Sponsored by:

Thieving Scum

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 07:58 AM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Went to fill up the scoob last night and my debit card was refused, which I thought was strange.
Did an online enquiry and I was showing overdrawn, which I shouldnt be, but the transactions on there were OK.

Got up @ 6:30 this morning worrying about it, checked online again and there are loads of transactions that arent mine
Called the bank, and there are more transactions waiting to go through. The card is now stopped, though its not much use at its up to my overdraft anyway.

It looks like some scum has got hold of my card details,and made a copy and gone on a spending spree, I think they have spent around £3000, the b*st&$ds.

I have to go to he bank this morning and fill in a form, meanwhile Ive got no cash, only credit cards.

My card has not left me, so someone has got my number and made up a fake card. I bought some goods over the net last week from a website someone recommended on here (wont say who, as it may be nothing to do with this), but I have three questions:
(i) Has this happened to anyone else?
(ii) Will I get the money back? (Im in the s*&t if I dont)
(iii) How long will it take to sort out this mess

God I am mad
Old 04 September 2001, 08:10 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MarkWRX:
<B>...someone has got my number and made up a fake card. I bought some goods over the net last week from a website someone recommended on here (wont say who, as it may be nothing to do with this)...[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, a few questions:

1. Do you have a Firewall on the PC that you bought the goods from?

If not ( ), you need to get one ASAP, probably worth wiping your hard drive and doing a completely fresh install, followed by a good Firewall before connecting to the 'net. (Norton or ZoneAlarm are good ones )

2. If you have a Firewall, does it have content blocking ( to stop websites from "extracting" information about you off your computer ). I use Norton Firewall and you would not believe how often I find ad sites in particular attempting to "extract" personal details ( Credit Card details in particular ) from my machine whilst surfing some other site that has an ad banner. I don't know if ZoneAlarm has this feature or not.

3. Was the site a secure one?

It may have nothing to do with your online purchasing anyway, this kind of fraud was already rife, long before Web purchasing was invented

Sorry M8,

Matt
Old 04 September 2001, 08:26 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing happen but it was a new card getting nicked from the postal sorting office. Apparently it will cost them more to put a photograph on all the cards than it does to cover the cost of stolen or cloned cards.
Yours could have been double swiped and cloned in a dodgy petrol staion or something like that.
You'll get your money back don't worry about that.
It's s violation when you think some f**ker has spent your hard earned cash like it's going out of fashion.
You could have been standing next to them in the supermarket when they were doing it.
I doubt it was off the internet.
Old 04 September 2001, 08:59 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear about that - I had the same thing when a COMPANY(!) used my bank details to book tickets on Eurostar (nearly £600!!!)

Bank were very apologetic (gobsmacked! I thought they'd be really ar$ey!! ), paid back the money and it was all sorted out...

My lesson learnt is that I've got an 'Internet Friendly' credit card (like Egg), and I only use that on the PC.

You won't get around people stealing card numbers (just do a search for credit card number generators!!) - I've resorted to just using cheques, or plain old dosh....

If I could go back to the bartering system I would. Imagine paying for petrol with 3 chickens and a bunch of carrots!!

Hope it's all sorted out soon

Dan
Old 04 September 2001, 09:17 AM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

Best bet is to use a credit rather than debit card for online purchases. As said above an EGG card for example. At least then you have insurance against this sort of thing, and it isn't your actual cash that is being spent.
Old 04 September 2001, 10:39 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

SWOLL: Seconded. I only ever use my Switch card to withdraw cash from ATMs. Everything else I do on the credit card.

It's much easier to refuse to pay a credit card transaction than it is to get back money that's left your bank account.

MarkWRX: Sorry about your problem mate, let us know how you get on.
Old 04 September 2001, 11:40 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

What was the web site, if I may ask?

Matt
Old 04 September 2001, 04:27 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

happened to me in Spain while down there to watch the Catuluya rally 3 years ago. did not loose the credit card so someone must have copied it. mainly used it for petrol. £2500 was spent on it including £1200 from a car shop and 2 lots of £500 in a bar !. when I got back there was a letter from Barclaycard saying are these transactions yours. I told them no and did not loose any money myself through it. happened again a year later when somebody paid their mobile phone bill, again Barclaycard caught it, again I still had my card and did not suffer financially myself. not had any more since
Michael
Old 04 September 2001, 05:22 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Angry

matt, cheers I have got firewall set up

scoobydoo,SWOLL, I have an egg card, but stupidly used my DD card on the internet. Obviously wasnt thinking.

Went to the bank and filled in the forms etc, they told me I will get it back , but you cant be sure 'till its there.
Had to report it to the police, who were helpful as were the bank

Turns out that over 2 days the to$$ers used the card about 25 times with progressively bigger transactions, one was over a grand. They spent all I had, plus up to my overdraft limit, then an extra £600+ for good measure.They seem to all be in shops, petrol garages and off licenses so far.

Hopefully, with dates and times of transactions in each shop, they can get CCTV tapes to try to identify them. Question is how much effort will be put in to finding them? They wont have just made one card, so catching the person responsible would probably solve a lot of fraud.
Even though it looks like I get my cash back, I still would like the b@$t@rds caught!!!

Cheers for your replies.

Still mad
Old 04 September 2001, 05:57 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Angry

Almost certainly the card was cloned without you knowing about it, but probably not over the internet. A mate of mine was recently contacted by his bank to ask why he was spending money in the UK and in the USA, on the same day, IN PERSON!

Someone over there had obviously used contacts over here to clone the card and was using in personal transactions in shops! He's never shopped online, or even been to the States!

Nightmare!

Steve
Old 04 September 2001, 09:58 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Something similar happened to someone I know, the police reckoned the most common way of obtaining card details was from receipts dropped in petrol station fore courts, so don't go stuffing them in the door pocket and letting them blow away.