skip.

[This message has been edited by Skippy (edited 30 August 2001).]
Old 31 August 2001, 08:07 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard any WRX that has a full history is dodgey, as in Japan any servicing details are held on the government computer and owners rarely keep there books stamped up to date.

If the government computer shows history then, when they sell to an auction, they get a discount on a new car.

Apparently anyone can by a service book from the Auction, purley to fool the european market.

I've also heard that if it has no history then it probably came into the UK of Ireland as an insurance right-off and has been rebuilt.

So beleive what u like, but don't beleive what any dealer tells u as it will probably just be fabricated around his circumstances.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH.....cause I don't know....

My Old 93WRX had some history in a stamped Jap service book, but on closer inspection was obviouse that it had had a slight excursion into the scenary (damaged floorpan, new front wing/bonnet, and some roof repairs which were only noticeable in a spray booth), but as too what the total damage was, I'm not sure....

This was one of the reasons I now have a 94UK Prodrive.

[This message has been edited by Scott.T (edited 31 August 2001).]
Old 31 August 2001, 08:25 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Alex
Are you looking for a 4 or 5 door WRX ?
Old 31 August 2001, 10:22 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I agree with Scott regarding JAP service history - a service book is very rare, but of course if the car has been in the UK for a few years then I'd be concerned if there was no history since its arrival....
Again, fake Jap service books are aplenty, infact if a dealer showed me one I'd very very concerned!

There are some scare stories about 2nd hand imports from Ireland, quite a few are justified. My advice would be to check that the car was bought at a Japanese auction (not an auction in Ireland), ask for the auction sheet as this will tell you everything you need to know :-

The chassis No. make sure its correct!
Its mileage in kms
Its grading out of 10 (4 or above is OK IMO)
everything else is in Japanese!!
There should be a plan view drawing of the car showing dents, scuffs etc and they will show even the smallest of marks.

The inspection that the cars go through carried out by the auction house is very comprehensive and IMO the best guarentee of avoiding a dodgy example.

Some dealers over here do buy direct from japan, most buy from Ireland. The rest were already here and the original history is harder to trace. If you are in any doubt then walk away, theres loads of choice at the mo.

BTW a 94 WRX with 92k on the clock should be at a lower price than advertised.

Hope this helps

Justin
Old 01 September 2001, 06:39 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for your comments! I have now had a test drive and gone over the car as best as I can! The dealer has suggested he wants to clear it and will accept a reasonable offer (it is not is usual type of stock).
As far as I can see everything seems as new, there are a couple of areas that I need clarifying-
- I did not realise that the clock is in km to it has 92kkm not miles - a bit better. The speedo only goes upto 110mph - is it limited to this speed? Can you un-limit it?
- The bonnet and boot seem to be al.alloy is this correct?
- The seat trim look like something out of Halfords, is this std!!!
- The only mods the cars has is very good sounding dump valve,a Magnex(?)back box and front cross brace other than that it is immaculate!! Brakes, engine, gearbox suspension all very sound and feel solid.
(I have a high milage Legacy Turbo and it feels like a new car in comparison)
I'm tempeted to put in a low offer and see what the garage would go for (this is what my heart says), although I should really go for a more practicle 5 door - what could I get for 6 to 7k?
Thanks for you comments.
Alex
Old 01 September 2001, 08:31 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

A good importer will have had the speedo converted and kms changed to mph. It will still be limited.

So if they haven't done this.......what else haven't they done???

If it's not there usual thing why did they buy it in. Only 1 reason to me, it was dirt cheap.

did you check how many owners in the UK? If it has had one then it would definately of needed some security put on it for insurance, if no security, it was registered by a trader to sell it on (maybe as a private sale). I see no reason why a trader wouldn't get the proper conversions done unless they were cutting corners.

What other docs did they have for the car?
Old 01 September 2001, 08:39 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

oh one thing. Always assume the mileage is in miles unless docs prove otherwise.

I assume it's not exactly difficult to convert the mileage when first imported, do 50,000 miles in it, return to standard and say " no mate all kms, look it's not been converted". Looks like 92,000kms (57.5k miles) but it could be say 40,000kms (25k miles) + 50,000 miles so 75k miles in total not 57k.

Could be me being cynical, but I just don't understand why the speedo's arn't all converted to miles on entry in to the UK and a certificate staing the date and mileage of correction.

If everything is in order and your happy, go for it!!!
Old 02 September 2001, 01:17 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shimster

£7,500 and you can have my MY95 Sliver only mods are a quickshift and purple samco hoses and 2k worth of Audio

Si
Old 02 September 2001, 11:12 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty certain it's 92km (says so on the clock??) with mph for speed an km for milage, as you say haw much can I trust the rest of it (as you say Mattn why van not they convert this as well). The impot douc,ments look OK with two prev. owners.
Any other comments?
Alex
Old 03 September 2001, 01:36 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Alex

There is one lead that goes from gearbox to speedo consol (on preface lift this is a cable on later a wire) the box for converting goes just after gearbox and as this is the only conection what the speedo reads is what the odometer reads.

Si
Old 03 September 2001, 01:46 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Alex

Also what colour is the inlet manifold, what is the redline on it, is there a button to the right of steering wheel saying water spray or similar and to a lesser extent the badge on the front.

Regards
Si
Old 03 September 2001, 08:51 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

if the speedo has been converted to miles it will be counting up in miles!!

Unless it has just had a new dial put in.

When was it first imported, if it's had 2 previous keepers in the UK you should have a fair bit of service history??
Old 04 September 2001, 06:04 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alex,
theres nothing at all wrong with having the milage in KM's and a speedo that maxes out at 110.
A large proportion of early imports are like this, hopefully if its still restricted (which it looks like it is) then no one will have track day'd it.
Mine and some mates have early WRX's exactly like that and they are v-solid and good buys.
See if you can haggle the price and get a warranty thrown in, remember 92,000km = 57,000 Miles, its just getting run in nicely !!!
good luck
Dan
Old 04 September 2001, 11:23 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Shimster

I have 94 WRX also. Imported into Cyprus and I bought it second hand there. No log books due to Jap perpensity for computer data. However, I have a file full of invoices (some in japanese!) for all the work done.
My speedo is in KPH and is clocking up Km's.
I see no need to change it, as you soon get used to reading of the equivalent MPH for the GATSO's!

My car is completely std. No mods at all.
I much prefer this as I know that nothing was tinkered with by amateurs.

Don't expect great luxury from this model. To be honest it's a little more 'pure' because of it.

Unless you owned it from new (or new the guy who did) then ALL paperwork and salesman patter is suspect.

Go on your gut feeleing mate after a good drive. If it sounds OK, looks OK, drives ok then... pause ..... and go for a AA or similar check of the car, both physical and HPI checked (or someone who knows his stuff). Should cost about £80? Good peace of mind. If they both pass and your still happy, go for it.

The car IS worth it (at a good price of course)

No great earth shattering advice. But a bit of common sense. Come along to the Watford (or any other meet) and chat with the boys. Your bound to see your version there. Good comparison, if someones happy to take you out for a spin.

Hope this helps.

Al.