Sponsored by:

Lizzywizz's M3 Hijacked on test drive

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2001, 01:27 PM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had a very traumatic experience yesterday evening when two would-be purchasers came to look at my M3 convertible which was advertised in the Auto Trader.

They were very polite, well-spoken and well-dressed and took me in completely with their interest in the car, service history etc etc. After ten minutes looking round it they asked if I could take them for a run in it. Obviously I agreed - you don't buy a car without going out in it.

Intending to just go for a quick ride round the block I didn't take phone or handbag with me. However they asked if I could take it on the dual carriageway so that they could see what it could do.

When on the A38 they asked if I could stop and let them have a drive, but I was reluctant because they hadn't got insurance docs with them. However they made it quite clear that I didn't have a choice in the matter and I immediately felt very vunerable. I stopped it in a layby on the A38 and yes - you've guessed!! As we swapped over the guy in the back locked the passenger door and they sped off without a second glance!!!

There I was left at the side of the A38 without any means of contacting the police or anyone. After walking for about 30 minutes managed to find a phone and call police. BUT BY THIS TIME THE CAR WAS LONG GONE - PROBABLY NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!!

So what I am asking is how should I have handled the situation as a woman on her own selling a car?????

Also any advice on making my new Scooby as theft-proof as possible would be very welcome!

Lizzy
Old 26 August 2001, 01:33 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I know this is kinda barn door and horse already buggered off, but my advice would be don't be a woman 'on her own trying to sell a car'. If they ask for an appointment to view the car, have a big male friend there with you, regardless of how 'girlie' you might feel. It makes sense.

At least you only lost your car. It could have been much worse.
Old 26 August 2001, 01:43 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Hi Lizzy - Sorry to hear about your experience.

The only bits of advice I would add ( again a bit late now ) is to

1. Get non mobile phone numbers from the buyer and ring them to arrange the time/place for the meet. So then you have a contact number which can usually be traced.

2. The meet is normally at your house but then if the buyers are scallies they could be checking your house and return later.

3. Take their registration numbers when they turn up.

4. As Maz said - Get some company NEVER arrange to meet anyone on your own.

In this day and age I don't think you can take enough precautions but then where do draw the line.

Old 26 August 2001, 01:54 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about this Liz, at least you are here to tell us !!!!

Did the car have tracker etc installed ? If the scoob doesnt it may pay to get one !

I would say when you are made to change over, take the keys, but that could make things turn nasty !

and as the others said, never be there on your own ! and always take a mobile just in case !

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 26 August 2001).]
Old 26 August 2001, 01:56 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Anyway, Lizzy,

Now you've got a Scoob, life can only get better...

Don't know if the Police have told you anything, but if you want any info on what's going to happen now or what you'll have to do in court, please feel free to ask.

They'll catch them. Sounds like a relatively sophistcated bunch and the police probably already know them if you gave a good description. Be prepared for an ID Parade - there will be one. This is classic 'not me, guv'nor - I've got an alibi' territory.
Old 26 August 2001, 02:17 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

LIZZY,sorry about the news,hope your okay.
The things to stop them nicking your scoob are as follows.
Barrier dead lock system/locks the car into reverse via a locking stystem fitted onto the prop tunnel.
A removable steering wheel or disc autolock.
A good quality cat 1 alarm.
Hide your keys of a evening.
Park it in less vunerable areas.
A pair of pit-bulls as pets on the back seat
Hope this helps
Darren
Old 26 August 2001, 02:19 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Does anyone use a wheelclamp? I don't know if there is anything to prevent you from doing so, if you can find one?
Old 26 August 2001, 02:32 PM
Turbo_Six
Scooby Regular

Angry

there's nothing to stop you using a wheelclamp, they're a good idea. Not easy to find however, try a web search and then caravanning websites, the only time I've seen them sold is for caravans.

I guess in future check their documents before even finding the keys from inside your house, and leave the paperwork inside your house until they come back.

Another trick might be to swap drivers somewhere you know there is CCTV coverage, or even leave your own video camera recording them when they turn up.

Alternatively, you could just ask them if they wouldn't mind having their photo taken before taking a test drive. Anyone genuine wouldn't mind allowing you a little security, especuially considering your past experiences with the M3.

Hope this helps, bit late though... Good luck recovering it.
Old 26 August 2001, 03:46 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

hhhmmm difficult one this, you don't want to put off genuine buyers by having extra people about.

when swopping over take the keys out. This could turn nasty but also most car theives don't want to get violent, and would probably just tell you to get out! (hopefully whilst stationary!). Always have a mobile phone with you.

This is what I do, someone arranges a visit. Think of a good route that takes in all sorts of roads for a good test drive, drive the route, see how much petrol you need, have this much petrol in the car. Finally have a friend follow you.

This has some really good advantages. The following car is discreet, so won't put off genuine buyers. Also can follow should the car get nicked. With little petrol the car won't get far. A quick call to the police. The car hopefully won't be far away.

Matt.
Old 26 August 2001, 04:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Turbo_Six:
<B>Alternatively, you could just ask them if they wouldn't mind having their photo taken before taking a test drive. Anyone genuine wouldn't mind allowing you a little security, especuially considering your past experiences with the M3.[/quote]

This sounds like a great idea - a film only costs a couple of quid, and once the car is successfully sold, there isn't even any need to develop the pictures. Wise words Turbo_Six!

mb
Old 26 August 2001, 05:04 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hi Lizz, terrible news.

I don't think your in a different situation being female, it's your car they were after, I think it's somthing we all need to look out for. Maybe it's better to just let the car go, after all it can be replaced whereas we can't.

I like that photo idea.

bob
Old 26 August 2001, 05:18 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Lizzy

I'm very sorry to hear about the M3.

As far as the Scoob goes have you thought about a good quality Clifford alarm with Black Jax anti hijack. If soemone forces you out of the car it lets them drive off, when the car is doing a safe speed a little way down the road it cuts the engine out and stops with the alarm blaring. Giving you time to get away and helping to recover the vehicle.

Nathan..
Old 26 August 2001, 05:56 PM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks everyone for your sympathy and excellent advice - I just wish I'd thought to ask you all before I advertised the car!

Hopefully I'll be keeping the scoob for quite some time so won't need to repeat the exercise for a good while.

Nathan, very interested in the Black Jax anti-hijack system - where could I find out more about it?

Lizzy
Old 26 August 2001, 06:28 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lizzy

You have Email, best not to post how it works on the site for obvious reasons.

Also check out
Old 26 August 2001, 06:47 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Liz

Sorry to hear about what happened Glad that you are physically un-harmed.

For the new scoob, get a tracking device of some sort - whatever version, just get one.

If in a future selling situation, don't tell any perspective purchasers until the money is in the bank.

Hope that your scooby ownership is more carefree & happy
Old 26 August 2001, 10:25 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy

Oh No Liz
sounds like wot happened to AudioDave!

Phil
Old 26 August 2001, 10:30 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...**** Liz did they get a look at ur new baby or Mikey's toy?? If so strengthen ur security measures immediately....
Old 26 August 2001, 11:47 PM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Richard,

Thats whats worrying me.... they were admiring both cars as I moved them off the drive to get the BMW out. One of the blokes actually said "I want that one too" about mine.

Hence the request for advice about the best security for my scooby....need to sort something fairly quickly.

Lizzy
Old 26 August 2001, 11:58 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Liz,

Sorry to hear, not good !

Do you want to post details of the M3 to keep an eye out for. I am out with Notts police tomorrow and could ask them if they now of any similar events/areas !

Do you know what car they turned up in.

As to security, what about a vid camera for where you park the cars ?

Dave.
Old 27 August 2001, 10:02 AM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Angry

sorry to hear lizzy.it could of happened to any of us. you just dont expect it to happen in this area of the country,but im sure people will think diffrently now.
Old 27 August 2001, 10:09 AM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Dave,
I don't think the car will be still around but it was Dark blue BMW M3 convertible with black roof and registration M3 DOS. Thanks.

Richard,
CCTV idea sounds good, but its not really possible to keep my car anywhere else than on my drive. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac where everyone keeps an eye out for strange goings-on and these guys were clocked by several of the neighbours so not sure they'd risk coming back.

At the moment the scoob's got a Cobra cat 1 Alarm but haven't really had time to see what it does or how good it is.

Its so nice to be able to come on here and be given so much good advice - thanx guys!!

Lizzy
Old 27 August 2001, 12:11 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Liz - ur gonna be best to make sure that neither car is at that address this week - the last thing that u want is ur door kicked in for the keys.....if ur on ur own then leave asap - if Mikeys around then get him tooled up 'cos it might be "necessary"....then get both cars barrier deadlocked....have pagers fitted to the alarms and CCTV and a post fitted in the driveway - ps Homebase are doing CCTV for 40 quid all in and they're open 8 til 7 tomorrow ...hope this helps mate - stay safe
Old 27 August 2001, 06:36 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Lizz,

Sorry to hear your news, thanx very much for bringing it to this board.

In future I will only let the potential driver take it for a test drive when I come to sell, just me and him.
Old 27 August 2001, 07:53 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Question

Just thought of another idea,

Some people suggested fitting a anti-hijack device, but how many would do that on a car that is being sold?

So instead next time I sell a car I will make sure there is not much fuel in the tank and also remove the CAT1 alarm control from the key ring. If something happens I could alway switch the alarm on, or if that fails then when they stop for petrol they may forget the alarm and the imobaliser will switch on.
Old 27 August 2001, 08:20 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Real bad news this Lizz.

Just a question, did the advert mention lady owner? Easy target etc.

Wheel clamps are pretty easy to find on the web. Try this URL for a list UK security suppliers including wheel clamps, steering and gearbox locks and driveway post.
Old 27 August 2001, 08:47 PM
Lizzywizz
Scooby Regular

Cube,
No I didn't mention lady owner.

I've been talking to Audio Dave today (while on a very enjoyable scooby meet to Sutton Park). The very same thing happened to him in May this year and after comparing notes there is no doubt in my mind that they are the same two guys who took his scooby!!
Old 27 August 2001, 09:13 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here about this Lizzy

What scum! - glad you are OK

Get the best protection available on both the Scoobs, get Trouser to sort you out with the barrier deadlock.

Let's hope they catch the b4st4rds

Chris
Old 27 August 2001, 09:36 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Bad news Lizzy

You must have been shaken. Hope you get your security sorted soon. Good to hear you've got a Scooby now tho!

Amanda
Old 27 August 2001, 09:39 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Lizzy,

I too am sorry to read about this. Hope you get sorted soon.

Wrexy.
Old 27 August 2001, 11:07 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Red face

Good idea from wrx.co.uk re taking the cat 1 alarm off the keyring.

The alarm I have fitted would prove useful in this situation too. You need to deactivate the alarm, via a secretly located button, everytime you open the drivers door, plus you need to be in possession of a special key fob to fully deactivate it. If either or both are breached then the engine is starved of petrol after 20 or so seconds, the car is brought to a halt and the alarm is activated.

You cannot restart the car for at least 10 mins, and only if you carry out certain steps first, along with the posession of the fob.

The sh&ts may initially nick off with your car, but they'll only get a few hundred yards up the road!!

You may have already heard of it, but if not, let me know and I'll pass on the details.

Cheers,
Daz

Quick Reply: Lizzywizz's M3 Hijacked on test drive