Sponsored by:

BMW employee admits P1 beats M3!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 08:16 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Didnt an M3 owner post a thread last week on exactly the same thing - getting rid of the e46 M3 and going back to a scoob cos they are better value for money?

Shame I cant remember who it was now

[Edited by wilf - 10/2/2002 8:17:21 AM]
Old 10 February 2002, 08:52 AM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Arron and Chins, I have owned an E36 M3 Evo, a P1 and now own an E46 M3. I have to say your brother must be confused, he must be comparing the P1 to an E36 M3, which I agree the P1 is a better car, but, the E46 M3 is in another league. If you want fun come and drive my old E30 M3 Evo Sport, its quicker on track than an E46 M3 and quite a few scoobs

[Edited by Andrew O'Hara - 10/2/2002 8:53:52 AM]
Old 10 February 2002, 08:05 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

As I previously said in an old post on this "vs" subject. My Scoob has given me so much joy, it goes like stink, accelerates like the millenium falcon, corners like it's on rails, sounds the nuts (especially with the back windows down whilst driving through tunnels - ;0)

BUT,

It's too basic. Even with £!!!k of sound system, a satnav, full ebony buffalo leather retrim, velour carpets and sunroof.
too uncomfortable on long journey's - I do 35k miles per year.
Now accessable to every honest hard working person in the UK and quickly becoming tarnished with the MAX POWER brush.

My needs have changed vehicle wise. I want luxury, gadgets, build quality and comfort with my speed and handling. Hence why I take delivery of my E46 M3 in April. Quite simply I believe the M3 is a totally different beast to an Impreza. It is the next step towards performance icons such as the 911 and SL55AMG. It is a far more complete motor vehicle.

Oh and it also has no problem out gunning a standard EVO 7 in a straight line and ain't too far behind on the twisty stuff and we all know how much better the EVO is than the Scoob don't we!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by scottdg - 10/3/2002 12:52:21 PM]
Old 10 February 2002, 09:58 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I was just thinking about this the other day... someone mentioned about the skyline...

If you had £45K to spend on either of these two cars which would you have

E46 M3

Skyline R34 V-Spec

I know which one i would have and its not german.. because

(a) performance
(b) looks
(c) rarity
(d) tunability
(e) handling
(f) gadgets

e.t.c

I think even if i had the money for a car that was worth £45K i would still have to modify it.. hence the skyline all the way....plus you see a fair few M3's/bmw's about... although they are still an amazing car..!

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 10/2/2002 9:59:12 PM]
Old 10 March 2002, 01:15 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

People buy the M3 for many reasons, the entire package that the car offers is why people pay 45k. Its quick, comfortable, safe, it has the image, it has the looks, it is an awesome touring car capable of devouring most cars on the road if need be.
Yep, people buy the impreza for many reasons, the entire package that the car offers is why people pay 20k. Its quick, comfortable, safe, it has the image, it has the looks, it is an awesome touring car capable of devouring most cars on the road if need be.

Well yes but that isnt why people splash out 45k, the BMW brand is a status symbol, like it or not, how many M3s do you see on the road compared to Scooby's?
See loads of "M-teched" 316i wioth drum brakes LOL. You dont see many because people dont want to pay 45K for one, I would have a 911.

Its a fairly exclusive car that cant be bought by teenagers,
Just wait till its 15 years old like old M3s and 325i

Its a special car that many many Scooby owners would love to own.
Brings me back to the 911 again .

For 45K you can buy better IMHO.

cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 10/3/2002 1:18:16 PM]
Old 01 October 2002, 07:42 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Talking

My brother in law works for BMW as a body work engineer and had my P1 for the weekend as he was putting tints on for me.

After 3 hours of him having the car and not yet arriving the short distance to his garage!!!! he texted me with 'This is a f*****g M3 eater'.

After meeting him the following day with one tank less fuel in my car he was gushing with admiration about the motor, (Only mod was ssport d/pipe). He did admit that top end speed was not as good as M3 but handling, acceloration and sheer fun factor was way ahead of any M3 he had driven. (He did ask where the brakes where though!)

I am sure that the relative low price for a P1 over an M3 did play a part as the P1 was a realistic finacial option for him.

I was dead chuffed as he has always slammed subarus but is now converted. I know this note doesn't particularly say anything new but I was made up so thought I would share it with you as the P1 is similar to many of your standard or modded motors.

Happy driving guys!!
Old 01 October 2002, 08:42 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry mate have owned both and you and he are talking utter bo11ox.
Old 01 October 2002, 08:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Arron you still getting an STI7 ?
Old 01 October 2002, 09:20 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Agree with Arron. Have owned both as well. Sure he wasnt comparing it with the E36.

Jonathan

Now driving a Seat
Old 01 October 2002, 09:24 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have been 168 MPH in new shape M3 (as a passenger round millbrook bowl) 4 UP.

AWWSOME
Old 02 October 2002, 08:24 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

Horses for courses...

I just couldnt justify spending £40k+ for a car. I still like to have fun, but the smile is always bigger in a Scoob cos there's notes in my wallet!

Mak.
Old 02 October 2002, 08:24 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hmmm, I haven't owned a new M3 like Jonathan or Arron, BUT I have driven one and have driven a fair few P1's. IMHO I would have the M3 over the p1 ANY DAY if money was freely available , but for soul, driving pleasure and that little something I cannot quite put my finger on, the p1 has it. Admittedly I did not explore anything like the limits of the M3, so may well change my views if I had one for a decent length of time. Two totally different cars, and a bit difficult to compare them like for like.
Mossman
Old 02 October 2002, 08:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If you read it he says nothing about his opinion on it. Arron, maybe you should speak to his brother in law as it's his opinion....

.....and like ar5eholes everybodys got one
Old 02 October 2002, 09:19 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Here we go again.
Old 02 October 2002, 09:50 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My Bro works for BMW too & took a P1 in part exchange on a new mustard yellow M3 that was a demonstrator he had driven for a few months.
He then drove the P1 for a few days while his new demonstrator was being sorted (330i with YELLOW leather - YUK!)

The verdict....M3 by a mile.....& he likes Scoobies so no bias.

Ro.
Old 02 October 2002, 09:58 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

I've got an STi V5 (mostly the same as a P1) and an E46 M3 convertible with a manual box and I don't entirely disagree with Steve's comments. On long open roads the M3 is in a class of it's own, but we don't have enough of those in this country, and those that do are chock full of traffic. The scooby has more confidence inspiring acceleration than the M3 up to about 90mph - the beemer would beat the scooby up to 100mph, but I'd be interested to see the 40-90mph through the gear times for both cars. The M3 is 338bhp and 269lb/ft and 1655 kg (Coupe 1570kg). The scooby is 276bhp, 261lb/ft and 1275kg. I'd put my money on the scooby. To state the obvious that's a big weight difference, a bit more power for the beemer and nothing in the torque. There's a stretch of road near my home where I would regularly overtake 3-4 cars at a time in the scooby and I wouldn't be happy to do the same in the M3. All that full on power between 3500-6500rpm in the scooby throws you forward like a sling shot. The M3 has totally different characteristics, very smooth delivery and happier to rev up to the red line. Admittedly my engine has yet to loosen up, it's only done 2000m and apparently it'll take between 6-9000m to really get going.

The M3 has a harder and more jarring ride than the STi (even though setup for Japanese roads), but I reckon that even the convertible has similar or slightly greater overall cornering speed than the scooby, but less chuckable (the coupe must have better dynamics).

No doubt about it, it's horses for courses, but I think the scooby acquits itself well considering a new M3 with any decent spec is selling for around £50k.

p.s. Seen all this discussed before? read another thread then!
Old 02 October 2002, 10:02 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Healey B, good comments, and you lucky , lucky barsteward!!
Mossman
Old 02 October 2002, 10:57 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Me voice my opinions when not asked for ?????????????NEVER
M3 is in a league of its own...sorry thats fact.
I am returning to the STI purely for financial reasons.
Pound 4 pound fun. I am not expecting a Subaru to compare with a BMW in many areas. I could buy two of these for the cost of my M3 spec.
Old 02 October 2002, 11:05 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Ahh but would an Evo 6 RS beat an M3 hands down? I heard that it will.
Old 02 October 2002, 11:06 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stop Stirring!
Old 02 October 2002, 11:49 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

You mean it wouldn't? Wait till I tell moses this.
Old 02 October 2002, 12:34 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Changing cars slightly... an M5 owner (previously had a modded M3) at my company think my modded MY01 is more fun.

HIS OPINION was that the Scoob was more entertaining and the feeling of acceleration was more pronounced.

He and I are under no illusions that the M5 would stomp all over me and mine but for the grin factor he thinks the Scoob has it.

In the end we all own the cars we want to, appreciate them for what they can and can't do. There is always something faster, better handling and more desirable out there (unless you have tonnes of cash).

Be happy with what you have. After all there are people that look at our cars, be they Scoobs, EVOs, Skylines or BMWs and drool!

<shrugs and wonders off from another "my car is better than your car" thread>
Old 02 October 2002, 12:45 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Smile

£40k is a lot, great car it is and value for money as a brand new vehicle, but come on?......you could spend £20 buying a used R33 and £20k on the engine with a genuine 600bhp+
or if you into straight line top speed.......less than £15k for a LHD Lotus Carlton. The higher the money the better cars you can buy second hand... P1 is half the price of the M3, and with mods..
Old 02 October 2002, 12:53 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Scoobys corner better too.

Old 02 October 2002, 01:00 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Scoobs only corner better when you have had the bump steer removal and played with different springs and arb's
Old 02 October 2002, 01:22 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Quote Nisr227 :

"£40k is a lot, great car it is and value for money as a brand new vehicle, but come on?......you could spend £20 buying a used R33 and £20k on the engine with a genuine 600bhp+
or if you into straight line top speed.......less than £15k for a LHD Lotus Carlton. The higher the money the better cars you can buy second hand... P1 is half the price of the M3, and with mods.."

Your missing the point, people dont buy a 45k M3 for a pure speed thing, if that was the case they would obviously get a Skyline or something similar, it isnt about cost when your buying an M3, it really isnt.

People buy the M3 for many reasons, the entire package that the car offers is why people pay 45k. Its quick, comfortable, safe, it has the image, it has the looks, it is an awesome touring car capable of devouring most cars on the road if need be.

I cant remember the times people have said, "well its a waste of money, my Scoob would **** an M3 for half the money"

Well yes but that isnt why people splash out 45k, the BMW brand is a status symbol, like it or not, how many M3s do you see on the road compared to Scooby's? - Exactly, the ratio must be 10-1. Its a fairly exclusive car that cant be bought by teenagers, it has an aura about it that not many cars have. Its a special car that many many Scooby owners would love to own.

I like the Skyline but would never own one, I think they look ott, I could not imagine pulling up outside a nice resteraunt in a big loud Scooby with spoilers all over it or similar - Iam not trying to sound like a posh tosser here Iam just trying to put accross my point. People who can afford the M3 are not in general the same people that buy Subarus's, yes there are some but alot of these cars are owned by Pilots and Doctors etc etc, its an image thing as well as a prestige car thing. The M3 is a sports car with plenty of heritage and its also prestige, the Scooby and Skylines are just **** fast cars, not prestige nor do they provide the things that the M3 buyer wants.

I dont mean to sound arrogant or whatever but I believe in what I say, the two cars are sooooo different its daft to compare them, yes alot of Scoobies will mince an M3, I still know which one I would rather have!. I hope hobody takes offence to anything Ive said, it wasnt meant like that.

I know there are plenty of people who have gone from Scoobies to M3s and vice versa, Iam talking in general terms here.
Old 02 October 2002, 01:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

well its a waste of money, my Scoob would **** an M3 for half the money
Couldn't agree more Tom, I hate the scooby drivers that say this and then get pi55y when people like NOS Nova and Co55ie present the exact same argument to us. Nova's can be made to be faster than scoobies but you can't argue against the fact that all round the scooby is the better car. Likewise scoobies can be made to be faster than M3's but you can't argue against the fact the M3 is also a better car all round.
Old 02 October 2002, 02:41 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Saxo Boy...so you do talk sense some of the time ?
Old 02 October 2002, 02:56 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Richie - Scary isn't it?
Old 02 October 2002, 04:13 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I obviousley get fed up with cars quick so for me its have fun for less dosh. I know when I get the STI I will sit in it and think where have all the toys gone. BUT I had the toys before and still got bored????Dont listen to a word that Andrew O`Hara says cos he cant drive a tank!!!
He bought an M3 because he has a VERY small *****. Believe me I have stood next to him at a urinal and if I was him I would drive a Ferrari

Quick Reply: BMW employee admits P1 beats M3!!