Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long for Police to check if a car is stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2001, 12:33 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ask this because I had an early morning wake up this morning.

Driving towards Uttoxeter at around 5:10 a.m, speed was about 80 ( foxes and errant sheep are know to cross this road ).

A car approached in opposite direction so I dropped on to normal lights so as not to blind him.

Car goes by and I realise it's a police Volvo. Thinking no more of it I proceed at a similar rate of knots.

The road is pretty good and I was enjoying myself as I was the only one on it.

A mile or two down the road and I notice some lights behind me, approaching VERY quickly.

I went over the brow of the hill and started to slow as I approached Uttoxeter. I was just entering the 40 zone, when the car came over the brow and sat about 50 - 100 foot off my bumper.

I realised it was the Volvo and they followed me through Uttoxeter at 40 mph.

This went on for about 2 minutes.

Then as we took a left at a roundabout the blues came on and they shot past me.

I started to slow expecting a little chat but they disappeared with the lights still on.

If they were just checking the car out then I would applaud the fact that they did it as they did. Had me going for a moment or two though.
Old 27 August 2001, 12:56 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Would usually take 2 to 5 min's to do a check on it depending on how busy they are, i'd say they checked it and got a call or they may of pulled you.

Can not blame them for turning round and checking you out at 5 am, good thing if you ask me although it can be a pain in the ar53.

Old 27 August 2001, 02:16 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

It's going to get quicker...
Old 27 August 2001, 02:51 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Cryptwalk - In a way I was glad to see them check me out.

They could have certainly had me for speeding as it took a while for them to catch up.

They were certainly closer to whatever incident they went to by about 7 miles.
Old 27 August 2001, 06:34 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

They would also follow you fro a while just in case the car wasnt reported stolen ! check your driving etc and maybe pull you on the offchance just to make sure !
Old 27 August 2001, 06:58 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

i had a bit of a play with the police this afternoon they follwed me for about 7 miles from the middle of town all the way to my house started out in a 30mph zone then we came to a 60 limit so i flored it up to 60 and left the police a bit back they caught up then i slowed to around 40mph to go through a set of traffic lights then went through some really twisty bits dead on 60 lost them a couple of times then they caught me up again in another 30 left that 30 with foot down then kept to 60 till i braked quite hard and pulled in to my drive they stopped at the bottom of my drive for a few seconds and watched me drive up it then just took off did not even speak to me.
Old 27 August 2001, 09:18 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Red face

dont worry mate they'll have you for something next time
well known fact the police dont like that kind of behaviour
Old 28 August 2001, 08:05 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by evo kid:
<B>i had a bit of a play with the police this afternoon they follwed me for about 7 miles from the middle of town all the way to my house started out in a 30mph zone then we came to a 60 limit so i flored it up to 60 and left the police a bit back they caught up then i slowed to around 40mph to go through a set of traffic lights then went through some really twisty bits dead on 60 lost them a couple of times then they caught me up again in another 30 left that 30 with foot down then kept to 60 till i braked quite hard and pulled in to my drive they stopped at the bottom of my drive for a few seconds and watched me drive up it then just took off did not even speak to me.[/quote]

Maybe not the brightest thing to do?

Old 28 August 2001, 08:21 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

In situations like this it's best to keep your cool and drive to the limit and not Floor it up to the limits..

I was followed the other weekend like that, Volvo T5 going opposit way turn round and caught up with me and sat behind me at 60mph. Girlfriend said "There's a police car right behind you, what have you done?" I replied to her.. "I own a Scooby therefore I'd expect this all the time"

It's good that they do check etc.. Imagine if you had your motor nicked, you'd be delighted if they'd found your motor this way.

On the other hand I've heard stories about people being followed at night and them not knowing what was behind them they've floored it maybe fearing for their safety. Then they get pulled after being goaded into racing off, imagine a lone female being followed close by another car?? Scary thought for the female driver...

That's my 2 pence worth

O.M.
Old 28 August 2001, 07:00 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

if the police thought i had done any thing wrong i am sure they would have stopped me even if it was just for the 'is this your car routine'
and i did not break any speed limits at any time they were following me also i would not have broken the 30mph limit even if they were not behind me as this limit does have a purpose in buit up areas .

i think you all got the wrong idea ,i was not driving badly just seeing how long they would put up with it for as i was not tecnacly doing anything wrong still observing speed limits even indicated and backed off to pass a dog walking up the road.
Old 28 August 2001, 07:16 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh but i think you may have p*ssed them off a bit.

They will probably pull you for something daft like bird muck on you headlamp of check your tyre pressures im sure they will think of a reason.
Old 28 August 2001, 09:19 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

i still think that they would have pulled me there and then if they were that pissed off.
as for bird muck they would have to be up early to even catch a glimpse of that on my car.