Sponsored by:

What is it with bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:36 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B> Anyone who says "i indicated and had to push in" sounds like he made a move that was unsafe for him and the bikers!![/quote]

Doesn't surprise me that he was on the receiving end of a bit of verbal. If someone (impreza or not) tried the same trick on me I'd probably be a bit p155ed as well. The first they probably saw of the scoob was when it appeared right by the side of them and was moving over, which would obviously be seen as an aggressive move.

On the bike I suspect the first time Joe Average sees me is when I'm along side him or move back in 40 yards ahead of him, and I'm not a particularly quick rider. I find the best tactic is to pass people swiftly and cleanly, otherwise hang back and bide your time. The same goes for the scoob, to a lesser extent as is can't make the same gaps as a bike.

Sounds like you caught up a bunch of born-agains in 'touring' mode though... Just bear in mind that the nice bloke/w4nker ratio is probably just the same on bikes as it is with cars.

Old 31 July 2001, 12:39 AM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Bikers? - I guess there's all sorts of rider 'styles' just like there are all sorts of driver 'styles'.
They're a lot more vulnerable than we are.
Best policy - stay out of their way!
Old 31 July 2001, 08:23 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

/me prepares to make one of my sweeping statements

Ok.. I know alot of "bikers". Not the old ppl who get the tourers n potter round like there driving metro's still.I can honestly say I've ever had a problem like that and they've always been really nice ppl. Then again I've never managed to catch one let alone pass him / her

I think you just had one of those bad experiences.... unless were they all wearing luminus jackets and 1 had a big BMW and the others on 50cc bikes with L plates
Old 31 July 2001, 08:50 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

I've had a similar problem trying to overtake two bikers who were SO not looking in their rear view mirrors.

You just gotta be careful as you really do not want to knock anybody off.

Eventually they noticed I was there and let me past

JD
Old 31 July 2001, 09:12 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

What is it with people called Lee P? All the ones I've ever met spend most of their time wingeing and crying like a spoilt puppy. Oh Yes - And what is it with car drivers - They all drive about at 4 MPH on the outside lane of the motorway.

Disclaimer - I have heard a person called Lee P crying like a spoilt puppy once and I once saw a guy drive at 4MPH in the outside lane of the motorway. This gives me carte blanche to make sweeping generalisations about all Lee P's and drivers
Old 31 July 2001, 09:20 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

I make you right, I have great respect for bike riders in general but you do get a lot of prats out there.
I was driving on the M25 early evening some weeks ago in heavy rain ( thank god for rain-ex ) doing the usual 70 ish over taking a lorry , the spray from the lorry was mega, when suddenly a biker came up on my rear quater, I usually pull over for these guys/girls but this biker was so impatient, he then under took me with no more than a foot each side of me and the truck , total brain out job.
Since then I seem to attract these ***** who weave in and out.
Can anyone tell me WHY DOES A BIKER WHATEVER SIZE BIKE OR ON WHATEVER TYPE OF ROAD IN ANY CONDITION ALWAYS HAVE TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU.And please, don't tell me it's safer in front.

Sorry to go on and on and on and on.
Old 31 July 2001, 09:26 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by LEE P:
<B>egit didnt even see me and cut the corner, my **** was twitching for him LEE.[/quote]

Sorry mate - complete tosh!!

As the driver behind another vehicle (be it a bike or a car) you have to be the one prepared to get out of its way and not go into the back. If you knocked him off guess who'd get the book thrown at them - you!!!

You cant expect a biker to be worried about whats behind him on the twisties - its his bit of road until you pass him - then he has to watch out for you. He has every right to move about - hes still not taking up as much room as a car would!!!

And by the way - the same story could be said about sunday drivers - theres plenty of ****e drivers (and dangerous ones like you sound) - so quit making out "us bikers" are all prats.

Jza (flame suit on)
Old 31 July 2001, 09:34 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

JZA, why do you infer that Lee is a dangerous driver???
Old 31 July 2001, 10:11 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Just a little comment to make about this, unless the guy turned round and looked (ah the old lifesavers) they might not have known they you there.

MANY sportbike mirrors are next to useless (especially if your my size!) as the angle you sit at means all you see in your mirrors are your elbows and yours a*se.

This is certainly the case for ducatis, might as well take the mirrors off. Kwaks are about the best i've ever had.

The chances of them hearing you are also slim if they had race pipes on.

Not defending the people who were riding in this case, just saying that bike mirrors in some cases are not very useable, and the chances of a bike hearing you behind are not good in some cases.

Old 31 July 2001, 10:27 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then they should fix their mirrors so they can see what's behind them. I am sick to death of bikers driving down my road outside my house (30 limit, small country lane, one car width, double blind corner, no streetlamps or road markings, no pavement just hedges) at between 50 and 80-odd mph. I could so easily wipe one out when coming out of my driveway, or they could easily have a major head-on with a car coming the other way. Is it cool to drive that fast on a double blind corner? I wouldn't feel so cool about killing one of them on my way to work. Not once have I witnessed a biker drive past my house at, or under, the speed limit. There have already been two deaths on that stretch, I've witnessed 5 accidents in my 1.5 years living there. The road is covered in black rubber lines. I've considered writing to the council to put some physical measures in place. Please be careful when driving around country lanes, that goes for everyone!

Edited to say, (this is for car drivers mainly) tooting your horn just before you enter a corner at 60mph doesn't make it safer, it makes you look like an utter **** thinking it'll save someone from smashing into you. Do you think other drivers can hear your horn? Think again.

Steve.

[This message has been edited by stevencotton (edited 31 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by stevencotton (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 10:49 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
tooting your horn just before you enter a corner at 60mph doesn't make it safer
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It certainly doesn't make it less safe. The dangerous bit is the 60, not the horn.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:04 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I didn't say using the horn was dangerous, I said it wouldn't make driving at that speed any safer. There are usually a lot of horses, cyclists and joggers on that road (and most country lanes, especially in this weather), there is no pavement or anywhere to go. If you fly around a bend tooting your horn hoping whatever is around the corner will get out of the way, God be with you. You could well end up killing someone, or yourself.

Steve.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:22 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

'Then they should fix their mirrors so they can see what's behind them'

You haven't been on a sport bike have you steven?

The mirrors are on little stems, bolted to the fairing. In some cases the mirrors have a small amount of movement where you can try to manouvre them to see behind (though when cornering all you'll see in one mirror is yourself and probably the sky in the other).
But on other bikes the mirrors have no movement whatsoever.

If that bike is narrow, all i see in them is myself!

The only option would be to remove the standard mirrors and bolt on some nasty aftermarket thing, thats if there is such a bolt on, i havent seen one.

This is why during lessons/tests etc they encourage the use of life savers (turn head round) to see whats behind you when setting off, passing, or changing lanes etc.
But if the bike requires you to sit high at the back and low at the bars turning your head can result in the helmet just hitting the padding on your shoulders and still not seeing behind (especially in Ducatis case).
Meaning the only time i can see behind is when i'm sitting bolt upright, take one hand off the bars, then turn round, not particularly ideal.

I'm not having a go, just telling you what its like from a riders pov.

Other types of bike e.g. cruisers and tourers have much more useable mirrors, but the sportbikes are a bit poor.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:26 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arron:
WHY DOES A BIKER WHATEVER SIZE BIKE OR ON WHATEVER TYPE OF ROAD IN ANY CONDITION ALWAYS HAVE TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU.And please, don't tell me it's safer in front.

You dont buy a bike to drive in a line of cars at 38 MPH
Scoob and bike owner
Andyp
Old 31 July 2001, 11:29 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

That's fair enough, but I'm surprised the law allows it. I would have thought you would have to be able to see behind you from your driving position? Must be annoying to have to sit up and look around each time you want to look back, I guess that's the risk you take.

Steve.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:49 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Andy P,
I did'nt buy a scoob to drive in a line of cars at 38mph either,I don't under and overtake any vehicle infront of me when I feel like it.As I said in my post I have great respect for bikers but not to the point when it could lead to a major incident on a busy road due to their riding manor.
Arron.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:56 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Disco:
<B>JZA, why do you infer that Lee is a dangerous driver???[/quote]

Havent got time to re-read my post, send to solicitor to check "inference" etc. Sorry!! Bleedin english teachers!!!

Anyone who says "i indicated and had to push in" sounds like he made a move that was unsafe for him and the bikers!!

Why dont you question him about it!!!

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 12:22 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Was in between jobs on a twisty bit of B road wen i caught up on four bikes, when i tried to take a couple of em they decided to close the gap up, i indicated and had to push in. past the second two and the egit didnt even see me and cut the corner, my **** was twitching for him, got on my way and didnt see em until i got caught up in traffic then they came up along side giving abuse! if a bike catches me i indicate and let him past would be nice if they would do the same, not all bikers are as quick as cars on the twisty stuff. is it just my impreza thats like red rag to a bull for bikers? LEE.
Old 31 July 2001, 12:28 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Flame suit on????
Old 31 July 2001, 12:32 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don`t worry m8 there`s @rseholes everywhere, specially when you drive a Scooby.
I just smiles at em, winds em up even more!

Cheers
SCOOP
Old 31 July 2001, 12:49 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cryptwalk:
<B>Flame suit on???? [/quote]
Old 31 July 2001, 12:53 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Wink

FLAME SUIT ON? Ha like i said iwas working, thats just for weekends!
Old 31 July 2001, 01:16 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Arron:
<B>Andy P,
I did'nt buy a scoob to drive in a line of cars at 38mph either,I don't under and overtake any vehicle infront of me when I feel like it.As I said in my post I have great respect for bikers but not to the point when it could lead to a major incident on a busy road due to their riding manor.
Arron.[/quote]

My point is that you can overtake MUCH easier on a bike, even on single carrigways.
I don't ride dangerously, but I do overtake whenever I can, I admit some bikers are **** but there everywhere unfortunatley,
Andyp
Old 31 July 2001, 02:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

You get it everywhere, cars and bikers the same, the ones who want to get past you as quickly as possible and will do any means or manouver to do it
I think IMHO that both bikers and car drivers who make these silly manouvers need to be involved in a good accident, ie, car/bike v wall etc just to get it into their thick skulls that a.(car drivers) seat belts save lives and cars crunch just like bones do! b. (bikers) your bloody vulnerable and if you dont wear your leathers, even in this nice warm spell, your going to get hurt (example was guy coming off bike at 100+mph at crail a few weeks back, bounced nicely, was impressed that he only had a cut on his hand )
Its nice to play, but only where its safe

Tony
Old 31 July 2001, 03:10 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by TonyBurns:
<B>You get it everywhere, cars and bikers the same, the ones who want to get past you as quickly as possible and will do any means or manouver to do it[/quote]

I know the sort, they can only drive fast by taking lots of risks. Driving fast, safely without taking risks is a different ball game but some people just don't understand the difference.

Old 31 July 2001, 03:42 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Andy p,
I hear what your saying , but the point you made is bikes overtake quicker than cars, fare play but my my point is that bikes also undertake which is crazy on busy roads, you could get taken off very easily if a motorist is not paying as much attention as you the biker may be.
Arron.( go on your turn )
Old 31 July 2001, 03:54 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Arron:
<B>Andy p,
I hear what your saying , but the point you made is bikes overtake quicker than cars, fare play but my my point is that bikes also undertake which is crazy on busy roads, you could get taken off very easily if a motorist is not paying as much attention as you the biker may be.
Arron.( go on your turn )[/quote]

Never seen anyone undertake on a normal road. Explain - do you mean on a dual carriage way. Cars can do that too - its not just bikers. Or do you mean "filtering" between two rows of cars - if so that totally legal on a bike (unless your going silly fast!!).

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 04:11 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Look guys wasnt trying to start a world war, just to put the record straight i have great respect for bikers, just these ones werent travelling at gresat speed and i tailed them for a mile or so, u can tell when somebody in front of u knows yoiur behind when there head is checking there mirror, they saw me pull out behind em from a junction, there was loads of room between them just stupid to close the gap once i committed to pass, i should not of genralised, ihave had this with car drivers, but why not let some one go by if they are sight seeing. which goes back to my point of people who hate being passed by scoobys. p.s never cry like a puppy.
Old 31 July 2001, 04:27 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

plent good fun bikers that are curteous on the road... plenty of bikers who are not friendly when they race and plenty that are a great laugh and happy to have some entertainment

its like everything i suppse, plenty scooby drivers that dont wave after i blow them away, plenty that are happy to have some fun.

just the way it goes i suppose

rw
Old 31 July 2001, 04:33 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

JZA,
I think what you mean is it is legal to undertake on a dual carriageway if the lane you are in is moving faster than the others.

What I mean is it is NOT legal to undertake between two vechile, this is deemed DANGEROUS DRIVING we are all guilty off breaking the road trafic laws but some of these riders take the p**s.Not only do they put their own lives at risk but others too.

Quick Reply: What is it with bikers?