Sponsored by:

MY01 PPP Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2001, 09:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keo,
The car is still too tight for you to feel the performance gains properly it will get better though and if you dont have it fitted yet and your car has some miles under its belt you will be impressed when it is fitted to your car as i was when it was fitted to my MY00

Tony
Old 27 August 2001, 11:54 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

But Tony, you now have probably in excess of 200bhp/ton, compared with what 175-180ish for the 01, which is what the std 00 has. Aheemm.. Flame suit on. You can't hide the equivalent of two decent sized blokes sitting in your car, even if it does handle better and look "newer".

John - secretly jealous of UK300 with such a generous PWR for such a low low price! Not.
Old 27 August 2001, 12:08 PM
keo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I test drove a PPP'd MY01 over the weekend and must say that I was not that impressed with the performance. I was expecting a big transformation considering the cost of the package. There is no push in the back feel, its as progressive as the current cat. It should be noted however that the car had less than 100 miles on it.

Interestingly I had a 3 week break from my MY01 during which time it had its 7500 mile service. What a difference that appeared to make to the car, its now much more responsive and much better value than the PPP at a cost of just over £100. Is this purely psychological (not having the car for 3weeks) as all they did is change the oil & filter and add some fuel cleaner(??). Who cares, I had a bigger grin when I got my car back than I did in the PPP car. The dealer did reckon that WRX engine does take longer to loosen up than the older model cars.

The PPP exhaust system however is a different story. I absolutely loved the look and sound of it and it did not sound intrusive in the cabin. This I will for in some form or another. Apart from this the only aspect of the PPP worth mentioning is the way it down shifted. This appears a lot smoother and less stressful on the engine than on my car. Anybody care to comment why this may be the case or was I having another one of psycholigical turns.

I know alot of you are waiting anxiously for the PPP system but my recommendation is try before you buy, there are PPP demonstrators out there.

Anyway its late now, must go to bed, lights out.

Keo
Old 29 August 2001, 03:03 AM
DuggE
Scooby Regular

I get really sick of the 'old school' pre MY01's dissing the MY01............why can't we all just enjoy each others cars instead of having all these pathetic sarcastic comments all the time. Instead of honing in on the faults of the new car, why don't you consider the plus points (of which there are many!!)
Old 29 August 2001, 03:51 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would have to agree with you DuggE! Sometimes its reminds of my school days "My Dads bigger than your dad" etc...etc..!
Oh and my other gripe is the people who mock the Nova boys but spout off about their loud exhausts and bigger wheels and lowered suspension..........and the best one tinted glass !! I know saying about that something like 'pot kettle' !!
Old 29 August 2001, 06:01 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Really ? I disagree. I had a MY99 which I lost to a diesel/roundabout combo. When faced with the offer of a replacement MY01 I've said "no thanks" - the my01 is orrible imho. anyway don't want to raise that argument again

Anyway Dugg his comment was not a diss, nor a sarcastic put down, just a genuine fact that the old cars *were* the ones to have

keo..100 miles on the clock...nooooo.. I remember when I first got my scooby - thought it was pants. By the time I got to 10,000 miles it was a different story
Old 29 August 2001, 06:57 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lee:
<B>When faced with the offer of a replacement MY01 I've said "no thanks" - the my01 is orrible imho. anyway don't want to raise that argument again

Anyway Dugg his comment was not a diss, nor a sarcastic put down, just a genuine fact that the old cars *were* the ones to have
[/quote]

Lee, don't tell me your the person who sits at home and listens to LP's instead of CD's because the sound quality is better

Old 29 August 2001, 07:45 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Well, we've owned two MY00's, and two MY01's.

There's no need to diss the MY01 because it is a much better car LOL

Nathan
Actually, on the right setup, vinyl sounds MUCH better than CD (having just sold my Linn Sondek...)

Howsat - two controversies in one post
Old 29 August 2001, 08:09 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

PS - any WRX with only 100 miles on is as tight as a duck's bottom - I DON'T have a PPP - but my WRX flies now it has 2500 miles on - ask Puff (nicely loosened up 99 wagon WITH PPP following us on the Ring of Cambridge run on Sunday).....

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 29 August 2001).]
Old 29 August 2001, 10:50 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>Actually, on the right setup, vinyl sounds MUCH better than CD (having just sold my Linn Sondek...)[/quote]

Dave, I stand corrected

Nathan..
Old 29 August 2001, 10:53 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 29 August 2001, 11:09 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

&gt;&gt; Actually, on the right setup, vinyl sounds MUCH better than CD

Oooh, pet peeve

Compared to real 2" master tapes (analog) both vinyl and CD's sound 'orrible .

You can make reasonably good sounding CD's, but the current school of thought is "hey, let's push everyting into the last -3 DbFS ..."

In theory you have a bit more headroom on 16 bit CD format, but the loud louder loudest contest makes sure that 99 % of them actually use less than was custom on vinyl. That's why you'd say that vinyl sounds better (also because of the pink noise in the background, making it sound "warmer" (oh-errr).

But to agree on something, and a bit more on topic

don't test drive cars that haven't at least done 5000 miles (preferably more)

There might be slightly less power on the standard MY01, but nothing that can not be solved I think.

Theo
Old 29 August 2001, 01:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree that vinyl sounds better than CD. It's a simple fact that for £/bhp/ton the new models are much worse than the old one. That's all I'm saying. They do handle better. But the UK300 is doing badly in reviews because it is overpriced and slow. I'm not surprised at all that the poster is disappointed with the MY01 PPP in terms of its performance. Why should people that buy an 01 have to get a PPP to get the performance of the old one? Subaru should have release the MY01 with 250bhp VVT engine like the Japanese market. Then I would eat my words and say it was a good car and good VFM. As it is it is not (IMVHO )

I would be genuinely delighted if they sorted out the looks and performance of the MY01 and would buy one. As it is, I believe it is a poorly conceived product which is overpriced and underperforming. I was actually waiting for a MY01, but when I saw it and the performance hit I got one of the last of the old shapes. My choice. I don't mind if you "diss" me for having a caveman's car. That is not the issue. If folk complain about the performance of the 01 then there is a jolly good reason for it - middle age spread.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 29 August 2001).]
Old 29 August 2001, 02:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Ok, my MY00 has around 200bhp per tonne compared to the MY01 with a PPP, so what?
The new shape grows on you after a while, ive not driven the turbo but ive driven a gx which was good (no justy for me ) Ive also got a mate who has driven both the MY00 AND the MY01, he says the delivery makes the MY01 feel quicker as its smoother but then again with the PPP fitted its very smooth as the guy who fitted my brakes found out yesterday as he tried to compare it to a cossie and then looked down at the speedo and i was doing 90! (kmh of course )
Its personal choice in the end, i love my MY00, especially after the PPP was fitted as its totally transformed the drivability of the car, its a good pack to have fitted IMHO as this is how the car should have come out of the factory in the first place
For DuggE.
Plus points for the MY01 are that its got a better interior, stronger bodyshell, supposidly better suspension and thats about it IMHO, something that can be sorted out on any car (with the help of Visa ) but the MY00's were undoubtedly the better car to sit in and not fall out of the seats on the corners

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 29 August 2001).]
Old 29 August 2001, 02:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tony, it is I that needs to placate the 01-o-philes not you! I won't mention
Old 29 August 2001, 07:19 PM
keo
Scooby Regular

Dave T-S

Wait till you've done 7,500 in your car it really starts to open up. BTW much prefer your wifes car.

Tony

Next time you test drive an MY01 do try the brakes!!! They are much better than the MY00 IMO.

However to get the topic back on line I agree with Evilbevel and would need to test drive a PPP MY01 with 7K+ on it before considering buying the package. In the meantime an exhaust upgrade will just have to do.

It will be interesting to get feedback from the guys who've had the package fitted recently when they've put some miles on their cars.
Old 29 August 2001, 08:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

keo

I agree re the mileage. Many modern engines are built to such tight tolerances, and oils are better, it can take 20 or even 30,000 miles or more to fully loosen up.

Gone are the days of Ford crossflows that were run in and loose at 1000 miles, and on their way to another rebuild at 30,000 or less

BTW I also prefer Carolyn's car sometimes - particularly when i'm using HER petrol...

Tony
Don't mention the bloody seats!
Old 29 August 2001, 11:39 PM
keo
Scooby Regular

Ford crossflows - what are they - steam driven engines????

Sorry to raise such a sore subject as the bucket seats but it must be mentioned. When I sat in the PPP WRX, there was something that didn't feel right - the seats - god they were awful. I am a big guy but you felt your *** was constantly on rebound on the sports seats. Much prefer my buckets, however they can be a bit tight around the tighs on long journeys.
Old 30 August 2001, 07:20 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

"Steam driven engines" - they weren't that refined...!! (i've been around a long time )

The seats - wasn't it nice of Subaru UK to make an arbitrary decision on behalf of all of us and order the first production run with ALL sports seats fitted?
Old 30 August 2001, 08:46 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have PPP on my wagon (with buckets dave ) and 7,000miles on the clock.

plenty fast enough and hugeeeeeeee difference to when it was brand spanking.

bit of fast road on the way home that is near my house so i like to potter to cool things down but....

cant, every time i floor it in 2nd (big push), change up to 3rd and big push again. only problem is the cars so refined that it doesnt feel as quick as others of the same speed. my old 200sx was slower but on the same road felt as quick (with the back spinning all over the show!)

its only whe you come up against other cars and pass them that you realise how quick you are going.

followed a new M3 yesterday and he floored it with me losing nothing behind him.

Tiggs

ps- before anyone starts i dont want to discuss M3 v WRX! this was real world, two humans driving on normal roads, not magazine bods at santa pod. the guy may have been at 90%, sloppy gear change blah, blah, blah. suffice to say he was the quickest car i saw yesterday and i stuck with him