Sponsored by:

READ THIS For Sale -- Bad Experience !!

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2002, 08:47 AM
555 SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have been away from the Scooby Scene for 12 months and was rather excited to have the opportunity to buy another, albeit a 6.5k one although beggars cannot be choosers!!

I contacted someone from Scoobynet via a for sale advert, and agreed over the phone to purchase his car for cash subject to checking it over. A gentleman's agreement was made including E mail exchanges to confirm that I had first refusal, contact was maintained over the following two/three days when I was actually able to view the car.

I then asked a friend to give me some help with the viewing and paid for an expert to accompany me [ I know little about vehicle mechanics].

Yesterday we all set out and re- contacted the seller giving our exact arrival time to his house, which incidentally was 2.5 hrs drive.

On reaching the destination I again telephoned the seller,[ he told me to ring as his house was difficult to locate. He said he would meet me and then we would go to his house.]

On ringing him I was told that the vehicle was sold as he had another buyer with him and I should have known it was first come first served [ even though he had E mailed me saying exactly the opposite and spoke to me on the phone only 3 hrs previously !! ]

We had to stop the car and turn back home, this messed up the weekend for three people [ the engineer in question had already had grief from his wife for coming in the first place !!]

Has Scoobynet really got this bad, surely some decent people still exist, have others had a similar experience ???

I must say I thought the seller sounded 100 % genuine before this experience, it just shows how wrong you can be.

Yours still without a Scooby and damn right P****d off !!

Paul
Old 13 October 2002, 09:11 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sometimes m8 people just don't care ... best to do is name and shame at least other people can avoid them !

Good luck with finding something in the future

Dave.
Old 13 October 2002, 09:13 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
exact same thing happened to me this year, including countless mails etc, only i drove 250 miles each way. It just seems the nature of the world we live in these days, people arent honest and dont think twice about messing you about.

In the whole, scoobynet people are reliable i have found, but every so often you will come accross a bad experience, it's no diferent from any other aspect of life.

It worked out best for me, although at the time i was furious about it. I ended up with a much better car for less money, i got lucky.
Old 13 October 2002, 12:41 PM
max speed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Theres hundreds of scoobys out there m8 & one has got your name on it! there has bin some nice ones on here lateley so keep looking!
Old 13 October 2002, 03:03 PM
555 SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Old 13 October 2002, 03:51 PM
PRT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I can put a little positve note to this post...
I live in Canada (not too close from you guys!!) and bought some Stuff from your classified section!! Even thought it was bit complicated for shipping (10 mag wheels)and arranging for payment, Mr RallyCollin didn't choke me!!! He managed to find enough boxes and time to deliver them to FedEx so I could have them sent on my account...
So big thanks to Collin, and I'm sorry for you 555_Scooby.. I hate when this happens to me!!! Some people are just... Grrrr!

Nick
from across the pund!!
Old 13 October 2002, 04:34 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You get people just using the board to sell there cars m8
Old 13 October 2002, 05:13 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
name and shame!
Old 13 October 2002, 05:22 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
totally indicitive of the world we now live in!
catch phrase I'M ALRIGHT MATE, STUFF YOU

i get it from the other side (trade) and you wouldn't believe how long it takes for someone to pop to the local bank to get a deposit and come straight back (longest is 3yrs 28days and counting!!!!!!!!!)

like others have said name & shame

on a brighter note try name & praise for those helping you out!!
Old 13 October 2002, 05:51 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Yep name the Tw*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 October 2002, 06:13 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

same as wot someone else said. you get people using this board just to sell their car. have a look at the number of post they have made, if they are selling it gives you a good idea if they are a scoobynetter.

Ray
Old 13 October 2002, 06:32 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

PRT -

See my post in http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139528 - interested to hear from you off the Board!

Phil Harrison
Old 13 October 2002, 06:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
The number of posts means nothing when it comes to selling in my experience. The Guy i was buying off who let me down was a regular. The guy i ended up buying my STi from had no posts on this BBS before the ad was placed.

The majority of people on the BBS and in the real world are OK, you just dont know though and sometimes you come accross people who on the face of it are OK but when it comes to the crunch, are a complete waste of space.

I have bought many times from people on the BBS and only had the one bad experience.
Old 13 October 2002, 06:49 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sorry to hear about this.. There are so many different types here on Scoobynet.

3. weeks ago <I arranged to buy a computer of a Moderator on "Scoobynet". I am in London he is in Wales.... After a few calls and emails I arranged time to go and buy it. No problems and I am very happy with the deal.( Cheers Sammy)I have sold and bought Car Hi-fi and never had a problem also from members.

But theres always one....Isnt there Simon.."ZZR" who dont like paying...

Still let the other guy offer his reasons..... Does he remember giving you first refusal???What proof do you have.

Maybe you are Lucky..Krap stuff is normaly sold by Krap people..
Old 13 October 2002, 07:02 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

for £6.5k you can have my 93 wrx

Old 13 October 2002, 08:15 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Not taking sides and don't either buyer or seller > anti flame quote

Did you think about leaving a refundable Deposit if car as not mechanically sound. As the Seller had no firm commitment from you bar verbal over the phone would you as a seller, stop either potential buyers viewing or buying. "A bird in the hand" Etc.

I've have been in situations Where buyer promises and never to return...... Dodgy cheques .... Tyre kickers and Test pilots with mechanic mates who condem every thing in sight to cover his *** and try to drive price down The car isn't sold till the cash is in your hand.

Tony

Ps, I have sent thing out sold on Scoobynet before I recieved the Cheque and vice versa when i bought stuff perhaps a trustful optimist

Old 13 October 2002, 09:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If you know you've got someone coming to view the car at a certain time etc. you should let other potential buyers know and say you'll let them know what happens, especially if someone is travelling a fair old way.
Old 13 October 2002, 10:27 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

I made the trip from Sunny Berkshire to gloomy Aberdean to buy the Legacy, had no problems

Bought 4-pots from up north somewhere...arranged for a friend to collect, also no problems

Bought a flywheel,(in a pub car park:d) no problems
Old 14 October 2002, 01:01 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

think enough is said that people like this, but it doesn't take much to be a scooby regular, about 10 posts does it don't it?
Old 14 October 2002, 07:53 AM
555 SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thank you all for your responses, I am starting to calm down [ a bit !!]

By all means keep the thread going, I think it is important to help one another out with open forums.

Nice to see guys from across the water joining in !!

Take care all

555 Scooby
Old 14 October 2002, 08:27 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Name and shame! I agree lets put the spotlight on the people who do this kind of thing!

At least then if they sell much else people will think twice about buying from them. Luckily enough not had this happen to me yet!

You'll find your perfect scooby 555, time is all it takes
Old 14 October 2002, 10:23 AM
wilko999
Scooby Regular

I've never had any problems either, bought a spoiler from Christian R in Jersey, came packed up really well and arrived in A1 Condition after being on a plane and in a several vans etc.

Old 14 October 2002, 10:32 AM
edge crusher
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Whats the deal?
Do u have no lives? it's time to leave kiddy school and act like grown ups. so what if u didn't get the car! the seller had every right to sell the car to sum1 else, gentle men's agreements mean jack in the real world boys and girls. are u people even old enough to drive yet or are you sad 15 year olds that get hard ons over cars you'l never be able to afford and want to join in the discussion to sound like a big boy that has a clue. give the guy a break.
Get off the PC, throw away ur copies of max power, move out of ur parents house and get lives. theres more to life than cars u kno, u should be working on ur next big thing in life like hitting puberty and growing up.

Old 14 October 2002, 10:35 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

bet that's him!

Think my ***** have dropped!

1st post?
Old 14 October 2002, 10:39 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u should be working on ur next big thing in life like hitting puberty and growing up.
hmm, yes indeed.
Old 14 October 2002, 10:40 AM
edge crusher
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Actually ive never met the bloke but i bet he's in big boy clothes by now and actually has ***** to drop unlike u who'l have to wait a few more years befor u even get hairs on them.
Old 14 October 2002, 10:43 AM
woodster1
Scooby Regular

Hi there all...

Well I think it's time for me to respond!

First I am sorry for the grief that Scooby 555 encountered but before we go any further I feel I need to state my case...

My car has been for sale for almost a month now on both Scoobynet and in Autotrader. I have had lot's of interested parties but have been let down 3 times at the last min either due to finances or other reasons. This as a seller of course annoyed me but I feel I am mature enough to realise that these things happen when selling a car.
This week was my second week in auto trader and I had more enquiries. I also had Scooby 555 interested. He told me that the maximum he could give me for the car was £6500. Fair enough we agreed to meet on Sat for his inital viewing.
On Thursday evening a guy from Portmoth called asking he he could view the car on sat. I told him that Scooby 555 was coming first and had offered me £6500. He told me that he would be offering about the same. I left it with him that he could view the car later in the day if not sold. He told me he would confirm a time on Friday eve. (I e-mailed scooby 555 to tell him of this development).
Friday evening came and no one rang (later I found my 2 year old daugher had taken the phone off the hook)
Sat morning at 8am scooby 555 rang to confirm he was still coming to view the car, I told him that was fine.
I then happened to pop out and my wife took another call from the guy from portmoth. She explained that someone else was coming to see the car at 1. He told my wife that he had just viewed a car in essex which was no good and wanted to come and view mine. She said this would be OK. She also recieved 2 other phone calls but told these people that I would get back to them after scooby 555 had viewed the car.
I arrived home and my wife told me what was happening. I told her I was not happy and felt bad for Scooby 555 (i tried to ring scooby 555). I phoned some friends for advice and they all said to see what happened and that as Scooby 555 had not yet viewed the car to see what happened with the portsmoth buyer. I decided that I would not sell it to him unless of course he made me a better offer.
The portmoth guy arrived at 12.00 and examined the car. We went for a test drive and he was very happy. I explained to him about the situation and that I felt very bad about Scooby 555. He came inside and looked through the history of the car. He was happy with the history and went away for a chat with his father who had traveled with him. He came back and told me he wanted the car and was prepared to give me an extra £200 to secure it. I still felt guily (and if he's on line he may tell you that that is the truth). I tried to phone scooby 555 again but had no joy. I started to write the recipts and then the phone went. It was Scooby 555. I explained to him the situation, appologised but explained that this guy had viewed the car, had a deposit, was offering me £200 extra and that it was sold. Scooby then told me that he could possibly match that amount or better it. He asked if he could still come and view the car. I said yes but I had already written a recipt so it was to late. I also felt guilty towards the other buyer who has been a subaru enthusiast all his life and was over the moon to be buying the car.
I ask you...if you have a definate sale, at a better price would you say no? I have a family to support and was only selling the car due to my second child on the way. I needed to sell the car to decorate the babys room. Also Scooby 555 had not yet viewed the car and may have turned me down. Also scooby 555 had told me the appsolute max he could afford was £6500.

Once again I appologise to 555 for letting him down but I'm sorry my family come first. I have been let down when buying and selling cars before but that's life.

I hope 555 finds a car soon and it is what he is after. Judging from all the ads on here it shouldn't take long.

Fianally as to the sort of person I am, I have had lots of other deals on hear buying wheels, seats, spoilers and other bits and have never let anyone down.

Thank you scooby net for an excellent rsource.

Old 14 October 2002, 10:44 AM
Roadkill7537
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Do you people even know this man????? I do and have done for about two years and he is a top bloke. What if you had got there and he had refused the sale to the other buyers and you decided that the car wasnt for you????? He happens to have his 2nd kiddie on the way and so needed the money and so an offer came up that was better than yours and he took it. honestly who wouldnt have done the same? i know i certainly would have if i needed the money. And what exactly is a gentlemans agreement ive been stiched up in the past but have never thought to have a hissy fit over it!
Old 14 October 2002, 10:56 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Woodster,

Thanks for coming on and putting the story up, most people wouldn't of bothered. I can now feel for both sides and can understand why you sold and why 555 is upset.

PS I fully understand ... Family always come first ! I would have made the same call myself !

This seems to be one of them things that happen in life !

I hope 555 can understand the situation, you seem to have accepted the issue and are sorry.

edge crusher,

Just clear off trying to stir it. Some wanted to vent and now somebody has explained in a mature way rather than your childish view on life. You talk about everybody else having to reach puberty, but you seem a long way off it yourself.

Roadkill7537,

Another first post. Let everbyody read the story before you go off on one. Now I have read it I understand it and think it was a fair judgement call. Give us chance as you only posted 1 min after !.

Dave.

Edited to add PS

[Edited by DemonDave - 10/14/2002 10:58:05 AM]
Old 14 October 2002, 11:17 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon, and start slating people, but IMHO I think it was wrong not to at least let 555 view the car first. Simply because you had agreed to.

I appreciate that when you're trying to sell something buyers can be a lot like buses (3 at once etc), but you have to lay down guidlines, and stick to them. Unfortunately, that inveriably means you'll be let down but, personally, I believe you have to have principles. If it's a free for all/first come first served deal, then make sure everyone knows that.

I'm sure many of us have been on one side of this situation at some time or another, whether it's over car, a house or even a fridge. However, I think you have to consider how you'd feel if someone had done the same to you.

This is not solely aimed at Woodster, who admittedly found himself in an difficult position, but at the increasing amount of people who do this deliberately, rather than as a result of circumstances, as appears to have happened here.

Josh

Quick Reply: READ THIS For Sale -- Bad Experience !!