Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belts.

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2002, 08:22 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone fitted a 5 point harness to their 02 Sti? I would like to fit a set of Willans belts and wonder if there is any problems with this - do you need any subframe assembly or can you fit directly to the original mouning points - any info would be appreciated
Old 30 September 2002, 09:42 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have thought that 4 point would be easy, so long as you don't want to use the rear seats, but five means one in the middle between your legs, that would mean drilling the floor, and then plating it and fixing the mounting point, and you might need a hole throught the seat!
Good luck.
Old 30 September 2002, 11:09 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

I have some Sparco 3 point harnesses in my car (Rover Coupe Turbo). They were easy to fit in the Rover using the original mounting hole for the rear seatbelts and the subframe to floor mounts for the side straps.

The best thing about them is that they have a seatbelt clip on the rear strap so you can unclip the harness to let people in the back.

Way more practical than fixed harnesses, it may be something to consider.

After a quick search i've found a picture of them here www.euroracing.fi/tuotteet/sparco/tuning/index.htm
They are the second harnesses down - no.4608

HTH

Gareth

[edited to correct link]

[Edited by Da Booga - 9/30/2002 11:16:49 PM]
Old 01 October 2002, 12:00 AM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Hey Gareth.....
You couldn't find a site in English??

Or you have some Finnish connection??

Try these http://www.sportscar-parts.com/sprbelts.htm
http://www.overboost.com/obs/browse_...ng%20Harnesses
http://www.overboost.com/obs/browse_...ng%20Harnesses
Old 01 October 2002, 12:02 AM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know they are all US sites.... I couldn't find any in English either.... not on a quick look anyway....).

There is this one as well http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/harness/harness.asp
Old 01 October 2002, 12:05 AM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

http://www.upracing.com/index.php?pa...6241a8a0e51c49
Old 01 October 2002, 12:12 AM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

LOL

As I said it was only a quick search, basically the first site that came up on google with a picture. I just wanted a picture so he could see what they look like. You never know he may be finnish and understand every single word on the page (doubtfull)

How many pictures of the same thing do you think he wants to look at

This gives me chance to add that they cost just over £50 each all in.

Gareth
Old 01 October 2002, 09:02 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I have a set of 3" four point Sabelts in my STi7, and also had them in my previous WRX with Cobra Suzuka one piece race seats.

It is not a particularly easy job - you are better off fitting clip to eye bolt versions rather than bolt in ones, and should keep the original belts in too as harnesses are an absolute pain on the road.

You will have to source some longer eye bolts than the ones that come with the belts, and have to be VERY careful when fitting the centre rear ones as they bolt into a blind hole which has something behind it, which looks suspiciously like the fuel tank. Use too long bolts, and you are screwing into the tank.

The most important thing to check is from a safety point - you have to be careful fitting harnesses to reclining seats as they can collapse under the downward belt pressure in an accident as they are not designed to carry those type of loadings.
You need to check the top belt position whilst sitting in your normal driving position in the car - if where the belt goes over your shoulder it remains in a straight line from shoulder to rear seat mount, you should be ok. If the top belt touches the bottom of the slot in the seat and then down to your shoulder, then I would NOT recommend you fit them as in an accident the energy will be passed through the seat frame which could then collapse.

If you still want to go ahead let me know and I will post some more detailed instructions up.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 10/1/2002 1:27:46 PM]
Old 11 October 2002, 06:33 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone who replied - possibly wont bother now as it seems a lot of hassle but thanks again for taking the time.

Ian
Old 11 October 2002, 07:44 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

And for anyone else who may be interested....I agree with DaveTS on this, when I was investigating my cage/harness set up I read lots on the use of harness in a 'road car', you need to understand what is required re angle of the rear straps.

Apparently, if you get the angle wrong, you will crush your (and your passenger) spine

Hope this helps (someone).