Sponsored by:

Aviation Fuel in a wrx?????

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2001, 04:44 PM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been recently told by an ex motorcycle TT racer that he used to use aviation fuel in his bike and that many rally cars also use the stuff in their motors, I live within 5 miles from a local airport which is selling avgas for only a few pence more than SUL. I believe the octane rating is between 107 and 110 ron. What would happen if this was put in my 95wrx, obviously mixed with normal or SUL? can this be done? it would work out a lot cheaper than using octane booster!! The car should be run on 100+ ron as its an import so any views please speak aloud as im very curious.
Old 20 August 2001, 04:50 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Not a great idea unfortunatelty...

AvGas is leaded, which will knacker your lambda sensor which will in turn cause a check engine light.

It may be feasible if you fitted a lead-tolerant lambda sensor, but it would still knacker your cats which would cause problems if you need to get an emissions test done during your mot.

Cheers,

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexM (edited 20 August 2001).]
Old 20 August 2001, 05:08 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Aviation fuel's about the same grade as parrafin (plus some anti-icing compound) so I wouldn't recommend it.
Cheers
Kav
Old 20 August 2001, 05:11 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Smile

your mad welshy. modify your car another way.
Old 20 August 2001, 05:34 PM
Paul Olson
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kav:
<B>Aviation fuel's about the same grade as parrafin (plus some anti-icing compound) so I wouldn't recommend it.
Cheers
Kav[/quote]

There are two types of readily available aviation fuel. Jet A1 is basically kerosene and is used in, surprise,surprise, jet engines. That is of no use in your car.

On the other hand Avgas 100LL is basically petrol. But it has a much higher lead content than even 4 star. Expect as much as 2g of lead per gallon, compared with .001 g per gallon in unleaded. But the good news is that the 100 octane rating is actually RON+MON/2 (the US standard for measuring octane) and equates to a RON of somewhere between 105 and 110.

100LL avgas is much cheaper than UL as it carries little duty. I think it currently costs around 55p/litre. But that means you can't run it on the road. (asides from ******** your lambda sensor).

It is quite common for people to mix avgas and SUL for track events.

Old 20 August 2001, 06:39 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

If motorsport competitors are using it they are most likely cheating
Old 20 August 2001, 09:00 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul you are obviously connected to the flying game in some way due to your detailed knowledge,however I'll have to pick fault with the following:-

Quote "Jet A1 is basically kerosene and is used in, surprise,surprise, jet engines. That is of no use in your car."

For Scoobies maybe although diesels run quite nicely on it,mixed with hydraulic oil........almost cheeper than red

Quote "100LL avgas is much cheaper than UL as it carries little duty. I think it currently costs around 55p/litre. "

If you can get me Avgas at that price then I'll take as much as your offering as it currently sells for between 85p - £1/litre.

Anyway enough of the nit-picking where and what do you fly & are you a fellow Ppruner ?

Old 20 August 2001, 11:03 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I know that in days of yore RAF folk used to top their cars up with Avgas. In fact, I was in our local Shell garage this evening the way home from work (still in uniform) and was asking when the new 98 RON fuel was coming out. The ole boy behind the counter told me and then started reminiscing about his days in the RAF and how they used to pinch avgas for their cars. Apparently avgas made them hard to start in the cold.
I'd heard about Jet A1 being used in diesels before though. Conversely there are some russian military jets that will run on diesel.

Stuff you want though, is Avpin. Your car would go like a rocket. Sadly it would be in about 2,000 different directions all at the same time.

555, what's your Pprune nick then?
Old 21 August 2001, 07:34 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

When i did my techs, my instructor called Avpin something else - "rocket fuel". There are 2 types of the stuff with different detonation ratings?

also mentioned that he had used Avgas 100LL (blue) in his car when he was in the raf and it caused no problems at all. He was maybe all talk but he knew his stuff. I wouldn't try it.

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 21 August 2001).]
Old 21 August 2001, 07:48 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> 555, what's your Pprune nick then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely no self-respecting Ppruner would divulge themselves

Richard

Old 21 August 2001, 07:55 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Surely no self-respecting Ppruner would divulge themselves
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i wouldn't
Old 21 August 2001, 07:55 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol
Old 21 August 2001, 08:33 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well that's accounted for three of us then

Richard
Old 21 August 2001, 01:30 PM
spurner
Scooby Regular

I've run straight AvGas in my wrx on many occasions without any problems. There was a mild performance gain and lots of meaty backfires and flames. :P

I don't have any cats but heard that AvGas can damage them, I know many other people who have run it also. Alternatively you could try adding toluol with a ratio of 1:4 with regular petrol which should increase the octane sufficiently.
Old 21 August 2001, 01:35 PM
Paul Olson
Scooby Newbie

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by 555 BOY:
<B>Anyway enough of the nit-picking where and what do you fly & are you a fellow Ppruner ?[/quote]

Haven't flown for a couple of years, but used to fly spam cans at Bristol Airport, as well as Robinson R22B.
Fuel prices must be lower at Bristol airport, as it is much cheaper than 80p/litre. I'll check exactly how much it is.

As for Ppruner, I don't have a clue what you are talking about!