Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOORAY - Finally got a job - but need help :)

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 12:03 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon,

Congrats on the job front. Sorry but can't help on the advice.

Cheers

Mark
Old 16 August 2001, 12:06 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well done on the new job!

Just remember that your physical position and look on your face can be heard the other end of the phone! So sit up straight (or stand) and smile as you speak
Old 16 August 2001, 12:08 AM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

Cool

laugh a lot and tell jokes!

I used to be involved in CC and sales years ago. At the pinnacle of my career I was a 5 Star Timeshare Shark (Those who know, know)

The best advice I can give you is to project enthusiasm, friendlyness and positveness into your voice, but there is a thin line between this and pushiness, overstep it and they'll put the phone down on you. Also don't be apologetic this is just showing them the way out! After all your doing them a favour! hehe

I would advise to sticking to the script that you have probably be given but adapt it to your own style of talking, you don't need to keep to the word. Often these things contain quite deep psychological tricks its all about building a desire to say yes. There are loads of books about this.

There is a saying that salesmen are born not made and I think thats true. You will know very quickly if you have what it takes.

I don't envy you sales is a tough, ruthless job, expect plenty of rejection however well you think you came across.

Its a game of numbers my son (cockney accent)

Pete

[This message has been edited by Web Guru (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 12:09 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

get through the big numbers of calls. If you don't get a lead in the first couple of minutes try the next company. You will get loads of bored middle management who can't spend money but want you to know how good you are and talk endlessly. The ones you are after are the ones who listen to your intro and respond with, 'funny you should mention that'
Old 16 August 2001, 12:10 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

When you cold call, tell em 'i know where you live, where your kids go to school, etc.. so buy this product or else!'

Just kidding... excellent news mate, glad you're sorted.
Old 16 August 2001, 12:26 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DW

Congratulations!

Sales is what you make of it. You'll have no problems with the technical knowledge, but save it for the last resort. What most people are thinking is "Why do I need that?", or "What will it do for me?". You have to convert that to "How did I ever live without one", so it is all about getting hold of their emmotions.

Good luck.

Duncan

PS. Time to change your profile!
Old 16 August 2001, 12:45 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

GREAT news DW! well done mate...

The best advice I can give in sales..

a) LISTEN if there is any chance of you selling something to them, they will tell you in one way or another. You've just got to be able to spot the buying signals..

Like simple ones like "How much will it cost?" Don't be affraid of this. This means that if it's the right price, they'll consider it.

then...

You should be asking quality questions (open "what are your thoughts on a new website" or leading "what kind of website would suit your company best", and NOT closed questions "would you like a new website?") BUT...

then once you're at that point where it's tipping over.. you can use a good closed question with confidence as if it's a foregone conclusion like "OK, shall I get that info in the post to you?" as an open question like "How would you feel about me sticking that in the post" would have the effect (that we wanted earlier) of making them think about it.

The important thing is to get them talking to you, and if you are listening and genuinely interested in what they have to say, they will sell it to themselves.

On top of all that, it's a numbers game.. some will, some won't, so what.

ABOVE ALL. Be decent, honest and deal with integrity and honour. You are offering a service and you need to believe in it. You are merely explaining that and giving someone the opportunity to take notice of it. This will come across in your voice and persona if you really believe it.

Have fun mate.

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 12:57 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Talking

ARRRHHH No!!!

I get people like you calling me all the time . If you call some one, and they say they are not interested because all their web design, administration etc are conducted by our HQ in the US, then it could be me you're speaking too

Seriously, good luck and I hope it works out.
Old 16 August 2001, 11:31 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to post this in general, but I need the replies and it is mildly Scoob related as it means I can now continue saving for my first Scoob

Anyway, finally managed to get a job after being out of work for nearly three months - hooray

It is not ideal, not what I want, and £10k less than I was on (basic salary), but has good commission possibilities -

The job's in telesales, selling websites to businesses for a local internet company.

The negative is that I have always steared clear of telesales, especially cold-calling, but the positives are it gets me back earning, it is an industry I enjoy and know, and the commission structure allows a realistic OTE of "double" what I was earning before.

Now the advice:

I have never done telesales before, or cold-calling so please could you give me some advice on how best to approach it, tactics, strategies etc?

Cheers
DW (Glad to be back)

Maybe now I can buy the "LSD DW" (L5 DDW) number plate I have seen Probably not though (Police interest etc)
Old 16 August 2001, 11:38 AM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Simon,

Can't help on the cold calling, but glad to see you got sorted before having to sell the car.

Cheers,

ChrisB.
Old 16 August 2001, 11:43 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Try not to ask questions that can be answered either yes or no.

Instead of asking "do you have a web site", ask "what current web strategy do they have in place" so this gets them talking and you find out what your company can do for them. And then you let rip with how your can improve their strategy

Also, don't have a pre planned intro as it sticks out a mile, like your reading from a script. Assess the person your talking to and go from there.

laters

fris
Old 16 August 2001, 01:24 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

For a starter....

Use open questions not closed
Make a positive impact in first 20 seconds
Let them talk 80% of the time
LISTEN to what they say
Be honest
If they can't talk, find out when they can and call them back then (but make sure you do)
Learn the USPs and FABs of your product
Target people who are likely ot be interested - let them buy from you rather than selling to them..
Maintain control in the conversation
Be nice and cheery
Do NOT try and tell jokes or be sarcastic
Be professional
Don't oversell, when they show buying signals, shut-up!
Learn to handle objections
Learn how to close

Glad you've found something

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 01:25 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good news mate. All I would suggest is to talk to people about the web with the passion you talk about Imprezas - You'll have no probs making a succcess of it
Old 16 August 2001, 01:45 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Glad you have got fixed up.

You should always allow up to six months unless you are lucky.

In the job you are going to, only one piece of advise,

Keep Smiling, however difficult it is.

All the best in your new venture,

John Catlin.

Old 16 August 2001, 02:02 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Si
Really pleased, I know it's not the opportunity that u were looking for but at least it's better than decorating.

Can't add to the very sound guidance offered above. It's a percentage game, the more calls the more conversions. President of Standard Oil was once asked why their exploration programme was so successful. His answer "we drill more wells", nuff said.

But you do need to maintain the enthusiasm and be just as positive on the days last call as you were on the very first one.

Looking to set up another "challenge" in October, looks like you'll be there to drive me off the road again

B
Old 16 August 2001, 02:18 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Simon,

Someone told me when you're fed up and just want to go home, make that last phone call!

She picked up quite a bit of business that way!

Also know that people are less receptive on Monday morning, and most receptive Thursday/Friday afternoon.

Good luck
Andy

Old 16 August 2001, 02:22 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you're back to work

Advice:
Can't tell you much, I'm afraid.

I do, however, receive a lot of cold calls myself, and I must admit I really hate them.
All I can say is:
- be friendly
- be positive
- be professional

Don't say "don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you anything.." if you really are.

Be prepared for a lot of rejection, but remember it isn't personal.
There will, I'm sure, be plently of sucesses to celebrate.

I apologise in advance if you ever get me on the phone...

Rich
Old 16 August 2001, 02:28 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Talking

DW,

Well done mate. Glad to hear you're earning some Subaru vouchers again. Can't offer much advice that hasn't already been proferred, except to say don't be too pushy. The second I start to feel someone is pressurising me into something, the walls go up, big style.

Congrats again and best of luck!

Jerome.
Old 16 August 2001, 02:35 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Depending on the size of your cahoonas, and also depending on what your commision is paid on.. you can approach it in different ways.

If they are a "warm leads" I.e someone has done the donkey work, its mainly about Info-explain-close. How you do each part depends on what your product is, and if you understand it and wether it sells itself. Selling Ice to Eskimos is possible, you just need to convince them that the Ice your selling is so much better than all the other Ice in the north pole.

If its cold sales, you need an instant rapport and you need to constantly chase chase chase people who you "feel" are intrested. But, do not be overbearing and pushy...that in itself could be enough to set them off and take no notice. Captivating the audience is one thing, getting their hands in their pocket is another. Believe in the product *even if its ****e* and try to remember how cold calling sales people pissed you off once, and how you would like to be approached in the same situation. Closer comes with a different feel here, you have to remember that you have got this far-Try not to give them time to think on their feet, it increases the chance for them to walk away. Dont talk to them like Del Boy, and never say "you know it makes sense". If you think your getting somewhere, and the product is sold in units as apposed to "one thing" close with "Ok then Sir, how many would you like at this price?". Always mark the price above what your selling it at over the phone, if its a set retail price that you cannot play with (i,e you have no discount authority) then dont mess. The joy of marking it up slightly is that if the products good then it does'nt have to be cheaper than down the road, the service and the aftersales package should be better than XYZ, (so you tell the customer anyway). Remember that you dont have to be cheaper to be better. You would rather spend £50.00 on a product if served by a Jennifer Anniston look-a-like than £45.00 down the road by some dopey *** bloke with long hair. So come across on the phone in the right manner, and remember that there is someone on the other end that probably has something better to do than listen to you waffle. Like someone said above, ask them the question...it makes them think and realise quickly what you are getting at.

Just remember that if you lose a sale, there is one around the corner.

Kill em and eat em mate, Im sure you will be fine.

Ron

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 03:10 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Keep your chin up always, people will be rude, I do what your about to do, people are getting a lot of calls from internet companies as we are suffering.
Just put the last call behind you and press on, the next 1 may be worth £££'ssss,
Regards,
Andyp
Old 16 August 2001, 06:58 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Simon,

If you are working for an ISP they should have a lot of products apart from websites to offer which should increase your sales potential. These might be leased lines, dial up access, hosted email etc. As with previous posts find out what your companies USP is. This may be they have some top in a few internet magazines for service etc. Find out about the facilities your company has and its infrastructure. Does it partner with companies like Sun, Microsoft, Compaq etc.

If the company uses a type of server or a type of network switch find out what this is and what it does. Like anything else it has been purchased because it does things better than other products.

Find out any referencable customers that use
your ISP and share them if the customer is Interested.

If they have a website they will want to know about security and firewalls. How many website services do you offer, try and get the customer to go for a managed service where you look after the health of the server and the site. You will make more margin on this.

If websites are the the key sell then what would the company you are calling use the site for. Getting the company to use the website themselves will potentially get them to buy a bigger pipe to your company and buy better web services and even consultancy.

Find out what the customer does before calling them and try and find out if they have a compelling event which will want them to build or transfer a web site to you.

If the person you are calling is a techi then
talk techi. If they are business oriented then how will they make More Money from a web site. If your company has any success stories about this share them. eg xyz orders increased by 150% over 6 months.

As with everything else everybody has said

Sell what you have.
Don't Promise things you can not give them.

Simon

Old 16 August 2001, 07:10 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well done mate - being out of work is lousy.

You've chosen a tough one but get it right, and you'll find it satisfying and very financially rewarding. Have a look at these guys
Old 16 August 2001, 07:21 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Si' good on ya mate, well happy for ya 1st beer's on me
See ya soon... G
Old 16 August 2001, 07:39 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mr P

Great news - presume Friday beers are back on again??

Dales

PS A man that talks as much Bo**ocks as you do should have no problem in sales
Old 16 August 2001, 09:27 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Well done Dreamweaver. Just had a job that might have been for you actually.

I help train corporate account managers and manager a team of 6 account managers that are phone based so can give you lots of ideas.

I'll get some stuff together and email it to you.

Good luck and hope it works out well. Let me know how you get on.

AllanB
Old 16 August 2001, 11:56 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers everyone for the great support.

It is all new to me, so I will copy all the advice from this thread, and take it with me on Monday morning.

It is a new challenge, and as many have said I may find I actually enjoy it, or can do it even better than I imagined.

As with everything in life, you have to give it a go or you will never know.

Thanks once again to everyone on here, and see you all soon.

Simon

PS Dales - Friday beers may take a while until I have paid of the accrued debts from being out of work - or I may just get Sarah to pay as she has started her new job now
Old 17 August 2001, 12:46 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

I worked with a bloke on telesales who stood up and paced when he talked. We all thought he was a w***er until we saw the sales charts end of the month. Then we all stood up!!! Stand up and pace like a peacock and if you believe in what ypou are selling go for it. f you don't believe, get a new job cause you will never survive.

I am videoing action at croft this weekend for Glen at Revolution Motorsport. When you get your scoooby let me know and I'll give you a tape of your circuit for free. Always want to give to those with challenges who get there.
Old 17 August 2001, 02:00 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Talking

hurray!! well done mate!
Old 17 August 2001, 02:08 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

CLOSE, MATCH, CONFIRM, CLOSE!

Thats the Golden rule, if you do that you will be successful, I guarentee it.

Always be positive and try to be a little bit different, they have probably been called 20+ already that day!

Be clear and concise try not to waffle and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Expect to **** a few people off, if you do this your surely asking the right questions and putting a good amount of pressure on them, but don't over do it. This will show your being aggressive enough.

It is also a numbers game, more people you phone the better your chance is.

Any specific questions, drop me a mail.

Good luck!
Old 17 August 2001, 07:21 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Nice one matey, well chuffed for ya

Best not ask me about seeling, I'm crap at it, if I know how much money I'm gonna make I start giggling

Bob

Quick Reply: HOORAY - Finally got a job - but need help :)