Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do new Subaru owners feel cheated by MY03?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 01:52 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No
Old 07 October 2002, 02:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Nope

Tony
Old 07 October 2002, 02:11 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

yep im getting pretty pissed off with them bringing out new models/specials etc so close to each other. Just as well i sold my MY01 WRX. Cant wait to get the new one. Just hope they dont bring a new one out the day after a purchase mine.
Old 07 October 2002, 02:20 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Nope

I bought mine because I liked it WRC/Morrettes/STi7 lights vastly improve the looks IMHO

Tony

Ps. At least Subaru/IM have heard what "classic style lovers" said about "bug eye" and have re-acted. So go out there and order one
Old 07 October 2002, 02:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Got to admit that the "bug eye'd version" has grown on me (in STi form ) and the improvement overall compared to the classic scoob is very noticable, something that a LOT of classic shaped owners wont admit (because they are behind the times )

Tony
Old 07 October 2002, 04:14 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tony - thats because to a lot of people looks are a very big part of the car they drive. I for one bought a classic shape over a new shape WRX. You either love or loath those bugeye headlights

Simon.
Old 07 October 2002, 07:51 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I don't think many people will openly admit to it, just keep an eye open in the for sale section.
Old 07 October 2002, 07:58 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Wink

NO
Old 07 October 2002, 08:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

NO I hate the WRX but like the STi (hence I bought one) and dislike the new shape (from the pics at least). At this point in time I'm glad I got an STi when I did and as I'm planning on keeping it a while, I'm less bothered about it's value.

Besides, now that it's a Limited Edition ( ), it may go up in value

Matt

P.S. I just got buzzed by a flying swine
Old 07 October 2002, 08:22 AM
rshort2210
Scooby Regular

Smile

why the hang up ??? i bought a my02 STI UK in may, knowing full well the my03 was out in feb 03. subaru are a typical jap company, they have a four yr cycle on their cars. the 03 is the interim "cosmetic" change with a more major change due on the 05 model.
why would i be pissed off? its a fooking great car, & as mentioned earlier now a ltd edition.
remember your a long time dead, live life..........NOW !!
Old 07 October 2002, 08:27 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

I bought one of the last of the'classic' shapes even though I had seen the 'bugeye', just personal preference. With each new model comes new improvements, that's life.
But lets not forget why we buy an Impreza in the first place. Whether it's the classic, bugeye or blobeye they all have the same core values IMHO of course
Old 07 October 2002, 08:59 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

No not at all, cos it means I'm not driving some rattly dated stone chipped 2 yr old heap at the moment!...

Before you start, I retract the above statemnet - it was a joke!

The only thing that hacked me off a little, was the GX was dropped by 2K down to £14500 RRP for the wagon - considering I bought mine about 3 months ago, I was a little 'bugged' by this!

Other than that, residuals are bad on a lot of cars at the moment due to new improved versions coming out...

I'm quite please the '03 has come out, as I now have a better idea of what I want to buy towards the end of next year!

Either a MY'03 WRX or a P1

Alex
Old 07 October 2002, 09:37 AM
ACRIV
Scooby Regular

Personally a new set headlamps is not enough to get me upset about taking delivery of my Pro-Drive STI in May.

This is the first time I have bought Subaru, and I was motivated mainly by the cars fantastic pedigree and secondly because I did not want to join the happy band of car owners who watch the same type of car as their own flash past several times a day.

Having said that though, I must admit to now seeing two other blue 2002 STI's heading northbound on the Bournemouth Spur Rd most mornings.

However my driving past these two other examples coming in the opposite direction is probably the first time I have been able to take a good look at the standard front end actually coming towards me.

Like I said at the start it will take more than a new set of headlights to get me upset, my mission is accomplished the car looks very different and stands out well from the other traffic.

My purchase was not all about the way the car looked, and it is this cars great set up that makes me take the long, winding way home most evenings. .../.. Keep on driving hard and enjoy these exceptional cars ... /...

Old 07 October 2002, 10:14 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

What they should do is sack the design team subaru currently use and employ new people, lol! Then we might even see something that resembles the "evil" lines of the classic shape!
Old 07 October 2002, 10:17 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheated? Hell Yes....

However, I also feel cheated that every time I buy a new car with the optional extra alloys, I never get to keep the original ones that came as standard. FFS I paid for them didnt I?

Im having a bad day.

Aspirin!!!!!

Mak.
Old 07 October 2002, 10:18 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

my mate net door is gutted, he drives a Citroen BX and has just discovered that his car has been replaced about 7 times, it also turns out so has his TV, PC, Dishwasher and today he's learnt that his house (which he bought in 1980) is now being made with a nicer ensuite.

i told him "you think you've got problems! my £20K car (which is unknown as a brand by half the world) is now being made with a new style headlight"

GET A LIFE RETARD, he said.

T
Old 07 October 2002, 10:37 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

ROFLMAO @ STi go fast
Old 07 October 2002, 10:55 AM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

No, I like my My02 Sti, that's why I got it. When the "bugeye" first came out, I hated it and was going to stick to my MY99.

It grew on me over time and I brought one in May. I do however dislike the way they kept it a secret until the Paris motor show, almost if they were scared to tell anyone...
Old 07 October 2002, 11:09 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

lmfao STI go fast
Old 07 October 2002, 12:24 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I bought an Impreza for the performance and handling (does anyone really buy them on looks alone ?) so I don't really feel cheated as such. The MY03 is virtually identical in appearance to the 01/02 except for the wings, bumper and lights anyway - wow, 3 panel changes must've taken the design team all morning to come up with that
When you buy *any* car you must face the fact that sooner or later it will be the 'old shape', its just the nature of the market.

Old 07 October 2002, 12:50 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Why has this thread not turned a corner yet? Is it an MY03 bug?
Old 07 October 2002, 01:21 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nope, although the MY01 model should've come with Morrette lamps as standard

Pete
Old 07 October 2002, 03:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Not really,
But if I want one when I see it in the flesh,Ill buy it,simple as that.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:05 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Cheated? Nope. No way. No day.

As Acriv said,

My purchase was not all about the way the car looked, and it is this cars great set up that makes me take the long, winding way home most evenings.
Precisely what I'm going to do in a few short moments
Old 07 October 2002, 04:55 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

No. I love my O2 Sti.
Old 07 October 2002, 05:43 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

I specifically didn't get gooey over a bug eyed WRX because you have to go and get the STi/UK300 with PPP to get the sort of excitement that a classic gives you for less bucks, OK it may be a bit smoother and I don't like the style but the bug eyed just never floated my boat, the 03 certainly gets it on the water! But the driving experiance is what matters and I was always waiting for the bug eyed WRK to come on song compared with the classic. If the 03 gets some of that eagerness back from the classics then I might be tempted... got to see one in black first though.
Old 07 October 2002, 06:44 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

I have a bit mixed feelings...

I do feel a bit gutted for Subaru to change the model after only two years. But I guess that is the name of the game nowadays, even German car manufacturers can't keep the same models in production without facelifts every couple of years.

On the other hand I don't feel bad at all for getting a bugeye. The car is better built than classic (used to have one) and I actually like the "friendlier" looks as well. And I'm not so sure that the facelifted version is IMHO better looking. Only seeing the car in flesh will tell, photos can never show how the car really looks like. As a proof the bugeye models always look worse in pictures than in real life.

Old 07 October 2002, 06:51 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I had the opprotunity to buy one to replace my P1 - but I just couldn't do it!. I know it sounds pedantic, my showing a couple of my car nut mates when the WRX came out, they seriously thought I was winding them up with the pictures..

I personally still think the bug eye was the biggest mistake subaru ever made. If Any of you guys work in the motor trade like myself, the registration figures speak for themselves in favour of my opinion.

Not only did the car get ugly, it also got very fat. Maybe it's co-incidence, but Subaru also seemed to start to lose the plot on the rallying side of things not too long after the bug eye came out..

yes, they can be made to look better with morretts - but one shouldnt have to do that as a matter of course.

The '03 is an improvement but not enough to tempt me to buy another yet. If I ever go back to Subaru it will be an sti5 or 6 with some serious modifications as it's an ideal base to start from.

What did I replace the P1 with? - an Evo, which will probably be replaced with another, as IMHO they are far superior in every aspect apart from the fuel tank size, but lets face it, who buys a car on the size of its fuel tank. Sorry Subaru, the last 2 years you have lost the plot bigtime - hope you sort it out soon!

All IMHO of course

p.s. - just a thought for you guys, when did IM ever offer 0% on old MY cars even in run off? - not a chance - you had to wait 6 months for your new UK car and pay FULL list price. Your local dealer is virtually giving away new impreza's; £2000 off before you even get in the door of the showroom plus 0% - next thing is free insurance for over 18's no doubt . If that doesn't tell you something about sales on this car I don't know what does!

Chris
Old 07 October 2002, 08:26 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Come on admit it, the bug eye was a big **** up which they have now corrected

He he.

MB