Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAN FINISHED LASTNIGHT!! EVO 7 ON SATURDAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2001, 09:09 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As of lastnight my 28 day ban finished thank god!!!!!! not the british justice system!
On the much much brighter side i went to see my new pearl-red evo 7 today and it looks fantastic, the p1 does not even come close.
I will give you all a comparison as soon as possible as i get it on saturday morning.
J
Old 02 August 2001, 09:26 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>the p1 does not even come close.

J[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

banned sat night?
hmmmmm, not in my opinion! old evos looked a lot better. new evo only marginally better than new scooby. P1 still the best in the looks department, (i'll put my P1 next to an evo anyday and still grin)
Old 02 August 2001, 09:31 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROLL UP, ROLL UP

Place your bets ladies and gents. When will jasons next ban begin.

Evo 7 indeed.....you lucky, lucky bar steward

nutta - can i watch - P1 Vs Evo 7 should be a laugh
Old 02 August 2001, 09:34 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Jason is that THE BIG RED 7 you keep talking about???!!!!
I bet you can hardly sleep waiting for Saturday!
Lucky you mate.

Have fun when it comes.

Kos
Old 02 August 2001, 09:36 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

p1 vs evo 7, there aint much in it. Although I think the evo 7 has the edge from a drivers point of view. Looks wise - Im sick of seeing imprezas, every Tom,Dick and Harry seems to have one, although they are excellent cars.
Old 02 August 2001, 09:39 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ajw:
<B>although they are excellent cars.[/quote]

Maybe thats why
Old 03 August 2001, 03:06 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scoobynutter if you read a previous thread you will see that i took 11 people to see a gunmetal grey evo 7 sat next to my p1 and all 11 said there was no-contest and most went as far as saying the p1 looked sh*t.
Believe me it looks totally different real life, i will get some photo`s of it next to a p1 posted as soon as poss, but i must stress, all p1 owner prepare to get that sinking feeling in your stomach.NO JOKE
J
Old 03 August 2001, 03:38 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Most people on the street will say both the Evo and P1 are damn ugly cars. Most of these people will agree that the Evo looks better because it looks more like a "normal car" (Mondeo/Vectra) than the "over the top" (boy racerish) P1.

Ask anyone who loves performance cars which on looks the best and the roles will be reversed.

Personally I prefer the Evo6 to the 7, and the P1 makes the Evo6 look sh1te.
Old 03 August 2001, 03:41 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Jason - you seem to have some sort of hang up about the P1's looks. Did you think it looked crap before you bought it or did you change your mind when 11 people told you it looked sh*te?
Old 03 August 2001, 03:46 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

in a choice.. id have the P1
no contest
Old 03 August 2001, 04:01 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

28 day ban? Does this not f*ck up your insurance?

Following on the comments on the board over the past few days - I am 26 and have an MY98 5dr. My insurance renewal came through a couple of days ago and it was £830 with direct line (which I thought was brilliant).
Then I told them I had got 3 points for speeding earlier this year and they added £100 on!!
F*ckers!
Old 03 August 2001, 04:02 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Purely subjective but I will throw in my OPINION anyway.

I have driven all of teh above cars and seem them in the process, driving might have been fun if I hadn't!

To me evo 6 looks by far the most purposeful and mean car of the lot.

I have to say I think the P1 looks crap. No offence, it is a great car, bt in the looks department, impreza 2 doors just have side panels and doors which are too long. The only one for me is the 22B. You may say i am biased, but thats why I bought one.

driving wise, I also prefer the 22B but taht aside, the evo 6 in my opinion is more focused than the P1.

That out the way, I have to say I hated the evo 7 in the flesh, it was boring and pig ugly. The rear wing is the worst part. Inside it doesnt have that wrapped around you cockpit feel.

It has a better finish but who cares? If that is what you are after go for a modded TT.

It is simple for me. Of all imprezas it has to be 22B or special 4 door such as Scott Davies. of all Evos, it has to be evo six makinen, but without stickers (sorry Cem )
Old 03 August 2001, 05:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I hope that your getting all the options with the evo7 including the titanium turbo (which doesnt come standard ) but ugly they are, i think its just another "get use to the looks" car but ive seen one in yellow, damn its as ugly as it is in the pics but has nice alloys still...... id be temped by the evo6 over the 7, prefer the agressive features

Nice car thou, just dont get banned again!!
shame about the 150mile range thou

Tony
Old 03 August 2001, 08:56 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

In respect of all the comments which i take with a pinch of salt, the truth be known i had never really liked the impreza as a car but the p1 was different, and is a good car but if it was that good i would still have it!
1 Worst build quality i have ever seen.
2 Blew engine on my first with only 17k on the clock.
3 In the wet it is sh*te understeer city.
4 My old pulsar was just as quick with a better build.
5 Brakes, alloys, bumpsteer, recaro`s should all have been standard.
6 To many impreza`s around which is killing the price of the p1.24k for 3mth old P1.
7 Can`t be modded a great deal engine wise.
8 Turn in is about as responsive as a kettle compared to the 7.
9 P1 looks small and basic in comparison.
10 Evo`s have always been the true drivers car.
In-hindsight i wish i never bought the p1 but that is just my opinion.
sorry folks but the 7 is just a class apart in every department this will be proven in sept/oct offically when tommi gets his.
Just a bit of banter, i will give a true un-bias copmarison asap.
j
Old 03 August 2001, 10:40 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Must admit never driven a 7, two mates got 5s and are happy, i do think a 4 door impreza colour coded with some tidy wheels on looks more balanced tha P1. if you think turn in and wet weather is bad on scoobys yo
u want to try any of the audi range, you will sh*t your sell . ex numerous audi owner. Lee.
Old 05 August 2001, 05:49 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

Jason:
Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? For some1 that says they like P1s you seem to slate the car off a lot. And pulsars, if memory serves me right, have got a reputation for weak engines.

Old 05 August 2001, 07:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

The E7 just doesnt do it for me. Suprising the amount of E6 owners dont like them as well. Very capable car but gone at bit soft around the edges like the MY01 WRX ?

I would have an E6.5 b4 an E7 but then again I prefer my scoob to both. Must learn to live with inferior machinery LOL.

Old 05 August 2001, 08:35 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scoobynutter i think your memory does not serve you at all, as i ran my pulsar at 285bhp for over a year and my friend now has had it 6 month on standard pistons etc with not even a splutter, had a p1 for 11k miles and bang con-rod through the engine casing and piston into the cylinder head.
Which did you say was weak??????????????
Yes i test drove it and yes all round much better car than pulsar but problems were hence list????????
J
Old 05 August 2001, 09:34 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jason b:
<B>

3 In the wet it is sh*te understeer city.

[/quote]

Maybe you are just entering corners too fast? Try staying on the brakes a little more into the bend, or even use left foot braking (practise somewhere safe first!), and 4 wheel drifts are quite easy to achieve, especially in the wet. If you want to sample P1 oversteer, go into a hairpin bend then floor it when the fronts are nearly pointing straight ahead - even in the dry the tail will slide out smoothly.
Old 06 August 2001, 01:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am assuming you had all the faults fixed by IM.When the notoriously unreliable pulsar goes pop, your mate is going to be quite a bit out of pocket. I simply cannot understand why u had a P1, in your threads you constantly put it down crowing about the virtues of evos (i know u said in retrospect, but, if evos are the "true" drivers car, why didnt you buy mitsubishi instead).
In any case any car with active yaw control, four wheel drive,and a whole host of other computer aids to driving,it isnt a true drivers car in my opinion.
Ive run 3 imprezas, a wrx, sti5 typeR and the P1. I have never had any engine problems.
Much of your list is a bit picky, ie. the P1 looks small and basic (yes "basic" lol, if my memory is bad your eyesight must b worse) in comparison to the evo;
and;"Too many impreza`s around which is killing the price of the p1.24k for 3mth old P1." i didnt buy my car to sell in 3 months or even 3 years, its a car i'll be keeping for a long time, resale is not an issue for me for many years to come. And quite frankly if you sell car after 3 months you should expect to lose that kind of money. I could take some more points apart, but i just cant be bothered
And its scoobynutta, not nutter
Old 06 August 2001, 02:07 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well jason b, hows this for evo eating! trackday at croft there was a evo 6 tommi mak, my mate took his porsche 911 rsr and lapped it every 20 min session, ultimate driving machine? watch out 4 porkers. (flame suit on + hard hat!)Lee
Old 06 August 2001, 07:46 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this one.... "The Evo6 looks like its driven in thru a Halfords window and all the bits have just stuck to the front..."

Anyway, my mum says my Sti5 looks much nicer than "those Mitsibushi Impreza's.."

Ho Hum!

Rus

Old 06 August 2001, 08:34 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

My opinion...

The 'Classic' Impreza is ugly - no two ways about it. But a kind of evil/aggressive ugly that we grow to love.

The EVO 6 was a similar beast - ugly, but more aggresive than the Impreza - and I still do prefer its looks to any of the 'Jap Rally specials' (prefer the 6 over the Mak - sorry Cem/Kevin )

The New impreza/WRX is just ugly - it has lost its aggressive appeal, and just become plain ugly. The UK 300 improves it slightly, but only slightly

The EVO is worse still. I have seen 4 now, in three different colours - and it is just bland. Not overly ugly - though no looker either, but just bland bland bland. It looks like a mid-level Vectra even the Vectra GSI look better I have no doubt it is the best driver of the lot, but they have screwed up the looks even more than Subaru have

Is that the reason that Ralliart supplied new EVO6/Maks are still £1000 more than the EVO7??
Old 06 August 2001, 09:24 AM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The cars look aggressive. Not Ugly, but aggressive, but then they are rally replica cars with wings and skirts stuck on.
If you want a pleasant looking car, go for a CLK. Both Impreza turbo and Lancer Evo are rally versions built for a purpose - driving f*cking fast, and they look the part too.
I currently drive an MY98, but my next car could just as easily be an Evo or even a Skyline. I think that all this comparing of cars should be kept for the track..........oh, and I like both the Evo 7 and the new shape Impreza!
Old 06 August 2001, 09:56 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

(here's my $0.02)

You can't go arguing with personal taste (otherwise half of you muppets would still be single, so thank god for that eh ?)

Jason likes his Evo7, you may disagree, but that doesn't make him wrong.

Bear in mind, that a good percentage of threads on this BBS are to do with car theft/vandalism, so I'd have thought a "bland" car would reduce the attention the car gets from thieving scum.

Part of the attraction of the old scooby for me was it's understated looks (bonnet scoop excepted). The Evo6 + P1's shouted "Steal me, steal me NOW"

My personal opinion is that Subaru have now gone too far and made an offensively ugly car, whereas the Evo7 is unoffensively understated..

I need to drive them back to back, but my next car is likely to be an Evo7
Old 06 August 2001, 05:20 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scoobynutter if my friends engine goes band then £595 for a set of hks pistons,gasket and a few little extras he will be running anywhere up 400bhp!!!!! reliable!
My quote about the p1 looking basic is true when they are sitting side-by-side in my opinion, also the reason that i did not buy an evo first is because the 7 was not out and the 6 is a lot harder drive day to day.
J
Old 06 August 2001, 08:28 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

On the subject of pulsars, I've known of a couple, and they are much more tuneable, some people get away with 300+ bhp on standard internals for years! When they do go wrong they aren't the dearest car to fix especially compared to Scoobs when rebuild cost a fortune...

Would I own one, nope, the handling/brakes/wheels/looks all need improvement IMHO, which would make it a very dear car to own...

On the subject of Evo's, I think this 6 has the halfords window look, whereas the 7 is just plain, not plain and nice, and not plain and ugly, just plain, it could do with a different spoiler though!

Jon
Old 07 August 2001, 12:18 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Josan D:
If you wanted a car that was easier to drive day to day u should have got a Fiesta or something.
scoobyNUTTA
Old 07 August 2001, 01:02 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Let's face it though - P1, Evo VI/VII, whatever, they are all cracking cars for a not earth-shattering price which can put a grin on your face and go as quick as almost any car on the roads. There are differences and what you think between them is mainly personal opinion. Personally I prefer the P1 over Evo VI (no experience of the VII, plus it wasn't on sale 10 months ago!), but it's a tiny difference like 5 out of 100. I would be happy owning any of those cars, or a basic scoob turbo for that matter.