Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read this in yesterday's Times, and thought it would be of interest to you lot:
Old 23 August 2001, 01:26 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Angry

Next the Police will be surprised when a theaving toe rag is on the recieving end of a few ounces of shot
Old 23 August 2001, 01:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Blu

No they probably won't be surprised but will use the full force of the law to ensure that the man who fired the shot ends up in jail and the victim is compensated - as happened to the Norfolk farmer who did just that.

He's still in jail.
Old 23 August 2001, 01:46 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

And this is a surprise because......

Old BIll hasn't got the resources, what with the "war" against drugs, "crackdown" on speeding etc."

Now, if farmer Giles had said he had seen this bloke drive out of the Black Horse car park and he had overtaken him doing 50 in a 40 zone, he wouldn't have stood a chance. An APB would have been issued immediately.

It's a simple question of priorities you see. You can only police those who consent to being policed.

Also bear in mind what happens when the police catch a burglar. Then what happens when they catch a speeder or "drunk" driver.

See, easy innit? No contest. They are doing what they are told. No wonder the majority of the police are fed up with it too.

Old 23 August 2001, 01:59 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Blu

No they probably won't be surprised but will use the full force of the law to ensure that the man who fired the shot ends up in jail and the victim is compensated - as happened to the Norfolk farmer who did just that.

He's still in jail.[/quote]

Sorry puff - yes I was being very sarcastic. I confess to a rather strong bias on this matter - could be something to do with certain forces threatening law abiding citizens far more than the 'criminal element' and the perspective with which my other hobbies are portrayed... even heavier handed that with speeding

Old 23 August 2001, 02:53 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

You could of course apply to join the police service, take home &lt;£1K a month and help widen the thin blue line. (You would also be there to exercise your discretion whenever you see a speeding Subaru driver go thru' your patch!)

Seriously though some patrol areas (for want of a better description) are very wide with maybe only one or two coppers in it. This has two consequences:

If you are a member of the public the old bill take along time to get to you. And if you are the old bill you have a long time to wait for help if you need it (believe me even a minute can be a very very long time).

Never Mr Blunkett will sort it out.

Jason
Old 23 August 2001, 03:29 PM
TheHolyGrale
Scooby Newbie

Wink

What "amused" me about this was that he was chatting to the Police on his mobile phone all the time he was chasing the guy. I'm suprised they didn't do him for driving without due car and attention.
Old 23 August 2001, 03:40 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JasonHook:
<B>You could of course apply to join the police service, take home &lt;£1K a month and help widen the thin blue line. (You would also be there to exercise your discretion whenever you see a speeding Subaru driver go thru' your patch!)

Seriously though some patrol areas (for want of a better description) are very wide with maybe only one or two coppers in it. This has two consequences:

If you are a member of the public the old bill take along time to get to you. And if you are the old bill you have a long time to wait for help if you need it (believe me even a minute can be a very very long time).

Never Mr Blunkett will sort it out.

Jason[/quote]

I know Jason - used to work for them as a civi - wouldnt take me any more...too old and fat

Old 23 August 2001, 04:42 PM
Pete H
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apparently the police did ask if he was using a hands-free for his mobile whilst driving - you have to wonder about these people...
Old 24 August 2001, 02:27 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

He lives up the road from me. This is the story from the local rag. Makes it quite clear that next time *he will* get his shotgun out.

The bit about doing 100mph is probably true as well

Good Man

--
Mike

Plea for police help ignored as farmer pursues thief

Howdenshire farmer Richard Longthorp is furious at being ticked off about using a mobile phone while driving when he rang the police to say he was in hot pursuit of a thief.
After spotting the man attempting to get away with tools from his workshop, the pig farmer and leading light in the Howden Rural Security Patrol set off in pursuit and got on the phone to give the police a running commentary and directions.
However after trailing the thief?s Land Rover Defender and trailer along motorways and country roads at speeds of up to 70mph for 37 miles and 40 minutes, no police officers arrived to help despite Mr Longthorp?s Jeep Cherokee almost being rammed at one point by the Land Rover.
The response from Humberside Police was merely concern as to whether the mobile phone he was using to talk to them was a hands-free unit or not and that, because the chase was moving across county boundaries into West Yorkshire, they would not be attending but contacting the other force.
?I told him I wasn?t bothered whether it was Humberside, North Yorkshire or Uncle Tom Cobley and all. I thought we had just one police force in this country,? said Mr Longthorp.
Now the angry farmer, who added: ?Next time I won?t phone, I?ll just get my shotgun,? has made complaints to both the Humberside and West Yorkshire Chief Constables. - no West Yorkshire ?cavalry? turned up either.
His complaints have sparked an investigation by a senior police officer and Humberside Police has promise that they are shortly to arrange a meeting with Mr Longthorp.
Mr Longthorp (48), of the 2,000-acre Burland Hall Farm off Thorpe Road, said: ?I was expecting to see the cavalry appear in the form of blue lights in my rear-view mirror. I bet if I?d been doing 100mph down the motorway they would have pulled me up and spent 20 minutes giving me a lecture.?
Eventually, having followed the vehicle along the A614, the M62, M18, through Snaith and down the A 645 towards Castleford, Mr Longthorp lost sight of the vehicle after the driver attempted to ram him and then drove through trees and over a footpath.
Faced with several roads to follow, Mr Longthorp chose the wrong one, telling the police, when they eventually phoned him back as he was 10 miles into his empty-handed return journey, that he was fed up and going home.
He said: ?I had he thief on a plate for them, but they just let him get away.?
Mr Longthorp came across the thief, a man of about 50 of stocky build and who is thought by the police to be a known offender from the Halifax area, at 5.30am in whilst patrolling his farm with his two Alsatian dogs.
Inspector Steve Page, of the Humberside force, told the Goole Times: ?I am sorry that on the occasion of Mr Longthorp experiencing crime on his property that he was let down by a lack of response from the police service.
?He has written to us expressing his concern and it is something we need to investigate thoroughly.
?On the face of it, there seems to have been a breakdown in communication with a neighbouring police force and Mr Longthorp chased the alleged offender across the county boundaries.
?It is unusual that co-operation between forces does not work. Only as recently as August 15, a crime that had occurred in Humberside Police area resulted in three arrests in co-operation with officers in North and South Yorkshire after offenders crossed the county borders.
?Clearly, we do not want this to happen again and a senior police officer is now in the process of investigating the matter and will be in contact with Mr Longthorp to arrange a meeting very shortly.?
Old 24 August 2001, 03:04 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

It would appear that burglary is a low priority crime these days (clear up rate too low?). Surely the Police should have been galvanised into action when the Landie started ramming his Jeep. That type of crime (road rage etc) seems to be a very high priority crime these days. Step outside a pub and beat the crap out of someone and you'll get a slap on the wrist. Step out of a car and smack someone (even if they deserve it) and you'll be in prison straight away.