Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

introduction

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 11:06 AM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning all , basically introducing myself to the site. Just thought i would say hi, im 22 (checked insurance with co's like Tesco,Privelege who im with and direct line. Most around £1500 for now so im happy,will hopefully be cheaper in Jan ) dont have my subaru yet but i am purchasing in January a UK spec one inbetween £9k - £10k

Have budgeted an extra £1.5k - £2k for mods pretty much the same day or week. I am looking at the full scoobysport exhaust £750 or so and the Forge dumpvalve £150 or so. That leaves me with an extra £600 or so play with. Maybe less if i get a personal reg.

What other mods would you people reccomend as i havent ever had much experience with turbo's before.

I want the car to still be day to day run and be reliable but have that power available.

Thanks for your time people, and look forward to hearing from you.

Brett
Old 17 September 2002, 11:17 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard Brett, id have to say a change to the air intake system, either an ITG panel filter or K&N/Blitz filter
Old 17 September 2002, 11:19 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hello,

Read the threads in Drivetrain and the other technical forums to get an idea on what you can do.

Cheers

WB
Old 17 September 2002, 11:22 AM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

Hello Brett,
Take into account large amounts of Optimax,£40 per tank full,200-230mls per tank on my MY01 WRX.............
Expensive but fun
Old 17 September 2002, 11:23 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Talking

First of all, welcome to the fold, you'll never look back

Try Liverpool Victoria (look on the Insurance Forum) since they're coming back with very competitive rates, with and without mods.

Mods I'd recommend would be full de-cat, ITG filter and a Dawes Device to start you off with.
If you're lucky, you'll pick up a car which has been given the treatment anyway so saving the money for more pleasurable modifications.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us !

Old 17 September 2002, 11:39 AM
brett555
Scooby Regular

O yeah, forgot to add , im planning on getting the ITG panel filter as rec'd by scoobysport. Whats a dawes device ????

What sort of power figures am i looking to gain from the said mods ? Filter, Full scoob exhaust,forge dump valve .

Ideally i want to buy the car totally standard as i want to know what work has been done to it and who by and just basically for peace of mind.

Just saving at the moment , just want january to come so i can get the car. Are there many meet ups in the NW ?

Old 17 September 2002, 11:41 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hi Brett - Welcome to the board

Mods - most have already been covered - might be worth talking to your insurers first - just to check their policy on mods. If they don't like them, it might be worth speaking to someone like Greenlight who understand these things!

Judging by your budget, I assume you are going for an older model UK turbo. If that's the case, then you might want to look at brake upgrade options. You don't need to go out and get the full Brembo / AP upgrade (very good if you can afford it), but at a minimum, decent discs and pads should see an improvement.

If you have a car with the older 2-pot front brakes, then it is worth trying to get hold of a later set of 4 pot brakes. Keep an eye on the 'For sale' section as they do come up from time-to-time (or post a thread in 'Wanted').

A set of Eibach springs with geometry setup (plus optional (but highly recommended) bumpsteer modification) by someone like Powerstation will transform the handling of the car.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Chris

Edited to include a link for Dawes Device. Dawes is a manual boost controller. If you are thinking of this, you'll also need a boost gauge and air/fuel ratio meter to be safe. Read all about Dawes here

[Edited by Chris L - 9/17/2002 11:49:32 AM]
Old 17 September 2002, 11:47 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don’t forget about brakes my friend...that kind of money, you are probably looking at something with 2-pots and you will need to upgrade to 4-pots thinks me. Go for a Scoobysport downpipe, and not the twin pipe type that Magnex do. I have fitted and tried both types on Standard UK cars, Sti 5 and a P1.

In Short and in no particular order;
Straight thru SS Exhaust,
17" alloys with Toyo’s
Brake upgrade...
For county driving, Driving lights are essential (PIAA’s)
Induction kit
Short shift gear lever

If you pick up bits and pieces of the Scoobynet a couple of grand will get you there. I would work backwards...if that makes any sense! We tent to want to make "em go fast first"

Get the brakes sorted, and if you do a lot of county driving you will need driving to see where you need to stop! Then improve the handling with 17" alloys and decent tyres, then make it go faster with the exhaust and other goodies.

Like WB says, scroll back through the threads. Most of all have fun and enjoy the car.
Old 17 September 2002, 11:50 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Hi Brett, your not too far from my neck of the woods (Knutsford). There's quite a few Scooby people in and around the Warrington area.

As far as your mods, exhaust/intake upgrades would be my recomendation firstly. Changing the downpipe on a Scooby can free up some cheap horsepower. There's also all sorts of fuelling/boost controllers out there, from a Dawes device ( as mentioned previously), to Apexi/Gems/HKS etc etc. All depends on your budget, and how mad you want to go !

Hope you find the car you want mate.

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport
Old 17 September 2002, 12:06 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

My god , such a speedy response from people. Im glad im walking into a more mature message board. There are so many options then. I feel like a kid in a sweet store now ... so many things to buy.

Looks like im going to have to do some serious reading about the products and evaluate options. Can anyone reccomend some good websites (apart from this one) with some good scooby literature , just so i can brush up on knowledge really.

If there is anyone in the warrington area, i know this may sound a bit forward with me being such a new member. Ive had my heart set on a subaru for a long time, but i have never actually been in one. Was just wondering if anyone out there would be willing to meet up sometime , bascially so i can see the car up close.

Please e-mail on - brett@cadaemia.com

Thanks for your time people.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:24 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Brett,

Buying a Scooby in January for £9-10k should see you able to afford a MY99 with some mods already on the car. MY99+ already come with 4 pots, & many owners will also have added aftermarket wheels, air filters, exhausts etc.

Hugh (MY99 owner who will have had his car for 2 years come January )
Old 17 September 2002, 12:50 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

A good place for general info is the SIDC Faq :

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm