Sponsored by:

SIDC Track Days V Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 10:09 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why not write to IM on mass and ask for a definate answer?

David

[Edited by Shark - 10/8/2002 10:26:38 AM]
Old 08 October 2002, 08:51 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Question

Do we have a definate "Yeh or Neh" from IM as to whether track day attendance constitutes invalidating the 3 year Subaru warrenty?

When i bought my car, i was sold on the idea of track days by my dealer.... only to be told after i bought it that if i did a track day, I'd invalidate my warrenty (i'd asked them what they thought i'd need doing before i went - brakes etc)!!!

I'm getting the urge more and more to go - but i got a PPP in order to keep the warrenty - and with 1.5 years left i can't see the point of waisting it for an afternoons fun.

Has anyone got any "official" information on this one - or is it still as vague as it always has been?

Cheers,

Jza
Old 08 October 2002, 08:52 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Just remove your plates.
Old 08 October 2002, 08:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Davyboy has a point and do not talk to strangers either.

Unless you have a letter from IM stating that track days do not affect warranty then i would be careful, cannot se why SIDC track days would be any different to any other only more likely to be a snoop or two from Subaru.
Old 08 October 2002, 08:58 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Jza.

I asked the very same question on the SIDC BBS. I wanted the SIDC to ask for clarification from Subaru regarding trackdays and warranties.

As far as I know, Subaru were'nt asked. BUT there was some useful info put up on the post, that should provide some guidelines.
http://forums.sidc.co.uk/messageview...&threadid=1764
Old 08 October 2002, 08:59 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note - I dont mean to say that SIDC track days are any different to other track days - just that i'd only go on SIDC track days as im a member (narf narf)!!!

Jza
Old 08 October 2002, 09:06 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Jza

There is not a definitive answer to this.

The long and short is that the warranty booklet wording does not exclude a track day, as it is not a timed event, racing or rallying. I have spoken to Subaru UK staff who said they would look dimly on a claim that was directly attributable to abuse on a track, eg warped discs, but felt that our track days were well run and it was good that we were able to enjoy our cars in the safety of a track environment.

The conversation was off the record and is not an "official line".

If in any doubt whatsoever, remove your plates first.

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2002, 09:11 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Shame Subaru will not come clean on this issue, i am sure there are other manufacturers tha are the same mind.
Old 08 October 2002, 09:17 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Thanks for clearing that up pete. Looks like suspicion and subterfuge are the way to go
Old 08 October 2002, 09:43 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The VIN number is also on your windows, certainly from the '01 onwards.

If someone is going to go to the trouble of noting registrations, it's only one small step further to photograph VIN numbers in the pitlane in the lunch hour under the guise of "taking a pic of a nice car".......
Old 08 October 2002, 10:02 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Talking

... but felt that our track days were well run and it was good that we were able to enjoy our cars in the safety of a track environment.
Pete - does this fit with your comments in True Grip regarding the covert mission to Donno ? Perhaps you could expand.
Old 08 October 2002, 10:21 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I still can't believe how IM act over this.

No matter what's in the book regarding racing/time trials etc voiding the warranty and that SIDC days are "driver development" I think IM will just use the term "abuse and misuse".

Totally sucks - Prodrive do loads of demos on tracks and we can only assume the warranties on their cars are still valid.

Their stance on this removes the only argument for buying a Euro import over UK - and more fool them.

Companies as arrogant as this get their come uppance sooner or later.
Old 08 October 2002, 10:33 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another reason to buy a Euro Import, or are Benelux Scooby people checking as well
Old 08 October 2002, 10:33 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I think that if we "force" their hand by demanding an answer, then we take the risk of having a very tightly worded guideline that will in essence rule out trackdays.

At the moment it appears that their silence indicates tacit acceptance of the fact that scooby owners drive on trackdays & cover them for the most part on warranty related issues - it is only when someone exceeds the boundaries that they find it necessary to take action. Why define the boundaries 'cos ATM they seem sensibly relaxed IMHO

My trackday antics are well know but when I claimed for f/n/s wheel bearings - which could be construed as possible trackday misuse - they honoured the claim.

Don't push it is my recommendation.

Old 08 October 2002, 10:43 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

A bit unrelated but . .

I found out last week that insurance companies send "reps" to bike trackdays noting Reg Nos and taking piccies of bikes for insurance companies a neigbor dropped his bike at Donnington on a trackday and for what ever reason he put a claim in only to get a reply with a photo of him at Donnington on the sameday with his damaged bike and they won't pay ... they are now even threatening legal action against him for a fraudulant claim ...

He ignored sound advice to remove ALL markings before he went out on track .. if insurance companies send "reps" out to bike trackdays do they send them to other trackdays ??

Kev
Old 08 October 2002, 11:26 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

PTMW -

Neil, I also asked this question on the SIDC site (sorry missed your one). Here's mine
(it's in the member's area though so maybe not everyone will be able to view it).

Also, in this thread, X2WRX said ...

My stance on warranty, re track days and on imports is clearly stated on page 2.
... but the only reference I can find says ...

I do do track days and actively encourage my customers to do track days to get the best out of their cars and learn to use them in a safe and controlled enviroment.
I do not tell IM when customers cars are modified and invalidate their warranty. (whats the point)
Ian - it might be interesting to get some further views from you here.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:32 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, if you stuff your car/bike on track and your policy excludes track use, then you try claim, you should be done for fraud, because that is what it is if you dont state the correct location of the crash.

If the guy told the truth about where the crash occured he cant be done for fraud, his claim can be refused of course.

This is why i had a road/track cover policy on the westie and when taking the scoob on track i take out seperate cover for the day.

I think there needs to be a clear indication from IM about what is and isnt covered if you take your car on track. It's no good going on track not knowing what risks you are taking, just imagine blowing your engine then having a claim refused for repair, some people just cant afford that and would be best off not doing track days rather than sticking their head in the sand and hoping they will be OK.

Old 08 October 2002, 12:45 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

I'm with Puff on this one. Don't push it or you'll get an answer you won't like.

If you are worried about warranty then don't take your car on track - simple.

Just leave it ambiguous and find a sympathetic dealer, but be prepared to cough up if it all goes wrong.

F
Old 08 October 2002, 01:23 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

If you are taking your number plates off to hide your identity might be worth taking out your tax disc as well...
Old 09 October 2002, 07:57 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shall I paint my car a different colour aswell and i suppose i'd better wear a mask and not talk to anyone else either!!

On a track day, whats the worst that can happen? You write your car off, did you have track day insurance? probably not up to the amount needed to replace your car. Loads of ££££££££ to sort out

You are on track and a wheel bearing goes, try claim on warranty and a dealer says sorry mate, you've been on track (Unlikley i know) it costs you £70 + VAT and Labour. An expense yes but not the end of the world. Lets say you blow the engine, £3,000 max to get a new one fitted. Still cheaper than writing the car off.

IMHO Trackday insurance, normal insurance, guarantees,warranties etc are all a huge money making scams and if you decide to play their games with it all, you will be disapointed (Unless you are one of the lucky ones)

My experience incedentally which has taught me this was taking my car to the dealer because the passenger window was not working. "Sorry Mike, you've had your windows tinted so that means that we can't touch it"!!!! Took the car to an Independent who fixed it in about 5 mins. It transpired that it was NOT the fault of the Tinting company, it was a faulty SUBARU part. Warranties, pah, not worth the paper they are written on in most instances so IMHO not worth denying yourself the enjoyment of the car, incase they won't fix a bearing, fan, clutch etc.

Mikey
Old 09 October 2002, 09:24 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

I would strongly suggest swopping number plates with one with your first name or "nickname on",looks good in piccies then, plus, remove tax disc and/or hide screen visible vin if applicable.
I know it sounds silly, but it is the only way that is easily performed to stop unwanted visitors from taking data from cars.
Dont forget, "as your mummy said- Dont talk to strangers"! Especially ones with camera's!
Old 09 October 2002, 11:28 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Or you could buy yourself an Import and tell IM to **** off!

I disagree with you on this Mikey, take out track day insurance, it's not expensive really, i was covered for 11K last saturday for £100. I have been driving on track almost 10 years, never had a shunt yet, that doesnt stop some idiot losing it and wiping me out though!
Old 09 October 2002, 01:36 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just read my post back John and yes I see what you mean It was early though

Mikey
Old 09 October 2002, 02:06 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

You could always get a list of IM press cars reg plates and get dummy plates made up for track use lol.

I wouldn't do this and it's a stupid thought
Old 09 October 2002, 02:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Even better, put that reg on an Import STi5 that would confuse the *******s.

No worries Mikey! I dont do mornings myself, but you know that!
Old 09 October 2002, 02:54 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

John,

Cool grey 4 doors and sonic blue type Rs especially - can see the confused looks on their faces now....
Old 11 October 2002, 01:17 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

So cloak and dagger is the only way forward.

Don't you think that the SIDC should inform ANYONE attending their track days that IM MAY invalidate their warrenty if they are spotted - so cover up their identities??

Jza