Sponsored by:

Police - hypocrites??

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 01:05 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Drove through Skipton last night and inadvertently had my fog lights on alonside the side lights. Low and behold got pulled by the local marked Impreza and we exchanged small talk....nice car and the like. Asked me about modifications which I kept to myself and then gave me a £30.00 fine!!!!

Fair enough you might say, legalities of having fog lights on etc. but heres the irony. Hes sat there with his blue flashing lights, headlights and yes you guessed it his FOG LIGHTS!!

Asked him if it was a joke and got the reply "Well I'm laughing". Nice one to**er!!
Old 26 September 2002, 01:09 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Tw@ts

i wonder how the bad attitude to police comes about....?
Old 26 September 2002, 01:09 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

So why did you have them on in the first place? Delighted you got a fine.
Old 26 September 2002, 01:12 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

22BUK-Cheers mate.

Girlfriend had picked me up from work and thought "they looked better" than the headlights. Needless to say she got a beating!!! One of the more expensive fashion accessories that she's made me pay out for.
Old 26 September 2002, 01:19 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

NEVER listen to a woman!
Old 26 September 2002, 04:06 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

A police cop once told me that anything above the bumper was classed as driving lights, and anything below the bumper was classed as a fog light.

I used to have my fogs on lots when I had my Cavalier GSi a number of years ago. I was asked to turn them off on a regular basis!

Old 26 September 2002, 05:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Next time

Ask them straight off 'am i going to get a ticket?'

Answer - Yes you are then don't enter into conversation or groveling unless you want to, n o point really. If you want to push your luck ask them to hurry up as you are on the way round to **** his sister/wife/mother and you do not want to loose your place in the que!

Answer - No then chat away

Just because theyt are being polite does not mean your gonna get busted, they are just doing a job and don't always take it personally.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/26/2002 6:22:05 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 06:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

ah the joys of the driving lights conversion.....I can't put my fogs on as I have not got any
good on the copper for giving you a ticket by the way.
annoys the **** out of me that does.
I'll admit the copper was taking the pesh a little with having his on tho. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

EDIT : P.s give your bird the ticket, she might think twice about what's cool then

Andy

[Edited by Fuzz - 9/26/2002 6:10:49 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 06:20 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

The switch for my spots is located down between the gear stick and driver's seat, hence sometimes they're on in the morning without me realising - until one or two people flash!

The divvies in the GTEs, GSis etc who have their fogs on are annoying, but if you look closely they don't actually dazzle. They're angled to light the sides of the road up in fog.

So when the cops turn up hours later following burglaries, just think, they may be doing more important things like stopping 18yr olds with their fogs on!

I'll get my coat before the thread goes mad again!
Old 27 September 2002, 09:03 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Nice attitude fellas'
I pulled up outside a shop the other day and noticed from my reflection (which I was staring at lovingly) that my fogs were on, presumably I'd knocked the switch which is next to the coin holder.
I turned them off.
This also happened once before a few months ago.
Do you think I should have been caught and forced to pay £30 as well?
Police could be better employed catching real criminals, fog lights are annoying but as far as I know have never caused injury or harm to anyone, get some perspective.

Dave
Old 27 September 2002, 09:12 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the fogs on permanently in the scoob. As pointed out, they point down and dont dazzle (dont all fog lights by definition - they're fog lights and light underneath the fog ie the road) and I think the side lights alone arent enough to be seen with in dusk/dawn.

Its a bit likle the old turbo button on old pc's - why would you have the ability to have extra light and not use it ? Besides, I think all cars look cool with fogs and side lights on...
Old 27 September 2002, 09:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

What I'd like to know is who designs so-called "ergonomic" control layouts in cars?
In the Scoob, our Xantia, the previous ZX, the GTE before that, in fact every car I've been in for a while, the foglight switches seem to be an afterthought. Both front and rear ones light up when they're "on", but you can't see 'em for your hands/the wheel.
Why can't manufacturers put the warning lights on the dash in front of you, like the main beam light, and arrange for it to be bright and attention grabbing during daylight hours, and dimmer at night? Surely the electronics is not beyond them in this day and age? Not when the Vectra can have an indicator unit that flashes louder as you go faster?
Alcazar
Old 27 September 2002, 10:09 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Warning lights on the dash what like Renault do?!

Legally fog lights can only be used when visability is restricted.

I find some front fog lights do actually cause a dazzle effect, especially on wet roads. Rear ones are obviously much worse.

Turn them off! I know one policeman that gave a woman three points for the front fog lights being on. Driving with undue care and attention! He does have the tendaancy to go to extremes and apparently she annoyed him!
Old 27 September 2002, 10:20 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

The muppets at the local dealership used to switch my fogs on for their 'road test/thrash' when I took my car in for a service. Got loads of flashing and angry looks when I drove my car off after picking it up, before I realised when I got home.

Hence one of the reason why I don't go to that dealership anymore.
Old 27 September 2002, 10:29 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think the points been missed.

Yep I agree fogs are a little annoying. Its one thing getting fined, but to be relievd of £30.00 while the car thats pulled you is committing the same if not a worse offence (headlights & fogs)is slightly annoying.

Anyway, went to the police station with a witness to complain last night and they tore the ticket up and admitted they've instructed their squad car not to use fogs in future. Slightly embarrassing for them but a lesson learnt agreed!!
Old 27 September 2002, 10:47 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Good for you mate.

It pi$$es me off when you see them hooning it off down the fast lane at 100 with no lights flashing. I always thought they were classed as normal and were not allowed to speed etc unless they were in hot persuit or on their way to a call in which case they would have the lights on.

Andy

[Edited by Andy Hall - 9/27/2002 10:49:20 AM]
Old 27 September 2002, 10:57 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

regarding comments about side lights not being sufficient light at dawn/dusk, my understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that side lights are for parking only, and you can be done for driving around with side lights. If it is sufficiently dark to need lights you should have your headlights on. As I said, this is only my understanding.

Steve
Old 27 September 2002, 11:47 AM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with 22BUK, MATTel and RB5320.

If you want to drive around with side lights and fog lights on.....why not sell your Scoob and join the saddo's in BMW's that all seem to do it !!
Old 27 September 2002, 11:50 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

yep it pi$$es me off when I car is behind me with them and it doesn't look cool IMHO, they are called *fog* lights for that very reason, so if it ain't foggy turn the f*ckers off....simple!

Gary
Old 27 September 2002, 12:14 PM
GazP
Scooby Regular

Switch them off and stop blinding people like the Saxo brigade do.
Old 27 September 2002, 12:32 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Agree, if someone comes up behind me with fogs I flash my rear fog a couple of times, sometimes they turn off those that don't get treated to my rear fog light for the duration they are following.

Had one idiot in a Lexus flash me for doing this once.

It seems to be the latest fashion these days, especially amongst BMW's and Peugots.

Dave

p.s. if your lights aren't bright enough with just sidelights, did you consider switching on the headlights?????
Old 27 September 2002, 12:54 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

why is it that manufacturers can fit a switch for a heated rear window that switches off whent he ignition is switched off and then has to be switched on again whilst fog light switches all stay in the on position. ignoring deliberate switching on of fog lights i'm sure a lot of the rear fog light dazzlers have either forgot they had swithed them on or have pressed it by accident. if they had to be deliberatly switched on everytime you started the journey then you'd know it was deliberate
Old 27 September 2002, 08:48 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My VW Caddy van and the wifes Beemer both have auto off fog light switches- when you switch off the lights the foggys go off too. So anyone in a Beemer with the fogs on must have put them on on purpose - tossers!
BUT- the standard fog lights on the Scoobs are a bag of sh**e, I guess they couldn't dazzle anyone?

[Edited by zip106 - 9/27/2002 8:50:39 PM]
Old 28 September 2002, 12:32 AM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Angry

How sad that all people have to worry about is fog lights....!

FFS, who actually cares? Chastising people for driving with fogs on... oh dear.....

Should have just said you'd driven through an area of fog and forgotten to switch them off.... unles it was a 30 degree clear day
Old 28 September 2002, 12:54 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
that doesnt help richard.

i got done in wales a few years ago for driving in fog, with my front fog lamps on, whilst spectating on the RAC rally.

A cop parked, with his blues going, in a small stretch of road between two fog banks. I slowed down thinking there was a crash and he did me for having front fogs on as the small section of road i was on had no fog. The whole purpose of his blues was to slow you to pull you, there was no crash.

Complete tosser, i paid the fine rather than drive 100's of miles to contest it in court, i bet plenty others did too.

Cops like this give the genuinely good cops a bad name, they are arogant ***** and do nothing but make joe public have complete contempt for them.
Old 28 September 2002, 01:42 AM
knuckledragger
Scooby Regular

It's unfortunate that modern police 'services' strive to be comprised of a cross-section of the society they police. Just look around... there are bound to be some Tw@ts, etc. Most of the constabulary who I know wouldn't bother to write out tickets for anything. 'If it's not serious enough to warrant being arrested for then I'm not dealing with it' one said to me... that's an attitude I can live with.
Old 28 September 2002, 03:05 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought on the sidelight train of thought,I seem to remember reading somewere that if it's a built up area with streetlighting and a 30mph speed limit you didn't need to have your headlights on just side lights ?

I could be wrong any way

My fave is having the Amber Whelen bar lights on the roof of the car then the normal thing happens you get stoped by the bored teenage coppers and saying you can't have them on your car i let them go into their speel then i pull the Vehicle lighting regs out of the glove box and point them to the relevent sections that define an Amber warning light that tends to Pish them off a bit.

I had a paddy wagon stop me one night in Reading,they didn't beleve me when i showed them the regs they wouldn't beleve me so they called for backup a traffic car they didn't think that i should have them on the car but after reading the regs they were not happy,after giving my car the full monty then gave me a producer and sent me on my way

But their not all bad some have a hart!

Huxley
Old 28 September 2002, 04:36 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Question

Ermmmm.....

Are they not classed as Driving Lamps rather than Fogs ?

Pretty sure they are
Old 28 September 2002, 10:39 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

no chris, they are fog lamps, unless you install aftermarket spots like the PIAA/Cibie conversion.
Old 28 September 2002, 10:41 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

oh, and the law changed about 10 years ago, sidelights no longer constitute driving lights, so you must drive on dipped/main beam when it's dark, the sidelights are for parking only.

Quick Reply: Police - hypocrites??