Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats all this about speeding being decriminalised?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2001, 10:42 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Old 01 August 2001, 10:46 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Yes I believe there is........
It will mean that the courts will be relieved of criminal prosecution cases for speeding (although dangerous/drunk driving will remain in their court).....and therefore allow more time to be put aside for 'more important cases'......
Some cynics may say that its a way for the government to get more revenue quicker !!!!

Gastro
Old 01 August 2001, 11:11 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thats alright, as long as they dont give you points anymore. Just stick a grand in the bank and go round speeding with impunity till you get caught. Pay the fine then top up the amount taken when you can till you get to the grand. Then go out speeding with impunity again!
astraboy.
Old 01 August 2001, 11:54 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Astraboy, that's pretty much the system they have (had?) in Russia in the last few years.

Curiously enough, they don't have a particularly good road safety record either. Of course, the massive amounts of illegal money, the ease of buying firearms, and the general penchant for vodka until you collapse doesn't help things!

Good luck with that Gumball when you go!

BJH
Old 01 August 2001, 06:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

... so the end result will be to privatise the enforcement of speed limits

It's bad enough letting the Police have some of the fines back (i.e. massive increases in Gatsos) - but in private hands, i dread to think how stupid it would get

mb
Old 02 August 2001, 07:59 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Like I said, If you want to go out for a rip just subtley alter your numberplate with some electrical tape. Then when these private companies spring out you can give it the forks as you rocket past. They take your number (false) they have no power to chase you so they can never find you....
just a suggestion
astraboy.
Old 02 August 2001, 09:56 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Now that is an interesting idea. If the privatise it then, as you say, they have no power to chase you, thus how could they inforce the penalty, guess they'd radio copshop and get a car out to chase you, hmm.

Of course I can't/won't do it, mainly as even if I changed the numberplate the blackbeast is a little bit too unsubtle to go unoticed
Old 02 August 2001, 10:14 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B> guess they'd radio copshop and get a car out to chase you, hmm.

Of course I can't/won't do it, mainly as even if I changed the numberplate the blackbeast is a little bit too unsubtle to go unoticed [/quote]

That wouldn't happen as all they would do is see a number plate and take it as red that its correct. its only when it comes to processeing that they would be stumped and you would be in the clear.
With regard to the black beast. like a white 3-door cossie is going to blend in better...
astraboy.
Old 02 August 2001, 07:10 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

The problem lies with the points system. Once you get so many points you are baned from driving. You loose your job and the government has to look after you, costing them the money they took off you in fines. If they do not ban you then they can carry on collecting income from you. Your happy you don't get banned and they are happy more fine money. Its just another form of TAX really.