Sponsored by:

Tuning WRX 2001

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2002, 05:55 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum but not to Scooby ownership, used to have a 99 Turbo before trading for a VX220 over a year ago.
I have now aquired a 2001 WRX RS out here in Germany where I currently live/work and would like some tips on tuning, although quick it doesn't feel like it has the same urgency as my old one and driving down the autobahn in 5th gear sucks at average say speeds of around 100mph when you want to put your foot down because you have some sort of turbo diesel up your *** and he has much more power than I do unless I drop a cog.
When your working the box ther car is fine but I feel the torque in the higher gears could be improved, I have seen what PE have to offer for around 1K but obviously dont want to invalidate the warranty, I have looked at the subaru website and the performance pack shows 1600 squid incl. fitting but it does not say what it consists of and how much more BHP(website fault!), anyone care to enlighten me on how this upgrade compares to the PE TEK1 or 2 upgrade, obviously if I was to take the WRS upgrade through Subaru they would have to honour my warranty even on a German spec WRX? as the IM warranty is valid across Europe I believe.
After buying this car out here it shows you how much we get screwed in the UK on prices, it is less than a year old and specced RS? basically has STi gold alloys, STi style seats, guage set for centre console and aircon as standard being Germany, also because it was the subaru dealers managers car he put a VDO dayton MS6000 satnav in it which he happily said I could have(retails at 2K alone), the car had done about 5K over the mileage threshold for the age but it had been looked after regardless of cost, the end price for me being the equivalent of 16K!
So anyway if someone could recommend what is best PE or prodrive although I think PE offer the best value for money but without the warranty cover obviously.

Regards,

John.
Old 29 September 2002, 06:00 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPP = ECU swap, exhaust backbox, mid-section and small de-cat, plus intercooler pipework.

Not very good value, but is well proven and does yield good power benefits (+30bhp), also the backbox and mid-section sound much better than standard twin pipe.

Not sure if warranty is applicable outside of UK, ask local dealer.