Sponsored by:

Clutch judder

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2002, 09:28 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Wanted to guage some honest opinions regarding clutch judder. I've not taken the Scooby plunge yet, not been to the dealer to talk MY03 so far because I'm assuming they woiuld just push a discounted MY02 (which I have no problem with but I'm in no hurry and happy to wait).

Anyway, I see a lot of references to clutch judder on WRX's (and I remember passengering in an Imprexa Turbo many years ago which had the same problem).

Firstly, is this a problem that really only affects cars that are traffic light raced i.e. big revs and drop the clutch and track days cars that are hammered (and rightly so) or does it affect them all at some point.

My main reason for asking is that this is a 'opt-out' company car which will (sadly) mainly see motorway action so lots of stop-start on the M6 and M60....and doing upto 25,000 miles a year I don't want to change the clutch every 18 months or so.

Thanks.
Old 09 October 2002, 09:33 AM
WhiteSTi3
Scooby Regular

Hiya m8,

I cover approx 20-40K with my Scoob (Company Car Allowance) & Noooo judder yet, car has done 52K on same clutch! (& yes I do drive it hard when not on m/way :-)
Old 09 October 2002, 09:35 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

From what I have seen and noted, to be perfectly honest, the less a scooby gets a "bit of stick" in the clutch dept, the worse the clutch judder problems seem to grow. A gently used clutch seems to play up more then one "used averagely". Many people tend to let the clutch out too quickly and this tends not to allow for the lining to take up the drive and "slip/wear". So the flywheel takes the brunt of heatsoak and thus deforms giving high spots, causing judder.
Sorry but majority of clutch problems are down to operator error, so down to you to use a clutch properly or cause problems. Yes, scooby clutches are very "tempremental" but not always warrantable it seems from past thoughts on this matter.
Old 09 October 2002, 09:35 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

My wagon MY99 has fairly bad clutch judder when cold - I don't know why a cold engine should make a difference but it does - after a few miles I have no problem with it.

I took it to the dealer but of course the judder was gone, also an element of "they all do that sir" maybe so but they shouldn't [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway I don't find it too bad but it is embarassing when I have a passenger they probably thing I drive like a Tosser
Old 09 October 2002, 01:56 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit hit a miss as to whether your clutch judders - don't hear these much with other manufacturers, surely Subaru should get it sorted at the factory and uprate the clutch plate or where ever the problem is.
Old 09 October 2002, 02:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Angry

3rd clutch fitted 2 months ago on MY99 and judders like a juddery thing.

Previous one didn't, so I guess you just take your chances
Old 09 October 2002, 02:50 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sipie - 3rd clutch on a MY99 ?! My MY99 is on original clutch with 59k on. What mileages did yours go at ? How would you class your drivin ? (tryin to guage when mine will go).

Mind if I ask how much to replace ?
Old 09 October 2002, 03:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Riftzone

Car's just turned 82k and the previous owner had replacements at 23k (replaced under warranty due to excessive judder I believe),
54k (normal wear) and my gearbox blew at 77k so checked the clutch and it seemed prudent to do another one when the box was being replaced.

I would say my driving is 'spirited' but admittedly calmed a little since the gearbox replacement (ouch), a few standing starts soon after buying the car probably didn't help at all. A lot of stop start heavy traffic commuting stuff too and the previous owner was nearly all motorway miles.

The clutch was fitted free but parts alone cost just under £400 from memory (tend to avoid looking too closely at that invoice from Nobles as the £1600 bill still smoulders the VISA!!!!). Think with labour it's circa £600.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Old 09 October 2002, 04:28 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

I've just had the ok for a second warranty claim for a juddery clutch (MY00). The first lasted 16000 the second 8000 miles.

As is usually the case the problem is only obvious on cold / damp mornings, once warmed up everything is ok. Previous clutch plate showed no signs of wear and didn't appear to be warped so you can forget the idea of it being misused or being poor clutch operation!! In 30 old years of driving it's the only car I've had to change a clutch on, the problem seams to lie in the lining material.

It appears Subaru are about to do something about the problem as I'm told a new kit is going to be available for fitting from the end of the month, I'll let you know how it shapes up.

Jon
Old 09 October 2002, 05:28 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

My Sport does it quite often from cold...

just live with it.
Old 09 October 2002, 06:02 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It appears Subaru are about to do something about the problem as I'm told a new kit is going to be available for fitting from the end of the month
I had the "new kit" fitted last month and it was like getting a new car back
No more judder and the new clutch seemed lighter with a higher biting point.

Paul
Old 09 October 2002, 06:56 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Angry

They all do it sir...
- so I was told.

To be fair, mine does it only when cold.
Old 09 October 2002, 08:22 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Paul,

It's good to hear somebody has had some success with the replacement. Do you reckon demand has been so high for the new kit that the dealers 'down south' have run out or was Scotland leading the way again?

Jon
Old 10 October 2002, 12:45 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Not sure Jon but the service manager told me it was a new kit specifically for the new age WRX.
They used to order in individual components to make up a clutch kit but now it comes as a complete assembly (pressure plate, clutch, flywheel and release bearings) to ensure a good match up of all the parts.

It took persistance to get it replaced again but I took the stance that i've bought two new UK Imprezas and expect IM to be sympathetic to any warranty issues as they effectively took £,000s for the "solid gold" UK warranty.

Paul