Sponsored by:

Safety Camera Vans..

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2001, 05:54 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Who among us has come across these Yellow "Safety Camera" vans parked up ???

I was driving to the lakes this morning across the A66 and I found one parked in a layby. I was right on top of it until I noticed, needless to say I decreased my speed from 79mph to below 70mph rather quickly.
I noticed someone in the back of th van and one of the windows were open and a camera device pointing down the road I had just travelled along. This stretch of road is straight open Dual carriageway and they park up to try and catch people unawares..

I was quite angry when I noticed it at last minute, from the rear it looked like an AA van until you get right on it, if I hadn't had my grilfriend in the car I would have gone back and asked them what they were doing. Or even better I would have parked right behind them and opened up my bonnet to obscure their view...

Has anybody here been caught out by one of the hidden sneaky b@stard5 ?? If so what happened ?

O.M.
Old 27 August 2001, 07:04 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Angry

Southend Police

Love these vans but they are plain white or plain blue

I only pick them up because of the Snooper

Revenue Copllection Vehicles

SHOULD BE BANNED

Phil
Old 27 August 2001, 09:37 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Use them up here in Scotland
Spotted one after a ski trip to Glencoe in April
It was parked up on the very long straight near Bridge of Orchy on the way to Tyndrum
Olive green-hard to spot-type of Safety Van

Good revenue producer everyone goes over the limit on this stretch
Doug
Old 28 August 2001, 01:07 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Northampton's got 3 of them I think. ALWAYS positioned where they're guaranteed to make money on bridges over dual carridgeways.

They do announce where they'll be on the local morning radio (in between the annoying adverts) but it's usually the same places.

Matt
Old 28 August 2001, 08:07 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna be an unhappy chappy over the next 2 weeks while I wait and see it anything comes through my door.

I was following the general speed of the remainder of the traffic and trying to get past Caravans & Buses before the Dual Carriageway ended so I wouldn't have to overtake on Single Carriageways.

I used to use my Snooper all the time but never bothered recently as my Girlfriend asked me why I should need one if I stick to the limits. I replied.. "Sometimes your speed can creep up in a car like this without you even knowing"

O.M
Old 28 August 2001, 10:07 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hants Police in Farnborough have been operating one of these vans for well over a year. Looks like a works van with the rear doors open until you get alongside and see "Police" written on the doors. They must have got 1000's of people by now. When I walked past one of these vans I had a good peer in and it looks like a laser gun so radar detectors will be no defence. As I've said many times on this BBS, do not speed in *any* 30 limits in Farnborough.
Old 28 August 2001, 01:21 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neanderthal:
<B>Northampton's got 3 of them I think. ALWAYS positioned where they're guaranteed to make money on bridges over dual carridgeways.

They do announce where they'll be on the local morning radio (in between the annoying adverts) but it's usually the same places.

Matt[/quote]

I think they're up to 7 or so now! Old ones White new ones Burgundy.

As previously stated normally on Dual Carriageway & M1 bridges.

Check out
Old 28 August 2001, 01:59 PM
CM
Scooby Newbie

I must admit that I was absolutely seething this weekend. While back up in Newcastle for a friends wedding, I was driving along the coast, in a very safe manner.

The road in particular was a dual carriageway with a 40 speed limit. Luckily, i was just crawling past a learner and was doing approx 45 - very safely I might add! (needed to get past before the road goes back to single lane)

Then up ahead I see a policeman with his hairdryer out, pointed at the car. Not wishing to cause any risk, I thought the best course of action would be to slam on the brakes, get the speed down to 20 ish, just in case it was over a measured distance or such like, and then crawl past him. (luckily no one behind, or on the road, apart from the learner)

The reason I was so incensed, was that he was doing this next to a residential estate, with pretty wide roads, where I used to live, and know for a fact people regularly do 40 - 45 in a 30. There are playing fields with kids, and plenty of parked cars, where kids can run out from.

But the police find it more of a concern to catch speeders on an open stretch of dual carriageway, with clear visability of any kind of hazard on or around the road.

The reason I was so furious, was the fact that I could have got 3 penalty points and a fine, for doing nothing in the remotest bit dangerous. Especially, when there's some old lady probably getting mugged around the corner! I've got a clean Licence, and am trying to do my best to keep it that way. But with policing like this, what can you do?

Aagggggggggggggggggg - where's the justice in this world!???!
Old 28 August 2001, 02:04 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Ba5tards! I see the gits all the time. I keep my eye out incase one ever parks outside his house. Then I will post the details to the world.
Old 28 August 2001, 04:39 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

CM,

I'm afraid that's what everyone's been moaning about!

I was done in a similar manner to Octane Man, on a piece of straight road with no history of accidents, but as it is dead straight they can see you coming a mile off. Easy money ! They caught me just after I'd overtaken a lorry, Barstewards!

As with most people I can't complain, because I was exceeding the limit. However, it does getting very frustrating when you know they don't bother to cover the areas that need it most i.e. Residential areas, villages etc.

If it's not down to money, maybe Northants Police can explain why the issue of speeding tickets went up to 84,000 last year, from less that 5,000 the previous year.

Josh
Old 28 August 2001, 04:56 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

This might be interesting. There is one as you come into London from the M1. 20 Foot from a SPEED CAMERA!!!! White Van

There was also one on a bridge on the way up to Dono yesturday. People carrier, I went past it doing about 75-80mph. Picture in the post then me think...

Dan
Old 28 August 2001, 05:44 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by phil_stephens:
<B>Southend Police

Love these vans but they are plain white or plain blue

I only pick them up because of the Snooper

Revenue Copllection Vehicles

SHOULD BE BANNED

Phil[/quote]

M8, they are little *******s those vans! I always see them on the A127 near Victoria Avenue in the 40 limit. They are always flashing someone!