Sponsored by:

Newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2002, 07:24 PM
Daddy-P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm after buying my first Scooby and was wondering if the following sounds like a good buy.

P-reg silver Impreza Turbo, at a local dealer's for £8999. There's some minor scuffs on front bumper and what looks like a parking dink on the rear bumper on the driver's side. What cocerned me most is there appears to be some rust-coloured discolouration on the brake discs - could this just be cosmetic or does it sound more serious?
Old 06 October 2002, 07:30 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

tell the dealer you will only buy it if he gets the dinks etc done ( to the trade its cheap)if he's any half decent trader he will agree, and the rust on discs is just were the cars been laid up, can happen in couple days easy. if worried but discs and pads also say you want new ones but you will pay half the cost. you will find they do anythink to clinch a sale
Old 06 October 2002, 07:32 PM
Daddy-P
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that apples. It's not an official Scooby dealer, do you think they'll still go for the repairs if I ask?
Old 06 October 2002, 08:13 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

yeah !!!

nail 'em hard.... truth is scoobs are not selling 'that' well at the mo.

dealers are always willing to haggle a bit - get tham to paint in the scuffs too if you are happy to pay ticket price.

Normally, you should try not to pay the full ticket price for anything - especially in a car dealer - they do build in haggle/hassle into part of the ticket price - get a lift on the warranty too - to the top level - doesn't cost them that much, but could be good news for you.

classic negotiation is by using what are called 'currencies', these you use to trade. an example of a currency you have and he wants is your hard earned cash.... another is <bollox> "a mate who my come to you after such great service" </bollox>

some that he has that you want (apart from the car) would be a service, better warranty, fix the paint, fix the discs, full tank of fuel, and so on and so on.....

Bottom line here is if you don't try it on, you'll get no better than the ticket price for the car with no extra feel good bits to the deal.

good luck and let us know how you do.

Mikey
Old 06 October 2002, 10:02 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

DaddyP,
If you can afford a bit more have a look at my car which is for sale. I am looking for around £10,800.

See thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=137716

If you cannot stump up much more I am sorry for hassling you and wish you all the best on your quest for getting a scooby.

PS. Great choice of car, i've had nothing but fun with mine. Amazingly even my missus loves the car. Try looking for one with higher miles but newer as its likely to have been done mostly on motorway so its less likely to have thrashed. Also the bodywork is probably better also.

Cheers

Alan
Old 06 October 2002, 10:21 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you I'd take a look in the For Sale section, where you'll find a good selection of cars. There's a lovely 5 door, N-reg going for a lot less than the one you're looking at. Low mileage, sound bodywork and it's had the 'big' service done. Should be worth a look. Shop around m8.
Old 06 October 2002, 10:28 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

I agree with slowboy
Old 07 October 2002, 09:07 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

I agree too...9k for a P plater is a bit steep..and at that price the car should be immaculate......