Sponsored by:

norris equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 10:43 PM
kingjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Is there a mad scooby out there that will be an equal to the massive "norris design evo 5" as it truely is awsome!! Surely their is a tuning company with 450-550 bhp of snorting horses under the fantastic scooby bonet. Cos i for would love to see it,as watching the evo, on the rally day, at castle coombe this year was something . It's a must for some one..................
Old 07 October 2002, 10:48 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For someone, yes I am quite sure it is.
Old 07 October 2002, 11:03 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

In fairness ChristianR car looks like it might give it a serious run for it's money.....Apparantly his 2.5 is putting out about 390 BHP at 0.9 bar Hmmm, bring on the boost

Cheers Phill C

PS Have seen a few 350 BHP examples and they are very fast IMHO
Old 08 October 2002, 12:41 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You may think a 350bhp car is very fast. But if thats what you see as fast, then it makes the Norris Evo very very very very very fast.
It is quite quick, and I havent yet heard of any subarus in the UK to match/beat it.
Yet, I said.
Old 08 October 2002, 08:18 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh yes, I know what you mean. I saw the Norris car at Rally day and it's was so fast you wouldn't believe it. There's in car footage of him going past a few cars and it's simply madness

Cheers Phill C
Old 08 October 2002, 08:24 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Talking

It should be bloody fast given the money it has had spent on it. Still chews up rear diffs though
Old 08 October 2002, 08:28 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

....It has too much power if it keeps messing up diffs?
Old 08 October 2002, 10:13 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh the irony....
Old 08 October 2002, 11:13 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some fast cars with power and TORQUE to match... all I can say is watch this space... I am going to be building a new engine soon.. and I will be doing it on a semi budget... but need to decide what I want first.. and aquire bits...

David
Old 08 October 2002, 11:15 AM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Norris designs are working on a diff to cope with the power or they have one I believe.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:21 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Talking

David and you will save a lot of money due to doing most of the labour yourself!! lucky sod!
Old 08 October 2002, 11:43 AM
uxg
Scooby Regular

I have seen some very big power Scoobies on the net from tuning companies in Australia and Japan. The two Jun Scoobie's are one's that immediately spring to mind. How does 580ps and a top speed of around 310 kph sound?

With the Scoobs already decent power to weight ratio (well the classic shapes anyway ) that should be enough to scare the Norris

Hopefully it won't be too long before this kind of tuning is available over here.

http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/gc8/index.html?en
Old 08 October 2002, 11:59 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

there are scoobs in the UK with as much power as Norris has, they just dont want it in the public domain for their own reasons.
Old 08 October 2002, 12:19 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cant see the fun in tunning a car to destruction, for one it costs and you end up having to walk everywhere
Old 08 October 2002, 12:44 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

There are a couple of Scoobs wih big power (450+) in the UK that I know of. However, I'm sure the owners don't post to ScoobyNet or anywhere else for obvious reasons.
Old 08 October 2002, 12:59 PM
C
Scooby Regular

There are one or two cars out there which are equal to if not more powerfull than the Norris Designs Evo.

As others have mentioned they do not with to publicise figures on the board..... yet

The Norris car cheats anyway, the engine was built for him by JUN in Japan and shipped over. The car is trailerd everywhere, runs on race fuel, and has his own mechanic team to keep the bloody thing on the road. Diff's are not the only thing that this car has a habit of eating...

Rumours are it very rarely is run on the high boost too...

Someone in a 350bhp scooby followed the ND Evo round a track and it was hardly pulling away even on the big straights, maybe partly technique, but as the driver said, there was no way that car was running nearly 600bhp on track.

To me, that somewhat defeats the object of doing it, if you can't run the car on the sort of power you want to, because you are in fear of it blowing up, why bother doing it in the first place.

The Rigoli cars In Auz are very impressive, as far as I am aware these are the most powerfull impreza's out there, but there are UK cars not very far behind.

I'm sure all will be revealed one day

Chris
Old 08 October 2002, 01:22 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
C I was having a similar conversation with trout yesterday...

Like I said watch this space..

As Far as you lot are concercerned (unless you know a few people that I do that have the higher powered cars.. and do post on scoobynet.) the most powerfull impreza in the uk is christianR's

Wait for him to run at well lane... And he's the only one that will publish his spec! (At the moment)

Oh and most powerfull doesnt mean fastest...

So who's got the most torque

David
Old 08 October 2002, 03:02 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

So with all the secrecy covering all the other mad Scoobies out there, what sort of power\spec is ChristianR running then? Are there any timed runs for his car as well i.e. 1/4 mile or track times?
Old 08 October 2002, 04:06 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol, this is great...... I can't wait to see one of these high powered monster Scoobies on the track, following all the Rally day EVOs (at Castle Coombe) driving like pr**ks.....

I bought a spare engine with the same thing planned, but I think I'll just watch all you boys and see Oh and well done for doing this to your cars

Cheers Phill C
Old 08 October 2002, 04:25 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

uxg

see http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=115898

Id say that its good for circa 600... mind you if he got an even bigger turbo..

David
Old 08 October 2002, 04:41 PM
Jez 200
Scooby Newbie

he Norris car cheats anyway, the engine was built for him by JUN in Japan and shipped over. The car is trailerd everywhere, runs on race fuel, and has his own mechanic team to keep the bloody thing on the road. Diff's are not the only thing that this car has a habit of eating...
Rumours are it very rarely is run on the high boost too...
Someone in a 350bhp scooby followed the ND Evo round a track and it was hardly pulling away even on the big straights, maybe partly technique, but as the driver said, there was no way that car was running nearly 600bhp on track.
er, i saw the engine being built last october as my 200sx was having a new engine built at the same time. His car does not run on race fuel , he drives it to work everyday (and to events) and it made 587hp on the dyno last month...check the latest copy of jap performance mag.
Old 08 October 2002, 04:43 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

All I can say is

Cheers Phill C
Old 08 October 2002, 05:06 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

David Wallis Thanks

That is a crazy spec sheet and 600bhp!!? Wow. Are there any recorded times for this beast?

Does anyone have any idea roughly how much a setup like this would cost?

Old 08 October 2002, 05:15 PM
PEGGY AT WORK
Scooby Regular

the parts for the engine are reported to owe him in the region of 30K.

I know Simon from old and I can say that it is misinformation that the engine was built in Japan. It has without doubht been built in the UK and was set up properly on an engine Dyno, not a rolling road.

And it is uesd as an every day car and driven to as many events as he can go to.
Old 08 October 2002, 05:23 PM
Scooby Regular

There is a slight difference in those with potential for xxx BHP, and those actually with it. The Norris Evo is bloody fast. There may be subarus around that do claim similar power. I have never heard of any in the UK. The australians are faster, but they dont really count, as they are in australia.
Hopefully over the coming year, a few subarus will appear, to challenge the skylines and ND cars. It would be even better to see it happen with some budget cars, rather than £50k+ cars.
DIY rules.....and it would be even better if it could be done with only 2.0, although a 2.5 would be a massive head start.
for those criticizing the Evo for breaking rear diffs, wise up. You cannot expect any car to handle that amount of power without failures, it does not make it a bad car in any respect. For those who say it has too much power..wise up, you can never have enough.
The more the merrier
Old 08 October 2002, 06:46 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Talking

and when the scoobys go to 500bhp...the evo's will go to 600bhp
Old 08 October 2002, 07:24 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
The ND car is certainly very quick, and it may be driven day to day, but it was certainly trailered to Elvington, and it was also running race gas.

I also believe it was trailered to Castle Coombe as well.

There's nothing wrong with this, but it's a little different to running a car tuned on pump fuel, and owned by someone who can't afford to replace two rear diff's a day, and have an enterage (sp) of mechanics.

For my money, Michaels legacy, and Andys Impreza are two of the most impressive Subarus around, based on £££ v performance.

Mark.

Old 08 October 2002, 07:38 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Just what I was about to say Mark!

He told me himself me himself he runs it on race fuel - it's the only way he can get it to run that sort of power.

David - IIRC it was Trout who was following the Norris Car and keeping up with him from a conversation I had with him a few months ago.

I know his engine was not built in the UK - it was the engine out of the JUN Super Lemon Evo 5 demo car, rebuilt to Simons spec before they went to the next level and built a 700bhp engine.

It's not just diff's he does - some more fundamental engine parts have consistently let go on that engine - look for long enough on the MLR and you will find out more details.

Yes, the spec & results are impressive but as far as I am aware it has only done this ONCE. When it can do this consistently I will be more impressed.

I'm not knocking his achievements, it's still very impressive, but it annoys me when it is rammed down your throat that nothing will touch it, its the best thing in the world, it's used every day, my granny could drive it etc, etc.

Christain's car as far as I am aware is 'officially' as he choses to publish his figs the most powerfull. However I know others have more powerfull cars, and others are building similar powered cars...

I'm sure all will be revealed one day

Chris

Old 08 October 2002, 07:53 PM
Scooby Regular

Of course its not the best thing in the world...its not a subaru. ( as stevie ducks flying objects )
Old 08 October 2002, 08:33 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

quote "and when the scoobys go to 500bhp...the evo's will go to 600bhp"

shunty

Quick Reply: norris equivalent