Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on LHD EU imports

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2001, 12:42 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance companies will probably charge extra if the car is not full UK spec. All UK Spec MY00s have twin airbags and ABS. There may be an additional Insurance increase for LHD.

I'd be tempted to buy a second hand RHD EU import MY00. You will get back most of the extra money you have to pay out when you come to sell it.

Cheers,

Ian.

Old 23 August 2001, 12:48 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack this but its relevant, if you bring it in do you need to get the lights changed or anything else to get it through an MOT ? Since its LHD.

Regards
Cammy
Old 23 August 2001, 12:52 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by camk:
<B>Sorry to hijack this but its relevant, if you bring it in do you need to get the lights changed or anything else to get it through an MOT ? Since its LHD.

Regards
Cammy[/quote]

From what I've read on previous threads yes you do need to change the headlights.

Thanks for the info so far.
Old 23 August 2001, 09:47 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm currently looking at buying a scoob and a LHD EU import has been offered to me. In the price range i'm looking at I can afford a MY97 RHD UK car but this is a MY00 with 5500 miles. I'm looking for help from people who own or have knowledge of LHD EU imports. I've been told the car is to UK spec but without air con (which I thought was not fitted as std on UK cars. I thought it was fitted afterwards at dealerships). The seller says it doesn't have airbags. Is this correct? He says this because the steering wheel does not have SRS stamped on it. I thought all EU car now had them. Also would the car have a cat 1 alarm / imobiliser as std. I asked and the seller says it just has whatever alarm comes with the car. After reading previous threads on imports I understand the alarm is fitted in the UK by the buyer as the Dutch imports don't have a CAT1 alarm.

Any advice is welcome, I would be interested hear peoples opinions on LHD imports as I never considered this option until now.
Old 23 August 2001, 11:11 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

STi....

Up until MY00, you could have bought a basic Impreza turbo in the Netherlands without Airbags or ABS.

If the car you have been offered didn't have Airbags then it may not have ABS either which could be the deciding factor for you.

I would say that any LHD car is worth circa 30% less than a RHD equivalent (in the UK)and as the car you have been offered may not have ABS or Airbags, I would consider that it was worth £1 - £1.5k less again.

Would make a good trackday/rally car though with a few mods!

Aircon was a dealer fitted option on MY00's in the Netherlands (as it was in the UK).

Otherwise the specs are the same (apart from the lack of a CAT 1 immobiliser (again a Subaru UK fitted option) and of course the steering wheel on the wrong side!) You would also need RHD headlights at some point (before the first MOT at the latest).

I test drove a 'poverty spec' turbo when I ordered my Dutch RHD car and found the Nardi/Personal (can't remember) non-airbag wheel quite nice. Although, if I had a non-air-bag car, I'd go for one of those sexy removable wheels

[This message has been edited by Stephen Read (edited 23 August 2001).]
Old 23 August 2001, 10:17 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

hi Guy,

thought I'd answer here as well as replying to your email

I bought my LHD from Holland and it doesn't have an airbag or abs. It came fitted with a Subaru imobiliser but this isn't sufficient for CAT1 standard so I had an alarm system fitted.

Stephen is right about the wheel - it's a Nardi one that I'm not too keen on but it's ok i suppose. Here is a photo of mine

I think that you do need to get the lights sorted before the MOT but if you buy from new you can get this done before you pick the car up as part of "the deal".

Ian is wrong on both points he makes about insurance There is no extra cost for LHD or it not being UK spec.

From my own experience I'd recommend it but the 2nd hand market has dropped a lot since I looked into it nearly 3 years ago and there are some great RHD deals out there as well.

good luck in choosing !

Andy.
Old 23 August 2001, 11:43 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I bought my LHD rex from Holland. The MY00 was available with ABS and airbags or you could get one without ABS and airbags. If it didn't have ABS it didn't have airbags either. You could not get one with ABS but no airbag or vice versa. The ones without airbags did come with a Nardi steering wheel. Aircon, yes only as a dealer option. They came with immobiliser but no CAT 1 alarm.

WREXY.
Old 24 August 2001, 10:01 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all the advice and info Fellas.

I think that i'm going to stick to a RHD car. I'm looking at keeping the car for 4 years so it's got to be right. Air con i can live without but it's nice to have. ABS for me is a must have.

Andy again cheers for taking the time to email.

Now if one of you would like to sell me your well cared for low mileage turbo